Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 PM

71 posts, read 99,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The recession killed it. It was 2008. Thats why Dillards went to the mall, that and Belk agreed to close their mens and home store for the Dillards space. But I'd like to see Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jasons Deli, DSW, Jo Ann Fabric, Panda Express, Jared, Carrabbas, Total Wine, Chuck E Cheese, Brixx Pizza, Barnes N Noble, PF Changs, Marshalls, World Market, Carolina Ale House, TGI Fridays, Sticky Fingers, and Qdoba I think Anderson could handle. Add in the smaller stores like White House/Black Market, Loft, Urban Nirvana, Chicos, Yankee Candle, J Crew, Urban Outfitters, Jos A Bank, etc.

Beltline is supposed to go in the empty land behind Golden Corral/Staples/Same Club. They paved a road to connect Brown Road to Fritz Drive. Its all zoned commercial and theres enough room. The "BL Plaza" sign has been sitting beside Golden Corral for years (or as long as I can remember). Theres also some available lots still at Anderson Station.

Or they could revive the lifestyle center at exit 19 plans or redevelop the mall. Either way, Anderson has the demographics and income and regional draw to attract these stores, but Anderson is always slow in getting things into action. It took 4 years just to build the 3 mile connector. It'd be good to make BLP happen, then we wouldnt have to hop on 85 to Gville every time.
I'm not sure Anderson does have the population to support all those stores b/c they would all be there if true. It has nothing to do with Anderson, private businesses decide to go to a place. The city doesn't make that choice for them. This isn't a big population in Anderson in the 20-40 range which is probably why you don't see that much stuff there. Anderson actually has a lot more than it would if Clemson wasn't nearby.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Default Anderson, South Carolina Retail

Quote:
The recession killed it. It was 2008. Thats why Dillards went to the mall, that and Belk agreed to close their mens and home store for the Dillards space. But I'd like to see Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jasons Deli, DSW, Jo Ann Fabric, Panda Express, Jared, Carrabbas, Total Wine, Chuck E Cheese, Brixx Pizza, Barnes N Noble, PF Changs, Marshalls, World Market, Carolina Ale House, TGI Fridays, Sticky Fingers, and Qdoba I think Anderson could handle. Add in the smaller stores like White House/Black Market, Loft, Urban Nirvana, Chicos, Yankee Candle, J Crew, Urban Outfitters, Jos A Bank, etc.

Beltline is supposed to go in the empty land behind Golden Corral/Staples/Same Club. They paved a road to connect Brown Road to Fritz Drive. Its all zoned commercial and theres enough room. The "BL Plaza" sign has been sitting beside Golden Corral for years (or as long as I can remember). Theres also some available lots still at Anderson Station.

Or they could revive the lifestyle center at exit 19 plans or redevelop the mall. Either way, Anderson has the demographics and income and regional draw to attract these stores, but Anderson is always slow in getting things into action. It took 4 years just to build the 3 mile connector. It'd be good to make BLP happen, then we wouldnt have to hop on 85 to Gville every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
I'm not sure Anderson does have the population to support all those stores b/c they would all be there if true. It has nothing to do with Anderson, private businesses decide to go to a place. The city doesn't make that choice for them. This isn't a big population in Anderson in the 20-40 range which is probably why you don't see that much stuff there. Anderson actually has a lot more than it would if Clemson wasn't nearby.
Anderson can support and in time will have these chains mentioned. I wonder when Costco and The Fresh Market intend to open and who will be jumping in on the south Anderson retail revival.

Additional Reading:
Anderson, South Carolina Retail

Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Anderson can support and in time will have these chains mentioned. I wonder when Costco and The Fresh Market intend to open and who will be jumping in on the south Anderson retail revival.

Additional Reading:
Anderson, South Carolina Retail
Ok, well I think the retailers know the market better than we do. Obviously they have some doubts about Anderson. I think Anderson has actually lost some population over the last 5 years but some of that is probably just going to the Powdersville area. I think the Powdersville area has more potential for this stuff than Anderson does. That will be central to both Easley and Anderson plus the growing Pville area.

