Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 01:14 PM

31 posts, read 32,086 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the normal growing season is for vegetable gardens? Can you get 2 harvests of vegetables in your back yard in one year? In Wisconsin, we can only get one harvest. We are coming down in June for a week to scout around to see of we want to move there and whether all of my research is accurate. The Greenville area seems very nice. We will be retiring in about 5 years and we are worn out from the winters up here and do not want to wait much longer.

Last edited by greatscott; 01-29-2023 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Accidently posted before I completed my questions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 01:39 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Depends on what you want to grow. We use to set out tomato plants 6 - 8 weeks a part. Now, we just buy at local roadside stands and farmers markets.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:05 PM

It clearly states vegetables.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:54 AM

604 posts, read 583,609 times
We have a nearly year-round growing season here. I'll be planting peas in mid-February. Tender crops generally go in mid to late April. Summer can get too hot for some veggies, but the heat lovers will flourish. Around mid-August, I put in cool weather plants like collards, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. I've harvested broccoli as late as Thanksgiving. The collards will go all winter long, although they got nearly wiped out by rare single digit temperatures over Christmas. They're still alive, though, and slowly developing new leaves.

I'm still getting the hang of gardening here. We have poor, heavy clay soil. Our best results have been green beans, collards, okra, zucchini, and hot peppers. Tomatoes have been a bust for ten years now due to blight and wilt, which are soil-borne diseases. The one time I tried broccoli it did well, too, and we grow tons of basil.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:54 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
It clearly states vegetables.
What you plant and what I would plant may be 2 different things. Being a little more specific will go a long ways.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 01-30-2023 at 05:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2023, 06:06 AM

89 posts, read 73,773 times
I agree with "UpstateJohn" and would like to add that looking for help and being rude are not the best accompaniments; next you will be pointing out that tomatoes are a fruit. However, check out this site to learn about growing all types of plants and more specifically to your point, vegetables in our area. I am a certified Master Gardener from Clemson. https://hgic.clemson.edu/all-factsheets/

Old 02-01-2023, 08:41 AM

241 posts, read 386,642 times
we can get two full rounds of tomatoes if we start seeds indoors in March or buy transplants early spring (last frost ~Apr 15).

Getting a full spring/summer harvest and a full fall harvest of veggies is not a prob at all.

Fall collards can last through entire winter

Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
we can get two full rounds of tomatoes if we start seeds indoors in March or buy transplants early spring (last frost ~Apr 15).

Getting a full spring/summer harvest and a full fall harvest of veggies is not a prob at all.

Fall collards can last through entire winter

Yeah, I get tomatoes and peppers pretty much all summer long and into the fall.. Oftentimes, up into November. Though this past year, things seemed to peter out a little bit early, as we all discussed in another topic.. Fall just seemed to arrive early last year.

Rule of thumb is that I plant on tax day. Usually we have the last frost done by then.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:55 AM

That is very good news as my wife and I love gardening. Thank you everyone for responding

Old 02-05-2023, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 4,104 times
WE have a very long growing season here. You can look up your zip code to see what hardiness zone you'll be in. I'm in 8a and I've been able to harvest the Sun Sugar/ Sun Gold cherry tomatoes from May- June thru late November which are grown in a south facing yard ( the micro-climate might be a zone 9). They seem to be more tolerant of the 100 degree days of July than the full size Cherokee Purple which I also grow. I use shade cloth over my tomatoes during the worst heat.

Make sure to plant a basil plant next to each of your tomato plants to avoid tomato hornworms : ) Ever since I started doing this my tomatoes haven't been touched by tomato hornworms and I have an abundance of basil throughout the season and usually dig up a plant and bring it inside so I have it during the winter too.

You can also grow a wide variety of fruit trees here... and asparagus and artichokes ....and all kinds of berries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area