Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times

Advertisements

You may feel like an outsider at times, but generally you won't notice. I am a protestant and I have catholic and orthodox and non-believer friends. Plenty of people here to find your common ground with some. Now, if you are very comfortable being the majority as the non-religious, non-practicing catholic, I wouldn't shout that to the rooftops either. You won't be in the majority here.

I have even seen a few catholics "go protestant" and join our churches, but I know that is the rare event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
I agree with Upstate, I doubt your kids will have a problem when it comes to religion. Do kids even talk about religion among other kids??? I think those who judge learn it at home, the judging is a product of what's taught at home by parents. Hopefully your children understand that people have opinions and we are all entitled to our opinion, but that doesn't make an opinion right.

Just my 2 cents

Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Speaking as a Southern Baptist, the only folks in town that may judge you are the Bob Jones folks. Many of them judge even the version of the Bible one reads. Heck, they think Billy Graham is of the devil. The best thing to do is ignore those that judge. The only Judge I am concerned about is God Himself. Bottom line, we are all sinners and come short of he glory of God.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Speaking as a Southern Baptist, the only folks in town that may judge you are the Bob Jones folks. Many of them judge even the version of the Bible one reads. Heck, they think Billy Graham is of the devil. The best thing to do is ignore those that judge. The only Judge I am concerned about is God Himself. Bottom line, we are all sinners and come short of he glory of God.
That's true - however the Bob Jonesers tend to keep to themselves anyway. The only ones I know are former Bob Jonesers (but still devoutly religious). They are to a person helpful, generous, smart, enterprising folks and don't judge.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM

137 posts, read 396,693 times
One point that hasn't been made yet is that the asking about your church affiliation is probably not so much a sign of judgment as an attempt to get you to go to the inquirer's church. I moved here two years ago and also noticed all the (mostly) Baptist churches. You must realize they are competing for business and a neighbor who sees you as a presentable person will want you to join them in church (they are assuming you might be of the same faith as themselves, of course). So take that as a compliment. You have already been judged acceptable!

I think in the two years I've been here, I've had the question posed just twice to me. I just heard a statistic on the local morning news today that said about 70% of the locals either don't attend church regularly or have no church affiliation (can't remember which). Other questions on the survey showed that the people may consider themselves Christian or other religions, but just don't practice by going to church. It ended with saying those 70% considered themselves spiritual, but not religious. Now you would have to compare that with the same study taken other locations to get a feel for the relative religious fervor in this area, but still it is revealing I think: most in the Greenville area are not strongly religious if the study can be believed.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
One point that hasn't been made yet is that the asking about your church affiliation is probably not so much a sign of judgment as an attempt to get you to go to the inquirer's church. I moved here two years ago and also noticed all the (mostly) Baptist churches. You must realize they are competing for business and a neighbor who sees you as a presentable person will want you to join them in church (they are assuming you might be of the same faith as themselves, of course). So take that as a compliment. You have already been judged acceptable!
Excellent point. If you get asked, treat it as a compliment, not a judgement. Our church does this just to make people aware of our services, not to judge.

Quote:
I just heard a statistic on the local morning news today that said about 70% of the locals either don't attend church regularly or have no church affiliation (can't remember which). Other questions on the survey showed that the people may consider themselves Christian or other religions, but just don't practice by going to church. It ended with saying those 70% considered themselves spiritual, but not religious. Now you would have to compare that with the same study taken other locations to get a feel for the relative religious fervor in this area, but still it is revealing I think: most in the Greenville area are not strongly religious if the study can be believed.
Well, I stand corrected. The non-religious are the majority in Greenville. Thanks for the data.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

183 posts, read 500,581 times
Quote:

This may be because, at least in my observation, that there seems to be a difference between church attendance and religiosity. Many appear to attend more for the community aspects and frankly, the "show." In day-to-day encounters, they don't exhibit any overt religious zeal or beliefs.

This may be the reason many people "shop around" for a church, and why the large, non-denominational churches are so successful. It might be more about the experience than the content.

So I wouldn't worry about being ostracized. I don't attend any religious services and no one bugs me about it.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
this question gets asked just about every other day, try a search in the forum on the subject...

oh and in gods eyes you'd be a sinner in greenville or anywhere else

Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
My thread is better.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

207 posts, read 555,794 times
Thanks everyone for all your observations and opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area