Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Where else do you go that is closer to the area besides the beach? It's a shame it is so far away. What other bodies of water do you swim in? Do you really miss it that much or does the area and what it has to offer outweigh it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Just depends on what you like and what type of outdoor activities you enjoy. It's not like the beach/coast is THAT far away.

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Where else do you go that is closer to the area besides the beach? It's a shame it is so far away. What other bodies of water do you swim in? Do you really miss it that much or does the area and what it has to offer outweigh it?
OMG. Not a shame at all. I think a good number of Upstate people don't give a hoot about the beach. They love mountains and that is exactly why they love Upstate.
With beautiful mountains for hiking, biking, etc and pristine lakes (alligator free) to swim and ski in, who needs the beach? With cool mountain air evenings, who needs the beach?

You should check South Carolina's "Freshwater Coastline" in the Upstate....over 1,400 miles of lakefront shoreline.

I'm sure I'll get some debate on this comment, but in my history and my travels, it seems those who gravitate toward the mountains are a bit more "thinker types" and a bit more in touch / grounded, than those who gravitate toward the beach.

3 posts, read 7,218 times
We go to the lake, or the subdivision pools. We moved from Florida 3yrs ago. Do not really miss the beach. Take a short drive 3-4 hrs and hit the beach for a fun weekend. No big deal

Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkirch View Post
We go to the lake, or the subdivision pools. We moved from Florida 3yrs ago. Do not really miss the beach. Take a short drive 3-4 hrs and hit the beach for a fun weekend. No big deal
Are the lakes clean? Do they offer a beach?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
OMG. Not a shame at all. I think a good number of Upstate people don't give a hoot about the beach. They love mountains and that is exactly why they love Upstate.
With beautiful mountains for hiking, biking, etc and pristine lakes (alligator free) to swim and ski in, who needs the beach? With cool mountain air evenings, who needs the beach?

I agree with you 110% here I'll take the fresh air & the lakes that come with the mountains any day over the beach.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM

271 posts, read 796,815 times
Great, that ya'll love the lakes instead of the beach......but as a Greenville newbie, I would LOVE to hear where/what lakes?

We lived the past year in Asheville (came from FL), and LOVED swimming in some gorgeous lakes! Gator-free/shark free too!!!

Would love to do the same in this area, any recommendations?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
We're moving to SC from FL soon, and I'm quite sure we won't miss the beach, or the gator infested lakes and rivers!

We've been within 15 minutes of the beach for over 20 years now, and we've only been once or twice in about 5 years.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM

37 posts, read 73,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We're moving to SC from FL soon, and I'm quite sure we won't miss the beach, or the gator infested lakes and rivers!

We've been within 15 minutes of the beach for over 20 years now, and we've only been once or twice in about 5 years.
We moved from fla.in 2005 to WV.When we sell our houses we are moving to GV.I never thought I would miss the beach till I was gone for awhile. I would move closer to the coast but my wife has had bad skin cancers. It is one reason we moved from Fla.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
The main lakes are in the Western Upstate - Lake Hartwell is by far the largest, with nearly 1000 miles of shoreline. It straddles the GA/SC border along & near I-85. It has numerous state and county parks in various places with public beaches. There are several major marinas, at least one of which I know offers pontoon boat and ski boat rentals. There are other islands & beaches along the lake that can only be reached by boat. Hartwell is a big lake for fishing, swimming & water sports.

Lake Keowee is just up from Lake Hartwell near Clemson & Seneca, SC. It's smaller, but still sizeable. It has some very ritzy developments along its shored, but also has a major marina and at least one public park that I know of in Seneca.

Lake Jocassee is the furthest up (both in latitude and elevation), at the very foot of the mountains. It's off of SC Hwy 11 and has a state park on its shores with very nice lakefront villas for rent. There is a boat launch at the park, but the entire shoreline of this smaller lake is otherwise undeveloped.

Starting at Lake Hartwell, the water can be quite clear & beautiful or it can get murky, depending on recent rains, wind and activity on the lake. The water in the lakes tends to get clearer and more chilly as you move northward. Lake Jocassee is stunning, with the water rivalling that in Lake Tahoe IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area