Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 PM

11 posts, read 21,160 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to relocate from CA to the Upstate area to be closer to my parents who are in Salem. We're thinking of anywhere from Greenwood to Spartanburg, to Anderson, to Walhalla or places in between. Our kids are grown, so no need to worry about schools.

We have two major concerns:

1. We have horses and would like to find acreage, something close to trail riding if possible. I would like to start or get involved in a handicapped riding program. Also, I'd like to possibly start a program for at-risk youth working with horses. We are currently very active with the BLM Mustang and Burro adoption program, and are wondering if there are any mustang owners in the area, and if BLM ever holds adoptions in the area. When it comes to property, it is more about having acreage, and less about a fancy house. We're pretty simple people who just enjoy our horses and would like to work with kids and horses. So any suggestions on areas to look for inexpensive land would be great. Also, good vets are important, so any recommendations there would be helpful, too.

2. Second concern is finding a job. Currently I teach drafting at a local community college, and have sent resumes to Piedmont Tech, and TCTC. Are there any other community colleges in the area that have a drafting program? Enrollments are usually up during economic downturns, but that does not mean schools are hiring. I also have been working as a building designer for the last six years. That industry is pretty dead right now.
However, I have a long career as a vet tech, animal control officer, animal shelter manager, boarding kennel manager, and boarding stable owner. Ultimately, I'd like to run my own business. Is there a need for boarding stables, if so what areas, and what type of services are people looking for at a stable? I ran a combo full service / self service stable, with an arena and round pen, but no trails. I'd like to maybe add lessons, and the non-profit activities mentioned above. Are there any camps in the area with riding programs? What about handicapped riding programs? I see there are several in the area, is there somewhere this need is not being met?

Just an observance on my part that might not be accurate: It seems that although hay is less expensive there ($5/bale), the cost of board is much more expensive ($200-325), and that larger (10 acres or more) tracts of land are proportionally more expensive than smaller tracts (5 acres). Is it that there are not many larger tracts available?

Ok, so if there are any suggetions from anyone in the upstate, I'd really love to hear them. Thanks for your time!

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 AM

745 posts, read 2,222,139 times
I can't help you much with the horse info, but someone will come along soon. As for land, the bigger pieces get grabbed up by developers, usually before they ever get on the market. When you look for land, do lots of homework. There are a number of tools at your disposal, such as GIS sites and Google Earth that can help you determine if the land is suitable for your needs. We spent a lot of time looking at land that was either too steep and rocky, or had a lot of flood zone, etc. It sounds like you need good usable land for your ventures. Also, make sure the land is zoned for your intentions. I was surprised at the amount of tracts that had restrictions of all sorts, ranging from minimum house size to what kind of livestock (if any) you were allowed to have. Your best bet would probably be a 'flag' lot, which is land that is land-locked except for a narrow strip allowing access from the road. These are less attractive to developers.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM

511 posts, read 1,516,206 times
Default re-locating

You can find larger tracts but may have to look in Anderson, Pickens, Dacusville, Travelers Rest and Inman. I did a quick search on both the Greenville & Anderson multiple listing and this is what I found. Greenville-price range from $228,500 to $1.8 million. Areas range from Clinton SC to Campobello. On the Anderson mls--price range $230 to $642. In Greenville I told it pasture, barn, riding area and horses allowed. Anderson is a little different so I told it barn, pasture with 6-10 acres. I know where there are 30 acres for sale with a house and they allow horses. It is a for sale by owner but I could get the info if you would like. It is directly across from a home with several horses. There is also another one near where I live in Easley. It was on the market at one time but they took it off. Never hurts to ask if they still want to sell. It has room for boarding, riding and they give lessons.
Can't help with the employment but you could try Greenville Tech. They have a campus on 291 and they have the Northwest Campus. Tri County is building in Powdersville and they have one in Pendleton SC.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
I am seriously considering relocating from Long Island, NY to upstate...I love Windham...with it's quaint, charming town...someone suggested looking at Catskill, NY. Might look at buying a store front with apartment upstairs...any thoughts?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM

207 posts, read 553,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammiegrandma View Post
I am seriously considering relocating from Long Island, NY to upstate...I love Windham...with it's quaint, charming town...someone suggested looking at Catskill, NY. Might look at buying a store front with apartment upstairs...any thoughts?

I think you may be in the wrong forum. This is for upstate, SC not NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area