U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 PM

153 posts, read 365,282 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone...

I will be attending a teacher recruitment in your city next month and I had a couple of questions. I currently live in the metro Atl area and have been pink slipped as many of our counties are letting people go and some are closing schools. I knew about this event earlier this year and registered last week to attend. My question is..do you all think that there will be many openings or even a great number of people attending? I know that there isn't a sure answer, but I was trying to get a general idea.

Last yr, my county had a job fair..even though we did not have vacant positions. It was done to give the appearance that we were "ok". (inside adminstrator info)..

This is my 14th year of teaching. I'm certified in Elementary Ed and have a Master's degree. I will be taking a test next weekend for Special Ed. to add to my current certification. I am praying for an opportunity anywhere as I am a single mom and I have a child to take care of. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,033,847 times
I know that SC school districts have already endured budget cuts, and have just recently been asked to figure out how to do with even less. But, as I said to another teacher moving to this area, people retire & move all the time, so you never know!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM

156 posts, read 317,978 times
This does seem odd to have a Hiring Fair when clearly they are cutting jobs or at least not adding any.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM

This is why I was asking. I understand that I may not "know" if there are many vacancies or not..I was just wondering since my school system did the same last year. At any rate, I'm going to remain positive.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,599,898 times
My wife works for the district(not a teacher) and lately has been a little worried about her job next year. that being said, I've heard they are "restructuring"(trying to get rid of "unneeded" positions) so maybe they are still in need of teachers and plan on hiring once they've trimmed the fat, so to speak.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
jac

388 posts, read 962,522 times
There is a new elementary school opening in Greenville in August. That, along with people moving or retiring may result in some openings.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM

54 posts, read 211,380 times
Ambersmom---please be aware that the pay is substantially less. I taught in Henry, Rockdale, Barrow and Walton counties 9 of the last 12 years. If I was to teach full time here with my Ed.S., I would make $10K less/year. We moved here last summer for my husband's job and I did not even attempt to find a position in my fields (Elem Ed, Media Spec, and ESOL endorsement). Special Ed may be easier to find though.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Thank you..but I am aware of the pay. Gwinnett pays less than the other metro counties. I've made comparisons in this and also noticed that the cost of living was much lower than what it is here. I figured, if nothing else, that I would break even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area