A lot of this stuff Greenville, a much larger city, only got recently like PF Changs.

I don't think stuff like Jason's Deli is really expanding much right now. Anderson will get a McAlister's Deli, because they said they planned to open up like 10 stores in SC this year and they are already in every other market except Anderson.

What happened with this Beltlize Plaza thing is obvious....retailers pulled out and the developer has not been able to replace them.

South Anderson retail revival? lol Clemson Blvd isn't landing stuff but south Anderson is going to become a destination? Revival implies it used to have stuff which doesn't seem likely.

Last edited by Clempson; 07-06-2014 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Anderson has a city limit pop of 26,000, but an urban pop of near 80,000. Then add in Clemson/Seneca, Abbeville, and Northeast Georgia residents. Anderson is a regional hub for the western side of the region. Just like Spartanburg caters to Union, and Cherokee or Greenwood with the Ninty Six area. Anderson doesnt have these places becasue the development isnt there. Theres no where for these stores to go. Theres some available lots just sitting, but nothing is moving in terms of shopping centers, unlike other cities in Anderson's range. If BLP just got going like it shouldve been or if the mall was redone, we'd see at least some of those stores move in. The population is big enough. If Florence or Burlington, NC can have it, Anderson can.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, well I think the retailers know the market better than we do. Obviously they have some doubts about Anderson. I think Anderson has actually lost some population over the last 5 years but some of that is probably just going to the Powdersville area. I think the Powdersville area has more potential for this stuff than Anderson does. That will be central to both Easley and Anderson plus the growing Pville area.

A lot of this stuff Greenville, a much larger city, only got recently like PF Changs.

I don't think stuff like Jason's Deli is really expanding much right now. Anderson will get a McAlister's Deli, because they said they planned to open up like 10 stores in SC this year and they are already in every other market except Anderson.

What happened with this Beltlize Plaza thing is obvious....retailers pulled out and the developer has not been able to replace them.

South Anderson retail revival? lol Clemson Blvd isn't landing stuff but south Anderson is going to become a destination? Revival implies it used to have stuff which doesn't seem likely.

Retailers did not "pull out" because it never got going. Not yet. And Powdersville is and will always be a bedroom community. They will not become the next mecca. Pville residents already have 2 options - Easley or Gville. Pville is one reason Easley is currently getting what it is. What major growth has Pickens County seen lately? Thats why Pville has Greenville and Easley zip codes.

Growth or no growth, Anderson is still miles ahead of Powdersville and Anderson has not lost population, it has steadily grown like the rest of the Upstate outside of Greenville County. Something like PF Changs may be a stretch, but most of the things I named are not, and again are in cities similar to Andersons size and demos, Anderson is just lagging behind in willing developers.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Anderson has a city limit pop of 26,000, but an urban pop of near 80,000. Then add in Clemson/Seneca, Abbeville, and Northeast Georgia residents. Anderson is a regional hub for the western side of the region. Just like Spartanburg caters to Union, and Cherokee or Greenwood with the Ninty Six area. Anderson doesnt have these places becasue the development isnt there. Theres no where for these stores to go. Theres some available lots just sitting, but nothing is moving in terms of shopping centers, unlike other cities in Anderson's range. If BLP just got going like it shouldve been or if the mall was redone, we'd see at least some of those stores move in. The population is bug enough. Is Florence or Burlington, NC can have it, Anderson can.
lol, I'm from Florence and Florence doesn't have most of what you listed. But Florence also doesn't have a Greenville 25 minutes up the interstate.

Anderson could support those stores but they have a certain profit margin they want to make, they don't want to just survive.

If developers aren't moving in Anderson it is because they don't see any interest by retailers there. The profit motive would have Anderson all built out if there was no risk in the market.

I looked at the Anderson list of stores and map and it doesn't look as empty as you claimed it was. Not a bad selection for a small mall. I didn't see The Gap on there, are those even still around at all? I remember a GAP being there when I was at Clemson in late 90s.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Retailers did not "pull out" because it never got going. Not yet. And Powdersville is and will always be a bedroom community. They will not become the next mecca. Pville residents already have 2 options - Easley or Gville. Pville is one reason Easley is currently getting what it is. What major growth has Pickens County seen lately? Thats why Pville has Greenville and Easley zip codes.

