Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but can say with confidence that a low-cost carrier in the Upstate would likely be used as much or more for business travel than anything else. Then again, having a low-cost carrier fly to several key cities would undoubtedly help the state retain many of the leisure travelers who commute to fly out of Atlanta and Charlotte as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times
Again though leisure is the key word. What has leisure delivered to the state of SC?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Independence Air was successful flying out of GSP when they were and Allegiant has been too. Allegiant continues to expand at GSP and flies to four destinations in Florida. If they can be successful, surely Southwest would be also. GSP caters more to the business traveler than tourist ones.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 AM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
The state needs to stop with their tax incentives for big business period. It's corporate welfare. If our state or cities can't woo business on quality of life then we need to improve our quality of life.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Let me get this straight? Why should the Midlands support a bill using state money (not private) to subsidize (give money to, which I now most conservatives hate) a private company looking to expand in a region not unrelated to it? If Greenville can't get SW with it's own revenue forget it. Don't expect the people of the Midlands to hand over money to a project 100 miles away specifically in only one region of the state. That's crazy! If the tax base was big enough in the Upstate this wouldn't be a problem for them they wouldn't need the rest of the states help. I will write the Senators personally and tell them thank you! Hell maybe I'll even organize a Tea Party and tell em "Don't touch my tax money it's fine the way it is".

At any rate it sounds like a good reason to boycott SW airlines here in the cities, and there fares really weren't that much lower than Delta.
Glad you feel that way. This means Charleston, Greenville and Myrtle Beach residents can write the state and demand that USC stop wasting tax money on that failure of a wannabe research campus known as Inovista. It is limping along, doing nothing good for the rest of the state (or even the Midlands for that matter), so if the Midlands can't support the failed Inovista debacle by themselves, too bad.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Glad you feel that way. This means Charleston, Greenville and Myrtle Beach residents can write the state and demand that USC stop wasting tax money on that failure of a wannabe research campus known as Inovista. It is limping along, doing nothing good for the rest of the state (or even the Midlands for that matter), so if the Midlands can't support the failed Inovista debacle by themselves, too bad.
Hey that's insightful, like reading reading an article from the "The Hate" its self, and has about as much for-thought as any of their articles too (and todays headline is..."Why isn't there an ocean in the Midlands, Charleston has one, Myrtle Beach has one"). Yeah sure, why take public money and reivest it in the poeples intrerest who paid for it. At least USC is a state supported institution not a private sector pan-handler. We can go tit for tat all week long. As an outsider looking in you would think that the only thing SClians care about are who has the biggest shopping mall and most restaurants, and given the state's track record (evidence based outcome) for "success" they would make a very strong argument (there are tons of malls and restaurants along the coast). Has that made the quality of life better in those areas? You know things like healthcare, educational attainment, low unemployment rates... Or do they just cater to the Atlanta, and Charlotte tourist. Lots of economically succesful people vacation in impoverished areas. Let's not make the quality of life better let's just give money to Best Buy to build a super center, because see then we can say were just like Charlotte. But no your not Charlotte. Charlotte has something that the state of SC can't obtain or never will given its short sighted priorities. The bottom line is unless SC actually does something other than give out public money to private industry it will continue to compete dismally globally. Be it Greenville, Charleston, and yes even Columbia. Speaking of tourism has anybody seen the state of Florida's unemployment rate as well.

I still don't see why Upstate, and Coastal law makers don't get it

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-23-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Hey that's insightful, like reading reading an article from the "The Hate" its self, and has about as much for-thought as any of their articles too ("why isn't there an ocean in the Midlands"). Yeah sure, why take public money and reivest it in the poeples intrerest who paid for it. At least USC is a state supported institution not a private sector pan-handler. We can go tit for tat all week long. As an outsider looking in you would think that the only thing SClians care about are who has the biggest shopping mall and most restaurants, and given the state track record for "success" they would may a very strong argument. Let's not make the quality of life better let's just give money to Best Buy to build a super center see then we can say were just like Charlotte. But no your not Charlotte. Charlotte has something that the state of SC can't obtain or never will given its short sighted priorities. The bottom line is unless SC actually does something other than give out public money to private industry it will continue to compete dismally globally. Be it Greenville, Charleston, and yes even Columbia. Speaking of tourism has anybody seen the state of Florida's unemployment rate as well.

