Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM

36 posts, read 82,682 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving two new companies I have formed to Greenville from the Dallas, Texas area. These companies are involved in the GREEN BUILDING industry and we hope to be international players and a one stop shop for all things involving green building. Other areas I am considering are Mooresville, NC, Nashville, TN, Raleigh, NC, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX. I need the inside scoop on what would make Greenville a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
One reason you may consider is the fact that Furman University partnered with Southern Living magazine to build and display Cliffs Cottage on campus that showcases green and sustainable building, and the adjacent Furman Farm showcases sustainable agriculture practices & small scale farming techniques.

Another reason involves the recent decision by green bus maker Proterra to move its headquarters and manufacturing to Greenville from Colorado. Proterra will be making electric & hybrid drive systems as well as complete transit buses for cities and college campuses.

These are the two that I could think of offhand, and there are doubtless many more (quality of life, topography/physical beauty, etc), which I'm sure others on this forum will share. Good luck - Greenville will welcome you!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks Upstate Booster. I look forward to getting many more responses and appreciate your comments.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM

111 posts, read 222,339 times
Can I also recommend you look at a site called urban planet as well. It has a much more business minded focus than does city-data. There is a thread called "greater greenvill economic developments" pinned at the top which would be a great place to get some feed back. It can found at Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks swu-ba-student. I will check it out.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,859,908 times
Hi GreenOne. It would certainly be a coup for us to win your businesses to our area. I'm sure that you will be evaluating the myriad financial aspects pertaining to locating your businesses, as well you should. Having won Proterra to our area, I would tend to believe that there are some local tax incentives to be negotiated, depending on the number of jobs your companies will create in the area. Having a talented and motivated labor pool is essential to your business success as well. S.C. matriculates an impressive number of college graduates each and every year from USC, Clemson, Furman, College of Charleston, Etc... I'm confident in making the statement that there is an abundance of highly talented, educated and motivated labor in our area. With regards to moving your product, Greenville is well positioned for easy ground transport via conveniently located interstate exchanges as well as international shipping out of the Charleston SC port.

I'm sure that you will look at client/population demographics when considering where you will be best positioned to service your client base. With much of the baby boomer population moving to the Sunbelt, S.C. will continue to develop as a hub for businesses created by the relocating boomers and businesses serving the needs of that particular demographic segment.

On the negative side, SC does have a state income tax which has to be factored into the costs of doing business. Austin is both tax friendly and is recognized as a green-friendly business hub centrally located to serve the U.S. You will have to determine how the financial incentives provided by Greenville versus Austin weigh out. I tend to think we will win in that area simply due to the pressure we have to create employment for our talented labor pool (unemployment in the 12% range, depending on where you source your numbers).

I think once you take a serious look at San Antonio, you will pass it by.
North Carolina is a bit dicier with regards to weather (a consideration if you have outbound product shipments). N.C. is aggressive with regards to recruiting industry. Asheville, I've heard, is becoming a GREEN BUILDING center so I can understand your interest. But keep in mind that locating in Greenville provides you easy access to the Asheville area AND a tie to the SC coastal markets - Charleston and HHI -- two hot boomer retirement markets. And where the boomers go, there will be building and businesses to follow. Also, when their kids visit, they tend to relocate as well. There is projected to be a continued Exodus from the North and Midwest due to the weather and extended family members following retired boomers to the Promised Land. I don't have the projected population movement chart through 2020 on hand but I'm sure that you are already looking at something similar related to your biz.

Best of luck whichever direction you take but we hope that you like us! That you really, really like us best!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Lots of good points to take into consideration on this. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
CUICAR Oh and this too: http://www.nextgreenville.com/

Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM

899 posts, read 2,275,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
I am considering moving two new companies I have formed to Greenville from the Dallas, Texas area. These companies are involved in the GREEN BUILDING industry and we hope to be international players and a one stop shop for all things involving green building. Other areas I am considering are Mooresville, NC, Nashville, TN, Raleigh, NC, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX. I need the inside scoop on what would make Greenville a great choice.
I was wondering what kind of company you have within the green building industry (manufacturing, consulting, etc.)? Just curious. Either way, you should relocate to Upstate South Carolina.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 PM

22 posts, read 57,167 times
any help would be good for this **** poor broke ass state

i mean seriously from UI loans alone they, Govt owe hundreds of millionsof usd

weather stable, taxes real low,

yes our leaders in govt are backwards,

infrastructure need help, seriously,

hopefully SC gives tax credits for green industry,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area