Growth or no growth, Anderson is still miles ahead of Powdersville and Anderson has not lost population, it has steadily grown like the rest of the Upstate outside of Greenville County. Something like PF Changs may be a stretch, but most of the things I named are not, and again are in cities similar to Andersons size and demos, Anderson is just lagging behind in willing developers.
I think you are wrong about Powdersville. That is becoming a pretty affluent area of Greenville. It is going to get stuff. Makes as much sense to build on 153 as it does 123 in Easley. I don't think the Woodruff road area is all htat convenient to Pville people.

I think Anderson has lost residents but all the new peopel coming in keeps some population growth there.

I don't think I've ever seen a Carrabas in a town as small as Anderson. I know Florence and Aiken don't have one. Mt Pleasant did not even have one until recently. Given there is an Olive Garden plus local Italian places in Anderson, it doesn't look like that great of a market for Italian restaurant.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I think you are wrong about Powdersville. That is becoming a pretty affluent area of Greenville. It is going to get stuff. Makes as much sense to build on 153 as it does 123 in Easley. I don't think the Woodruff road area is all htat convenient to Pville people.

I think Anderson has lost residents but all the new peopel coming in keeps some population growth there.

I don't think I've ever seen a Carrabas in a town as small as Anderson. I know Florence and Aiken don't have one. Mt Pleasant did not even have one until recently. Given there is an Olive Garden plus local Italian places in Anderson, it doesn't look like that great of a market for Italian restaurant.
I research the demographics, again Anderson has not lost residents since the days when Anderson, Gville, and Sburg all did, and even with Powdersville growth, it will still be a longgggggg time before it reaches Andersons urban cluster of 80,000. Powdersville is a bedroom community. Its cheaper housing and larger lots for people who want to live in "Greenville", but dont want the compactness of the city. Powdersville is currently around 8,000, and you dont have people from Easley and Greenville going to shop in Powdersville, unlike Anderson which again draws regional residents. Pville is less than 15 from Magnolia Park and 10 or less from Haywood so its pretty convenient.

And youre taking everything literal too much. I did not say those stores are what Anderson needs, but what I would like to personally see and what I think Anderson could handle. We handle Texas, Longhorn, Outback, Logans, and Tuckers Steakhouses just fine, why cant we handle 2 Italian chains? Mt P is a picky city, they wouldve had a Cheesecake Factory and Costco by now if they werent uptight with what goes there.

And what you said about the mall, its very lackluster, and half of is pretty empty with virtually no foot traffic. It should be redone. Im guessing thats up to Simon, but I think they should look into it. Like I said, all Anderson needs is better developers to tackle this land thats already been prepped. If the recession didnt hit, or if the proposed lifestyle center was done in say 2006 rather than 2008, a lot of what I named would be here. They just need somewhere to go.

Thats all I have on this though, we're repeating ourselves at this point. Dont even know how Powdersville got brought into this.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I research the demographics, again Anderson has not lost residents since the days when Anderson, Gville, and Sburg all did, and even with Powdersville growth, it will still be a longgggggg time before it reaches Andersons urban cluster of 80,000. Powdersville is a bedroom community. Its cheaper housing and larger lots for people who want to live in "Greenville", but dont want the compactness of the city. Powdersville is currently around 8,000, and you dont have people from Easley and Greenville going to shop in Powdersville, unlike Anderson which again draws regional residents. Pville is less than 15 from Magnolia Park and 10 or less from Haywood so its pretty convenient.

And youre taking everything literal too much. I did not say those stores are what Anderson needs, but what I would like to personally see and what I think Anderson could handle. We handle Texas, Longhorn, Outback, Logans, and Tuckers Steakhouses just fine, why cant we handle 2 Italian chains? Mt P is a picky city, they wouldve had a Cheesecake Factory and Costco by now if they werent uptight with what goes there.

