Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,566 times

Advertisements

Hi: My husband and I bought a place in Simpsonville; right outside of Greenville. We have both been down for vacations, and are planning on moving down, soon. Every time we have been there, we have a good time, and no one has ever bothered us. The people that we have met are kind and hard working. Lately my husband has been checking the internet for crimes committed, in the Greenville area, and he says that there are many, every day. This is starting to bother me, because, when we have been there, we never really see many police. The traffic is pretty bad and there are a lot of accidents, and still we don't see many police officers. The most I have ever seen were at the functions in downtown Greenville, which are very orderly, and again, we have never had any trouble. I have been there, alone, several times, and felt very safe. With the news from my husband, each day, though, I am starting to have second thoughts about moving down. You can google the crime rate of Greenville, and there is even a way to compare your town or any town with that crime rate. I did this, and the crime rate in Greenville was much higher than where we are living, at present. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM

83 posts, read 484,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowed in View Post
You can google the crime rate of Greenville, and there is even a way to compare your town or any town with that crime rate. I did this, and the crime rate in Greenville was much higher than where we are living, at present.
What you've noticed is true of almost every Southern city. Yet people are constantly relocating to the South, and I can't remember ever hearing anyone say that they left because of crime. There have been lots of conjectures, and these two factors come up the most:
  • There is a cultural respect for institutions in the South. Therefore, people are very likely to report any crime. In a lot of places many crimes are not reported because people are skeptical that the police will do anything about it.
  • There is a sad tradition of violence among friends and family in the South. Most violent crimes reported are, sadly, committed by one friend or family member on another. So while the statistics look bad, most newcomers will not experience this.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,566 times
Thanks, RC. I really need to hear something positive. I don't stick my head in the sand, but I don't look for trouble. I have felt safe when I have visited, and I am sure that I will feel the same when I am living there

Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowed in View Post
Hi: My husband and I bought a place in Simpsonville; right outside of Greenville. We have both been down for vacations, and are planning on moving down, soon. Every time we have been there, we have a good time, and no one has ever bothered us. The people that we have met are kind and hard working. Lately my husband has been checking the internet for crimes committed, in the Greenville area, and he says that there are many, every day. This is starting to bother me, because, when we have been there, we never really see many police. The traffic is pretty bad and there are a lot of accidents, and still we don't see many police officers. The most I have ever seen were at the functions in downtown Greenville, which are very orderly, and again, we have never had any trouble. I have been there, alone, several times, and felt very safe. With the news from my husband, each day, though, I am starting to have second thoughts about moving down. You can google the crime rate of Greenville, and there is even a way to compare your town or any town with that crime rate. I did this, and the crime rate in Greenville was much higher than where we are living, at present. Good luck
Welcome. Which neighborhood did you guys buy in? Simpsonville is a pretty safe area. No worries on crime. Greenville like all cities has some, but its much lower than the states other metros (Columbia, Charleston, Florence). Downtown Greenville is one of the safest I've ever seen in the South....most crime is in pockets (the Westside).

Where do you guys currently live?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 AM

10 posts, read 41,544 times
We moved here from Cal. We live in Easley about 10 min from Greenville. The best thing we have ever done! I love it here! Greenville is growing at an acceptable pace with a great downtown, and we have the best recreation program in the area! We will miss this place sooo much! We are making a move to the Cleveland area b/c of a promotion.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Jacob: no offense, man, but GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND!!! I'll forgive you since I know you're a teenager and these things are important to you at this point in your life, I'm sure.

We really do not need an aquarium with ones so close in Charleston, Atlanta, and Chattanooga.

I'm not so sure we could support an amusement park. A large water park we could support and one will no doubt arrive within the next 5-10 years.

I could also see at least one IMAX screen in a theatre somewhere in town within the next 5 years.

We do have an international airport, but don't have the volume of flyers needed to make it a large airport...and quite frankly, I find that refreshing.

As you know, there are a few towers in the works (Pinnacle on Main, 98 East McBee, the condo tower at McBee Plaza on South Main, etc.), but you're right...things are very slow to develop here. That much I'll agree with.

Traffic here is practically nonexistent (especially compared to places like Charlotte, Atlanta, or Orlando).

We do have our share of sprawl, but what major southeastern metro area doesn't?

Any pollution we have comes from Atlanta and Charlotte thanks to our beautiful mountains trapping it and the prevailing winds blowing it up against the mountains...especially in the summertime.

We do have a minor league football team though - don't forget about the Greyhounds. We did have both arena football and ECHL hockey as well as an NBDL team, but as you know the ECHL team took a very successful franchise and priced themselves out of existence and the arena football and NBDL teams are a tough draw practically anywhere you put them.

Does any of this make me regret moving here? Heck no. There's so much more to offer here that goes well above and beyond these trivial little things, man. If I were your age, I'd be frustrated probably at some of this stuff, but I'm a husband and a father of two young kids and my priorities are different.
RestedTraveler also forgot to mention what a great bus system we have too.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
SOM,
Where in Cali. did you move from? My wife and I moved here from Burbank a lil over 3 months ago.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:48 AM

8 posts, read 37,223 times
Default Greer or surrounding areas?

Do you recommend Greer for raising kids ages 5 and 12? We recently visited and did not see kids in the neighborhoods in this area.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
There are kids in Greer.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 15,502 times
My husband moved here in April, and Myself and my children came in June, from NC. We have not regretted our move, it was due to his career move. We live in Mauldin just outside of Greenville. You must consider that there are some folks who love it and those who hate it. That is everywhere. We feel safe, and like it so much that we will be making this our home, and our children will finish school here. Best wishes for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area