Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 12:02 AM

9 posts, read 48,539 times

Advertisements

It appears that JL Mann is the best high school in the area. Is that correct? Wade Hampton looks like a really good high school, too, but I can't find much documentation about how it compares. I found a site where I can punch in a Greenville address and find which schools are assigned to it, but does anyone know of a map of the high schools' assigned areas? It would help so much if I could find that information in a map format.

Last edited by tookabackroad; 06-10-2007 at 12:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,072 times
I can't link you to any map right off hand. I graduated from Greenville High School last year, where I was zoned to go, but there are at least 5 public high schools that I could probably get to within 15 minutes or less.

GHS
Wade Hampton
J.L. Mann
Southside
Eastside

I really have no idea which schools are better than others...they all have their ups and downs. Also, whatever ratings all that is based off of...average grades, gpa's, SAT scores, whatever...doesn't always reflect the school itself, but the students. Example, there are great teachers at GHS and there are definitely excellent students. Unfortunately there are also students who don't exactly help us out in certain areas.

It has a lot to do with what neighborhoods/areas the schools are in. It has a huge effect...but I can tell you one thing. GHS has had some amazing basketball and football teams!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,301 times
I don't know of any map, but school assignments change year-to-year, depending on population changes, physical changes at certain schools which allow them to acomodate more (or fewer) students, etc.

You can find more information on school assignments HERE (http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/district/parents/express/settled.asp#assign - broken link).

Of course, in Greenville, with so many schools designated as magnet schools and/or academies, a parent can request that their child attend just about any school in the district.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM

OK, then let me try this; Are there any schools I should try to avoid sending my son to?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:55 PM

Here's all of Greenville County's high schools. (http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/district/schools/high.asp - broken link)

Greenville, SC – Eight Greenville County high schools were among Newsweek’s Best High Schools list released this week. Recognized schools are Southside - #36, Mauldin - #136, Wade Hampton - #552, J. L. Mann - #636, Hillcrest - #654, Riverside - #693, Woodmont - #927, and Eastside - #1,056.

Newsweek ranks public schools using the number of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2005 divided by the number of graduating seniors.

Greenville, SC – Fresh on the heels of being named one of America’s top fifty high schools, Southside High School just received more good news. GE Foundation awarded Southside High School a two-year, $300,000 GE Foundation grant to continue its “Closing the Gap” College Bound program.

With the addition of the new grant, over the past four years Southside High has received $1 million in funding from GE for Closing the Gap program.

Southside High received a one-year Freshman Success College Bound grant in February 2002 and a four-year Closing the Gap College Bound grant in the fall of 2002. Administrative grants were awarded for the past three years.

Greenville, SC – Blythe Academy, J. L. Mann High Academy, and Woodmont High have been selected among eight finalists for the Dick and Tunky Riley School Improvement Award. The annual award recognizes School Improvement Councils for outstanding achievement and civic engagement on behalf of their school.

J. L. Mann High Academy

The J. L. Mann students and school community have placed a large emphasis on character and responsibility. The SIC is continuing the “Pat on the Back” program where teachers and staff members are given the opportunity to nominate students for a “pat on the back.” Students are nominated for showing citizenship at school and in the classroom. Another effective program is the SIC involvement in “Increasing High School Success” sponsored by the Alliance for Quality Education.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 PM

This may also help.

It isn't incredibly informative on anything, though.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM

p2y2r7o- Thank you so much for the info!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 32,205 times
Default high schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookabackroad View Post
It appears that JL Mann is the best high school in the area. Is that correct? Wade Hampton looks like a really good high school, too, but I can't find much documentation about how it compares. I found a site where I can punch in a Greenville address and find which schools are assigned to it, but does anyone know of a map of the high schools' assigned areas? It would help so much if I could find that information in a map format.
my kids went to wade hampton. lots of violence and drugs. Riverside is a much nicer school, also mauldin high school. Not wade hampton, that was the main reason we moved from the area was because of the school.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 PM

39 posts, read 72,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissah View Post
my kids went to wade hampton. lots of violence and drugs. Riverside is a much nicer school, also mauldin high school. Not wade hampton, that was the main reason we moved from the area was because of the school.
Ditto on Wade Hampton HS. There are wonderful students there but there is a strong element of "thug life" there. Carolina HS draws from a lower economic area and has the problems that go with that, but his a good magnet program.

Travelers Rest, Blue Ridge and Berea are all kind of rural. Nothing wrong with that, just FYI

Hillcrest and Mauldin are huge.

JL Mann draws from a great area of town, but the faculty are leaving that school in DROVES - like rats from a sinking ship. Every Mann teacher I know has either left or is frantically trying to leave. Long term, it is a great school. Right this instant, something is going on.

In my opinion the top high schools IN GENERAL are Eastside, JL Mann, Greenville, Mauldin and Riverside.

As far as sending your son to a school, some of that depends on what his interests are. Many high schools are magnets and focus on an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area