I still don't see why Upstate, and Coastal law makers don't get it
The Greenville area is far from dismal at global competition....you know, BMW, North American Headquarters Michelin, Cytec, American Titanium Works.....just landing a green transit manufacturer Proterra....Sage, Timken, Cryovac, St. Jude Medical, SAE, GE Aviation, GE Turbine Technology, Bausch&Lomb, Fluor, Jacobs, on and on and on. Greenville does quite well on the global front. If the Midlands doesn't, then I feel for them. Greenville does get it, but apparently you don't. Sorry you had to leave SC for a better life....maybe you should have just left the Midlands for Greenville. I moved here several years back, after living in several other large cities around the nation and I have a very high quality of life here (as do most people I know in the area). Hope you find what you need and want in life.

Funny attempt at spin with the Hate comment. LMAO.

Last edited by gsupstate; 04-23-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Again, competing globally involves more than posting up a sign saying we have a "national" manufactoring headquarters here, or I heard some Germans speaking at a restaurant on main street. What is the standard? For example what's the per capita income of Greenville vs Charlotte, Raleigh, or Atlanta? Places that are actually competing globally. One thing they do have in common is they are not located in SC. No sir or ma'm apparently you don't get it?

What is a high quality of life for you? Because by most places standards SClina's is pretty darn low including Greenville.

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-23-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Again, competing globally involves more than posting up a sign saying we have a "national" headquarters here, or I heard some Germans speaking at a restaurant on main street. What is the standard? For example what's the per capita income of Greenville vs Charlotte, Raleigh, or Atlanta? Places that are actually competing globally. One thing they do have in common is they are not located in SC. No sir or mam apparently you don't get it?

What is a high quality of life for you? Because by most places standards SClina's is pretty darn low including Greenville.
High quality of life for me is the same in Greenville as it was in any other city I lived. Six figure income, great home, access to great restaurants and shops, natural beauty of the area, boat at lovely marina on a beautiful lake, friends, educated people to chat with, wonderful weather, travel options.....you know what high quality of life is. Greenville meets all those needs for me and thousands of others.

But back on topic. You said Midlands lawmakers should vote against any help for Southwest in Greenville. How narrow minded and showing your bias. Southwest in GSP would help the state as a whole. Another air option for travelers.....and if you think Southwest is only for tourist, you need to brush up on your knowledge of the company. Business travelers are at least 50% of SWA....check out Rapid Rewards....and remember their "Company Plane" slogan? Obviously not. Sad, you live in the twin cities with the MSP hub and fail to understand the importance of air service in furthering economic development.

Sorry that Southwest said no to Columbia, but no reason for state officials not to help focus on improving air service at the larger airports in Greenville and Charleston.

Last edited by gsupstate; 04-23-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Most standards for quality of life includes things like high educational attainment, access to healthcare, low morbidity and mortality rates, low unemployment rates, low cime rates. Those are things that can actually be measured and correlated to things like six figure incomes, mc mansions, shopping malls etc... That's great if Greenville works for you, and you seem very happy there I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. But again what I am directly disputing is the use of public money for a private corporation which in large only benefits Southwest Airlines. I never at one time said (others may have implied) SW is only for tourist travelers. However the bill that they are so aching to pass seems to be stemed around yet another get rich quick scam, lets pass this bill so it can yet again try boost tourism for the state of SC. They have been "investing" (handing state money to private industry) for years and have very little return on investment. And if the people of the Midlands are as savy as their Senators they should not want their money wasted on another bad investment. I don't understand why a state already in deficiet wants to break the bank for a private investor and see so little on return? Just so they can say we have a low cost air carrier? Is that a quality of life standard?

What does MSP have to do with understanding the quality air service, I'm not following?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area