And what you said about the mall, its very lackluster, and half of is pretty empty with virtually no foot traffic. It should be redone. Im guessing thats up to Simon, but I think they should look into it. Like I said, all Anderson needs is better developers to tackle this land thats already been prepped. If the recession didnt hit, or if the proposed lifestyle center was done in say 2006 rather than 2008, a lot of what I named would be here. They just need somewhere to go.

Thats all I have on this though, we're repeating ourselves at this point. Dont even know how Powdersville got brought into this.
According to mall map, it isn't half empty. Maybe 3 empty spaces. It is simply a small mall and small malls generally get less traffic and people in Anderson go to Haywood because it is bigger.

Why don't you write these restaurants/retailers and tell them they should come to Anderson. I'm guessing that have some data that doesn't agree with you. Like I said, I think places could survive there but they don't want to just survive so they go to markets where they can really turn a profit. You aren't looking at it big picture, they can open up shop anywhere so they are going to the best less risky places first, as they see it.

Pville was brought up because I think it will get shopping centers /restaurants soon, before Anderson does. There is less stuff in Pville than Anderson yet a lot of new growth and that is a more attractive market. I never said people currently shop in Powdersville. lol Obviously that can't be true.

MP isn't that picky, they have a Burger King and McDonalds for Christ sake. lol

Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
According to mall map, it isn't half empty. Maybe 3 empty spaces. It is simply a small mall and small malls generally get less traffic and people in Anderson go to Haywood because it is bigger.

Why don't you write these restaurants/retailers and tell them they should come to Anderson. I'm guessing that have some data that doesn't agree with you. Like I said, I think places could survive there but they don't want to just survive so they go to markets where they can really turn a profit. You aren't looking at it big picture, they can open up shop anywhere so they are going to the best less risky places first, as they see it.

Pville was brought up because I think it will get shopping centers /restaurants soon, before Anderson does. There is less stuff in Pville than Anderson yet a lot of new growth and that is a more attractive market. I never said people currently shop in Powdersville. lol Obviously that can't be true.

MP isn't that picky, they have a Burger King and McDonalds for Christ sake. lol

Dude, I live a few minutes from the mall, I go in there, I know what I see. Lots of stores have been shuttered compared to say 2002. I dont care about a map, I physically go to the mall. Half empty is an exaggeration, again youre taking it too literal, but it is not near capacity. And once you get out the main corridor, foot traffic becomes "rural".

And Im not writing them, they can survive, like I said a million times, the developers are lacking. These stores arent looking because theres no where to go, not because "Anderson isnt good enough." Have you seen Hwy 81? Now compared to just 6 years ago? Not all of Anderson growth is in Pville like you think. And again, if you have people coming from another state to shop in a city because its the largest between Athens and Greenville, what makes Pville (the bedroom community) so attractive? From a work perspective as well, where do you think many Clemson, Tri County, etc. students choose to work? Clemson Blvd 15 minutes away or in Powdersville?

We got Dicks, Kohls, and Staples because developers finally said "lets turn this half empty car lot into something viable", they did, and now look, and that attracted Starbucks and Chipotle to move in. Mens Warehouse moved in because developers finally stepped up and built more outparcel space in Northhills Commons. Academy came (just a few hundred yards from Dicks) because the developers of North Hills Center finally said "lets get rid of this empty Circuit City and Books AM and get something here." Once they agreed to tear those empty stores down, then Academy showed interest. Without that, we still wouldnt have Academy. Once they finally get together and get BLP going, these stores will become interested, but until there is somewhere for them to go, they arent interested. Or if the lifestyle center plans had survived the recession, theyd already be here. The demand is there. The development is not.

And yes Mt P is very picky. Their residents are currently in an uproar because theyre building a parking garage and buildings that are like 75 feet on Coleman Blvd, and they want height restricted to 60 feet. Im from Charleston as well. Everywhere has a McDonalds and BK wtf? Beverly Hills probably has multiple. Like I said, CC Factory and Costco were rumored looking at Mt P for possible locations in front of the town center, but residents said no, they didnt want that land turned into another retail trap. But seriously, this is dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area