U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 15,556 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. My family and I are contemplating a relo to Greenville. What's the most family friendly neighborhood in the area that has the following following traits: teaming with young kids, has a good % of stay-at-home moms, and a neighborhood that promotes social events/gatherings? We're totally unfamiliar with Greenville, but a good neighborhood could clear up some of our apprehension. Thanks for your recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
LCM

77 posts, read 170,619 times
In our search we found A LOT of neighborhoods that meet your criteria. Give us some specifics and I'm sure people will offer suggestions.

What is your house price range? How far outside of Greenville do you consider "in the area" (Simpsonville, Traveler's Rest, Greer, etc.)?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,556 times
The home price range we'd consider is between $500-600k. In terms of location, we'd like to be inside of 20-25 minutes from Greenville city center. Some of the neighborhoods I uncovered on the Internet include places like: Verdae, LedgeStone in Simpsonville, Acadia in Greenville, Hampton Grove near Travelers Rest, The River Reserve in Powdersville, and so on. Any of these fit the description I questioned in the original post?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM

207 posts, read 527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnvlBound? View Post
The home price range we'd consider is between $500-600k. In terms of location, we'd like to be inside of 20-25 minutes from Greenville city center. Some of the neighborhoods I uncovered on the Internet include places like: Verdae, LedgeStone in Simpsonville, Acadia in Greenville, Hampton Grove near Travelers Rest, The River Reserve in Powdersville, and so on. Any of these fit the description I questioned in the original post?

Would love to hear what people have to say about these neighborhoods. Are things going as planned in such places as Acadia and Verdae? I noticed there were some big price drops on houses on the Verdae website.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,430,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnvlBound? View Post
If you're ok with an established neighborhood, I'd recommend the Gower Estates/Parkins Mill area in the City of Greenville. The area was mainly developed in the 70's and is undergoing a good bit of renovation and investment today. There is a strong family presence and kids seem to be everywhere. There's homes in the area that definitely fall into your price range. Furthermore, like I said, a lot of investment in the older homes is taking place and would allow you to renovate and build to establish the size you desire... The Parkins Mill area has the advantage of being near Interstate 85, easy access to the major shopping areas of Haywood and Woodruff, is about 10-12 minutes from downtown, and will soon offer direct access to the wildly popular Swamp Rabbit Trail system that directly connects to downtown, Furman University, Travelers Rest, and soon to the Conestee Nature Park.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 PM

306 posts, read 657,473 times
I believe that Verdae is not doing so well. From what others have said on this forum I think it hit a standstill. The River Reserve in Powdersville looks nice from what I've seen when I drove thru about a month ago. Not Alot of homes built....but the ones there are very ,very nice and there is alot of plots to choose from.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,430,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
I believe that Verdae is not doing so well. From what others have said on this forum I think it hit a standstill. The River Reserve in Powdersville looks nice from what I've seen when I drove thru about a month ago. Not Alot of homes built....but the ones there are very ,very nice and there is alot of plots to choose from.
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but Verdae is still moving along. A few homes are just finishing construction, and I just saw today that another one has the foundation set and is about to go vertical. Additionally, the townhomes have a trailer on site and should begin construction soon.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 AM

306 posts, read 657,473 times
Sorry for the mis-information....my bad. I could have sworn that I read on a thread that it was "Overgrown" , the grounds were not being kept up and home prices were dropping.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM

5,496 posts, read 14,582,689 times
Quote:
The River Reserve in Powdersville is almost completely built and only a few vacant lots remain on the market today. Perhaps you were referring to Acadia instead?

Like you said, Acadia has been developing slowly in this economy, but looks very impressive even while yet incomplete (There are at least two dozen homes already built or under construction). It has paved trails weaving through the woods, along the river and a small creek. It has a beautiful community center facility overlooking the river and a paddle house for storage of small watercraft and related equipment. It has an awesome pavilion overlooking a well maintained soccer field and the neighboring tennis courts. It has a beautiful pool and pool house with a game room and a fitness center. It has a playground for the younger children and a community garden for everyone.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 AM

5,496 posts, read 14,582,689 times
Quote:
...I could have sworn that I read on a thread that...home prices were dropping.
Referring to one of the residential neighborhoods in Verdae, you are correct.

The Cascades retirement village has been complete for over a year and is simply stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>