U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,915 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly in the process of relocating to the Greenville area. We are in our late 20's and just married. We currently live in a suburb of Minnesota (Edina), where we have wonderful access to DT (15-20 minutes), a fantastic school system, and a small town feel (with it's own downtown area). These are all qualities we are looking for. My husband would be working on the east side of Greenville, off of 385. I currently work in the public school system and would be looking for a great school district. We are looking for a home in the low to mid 300's, and most likely on the east side somewhere. We will be coming to Greenville to check out the area in 2 weeks and would like to know what areas to look at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,943,662 times
The cities of Greer and Simpsonville spring immediately to mind. Greer actually borders on the Eastside part of town to the northeast, and Simpsonville is out I-385 in what's known as the Golden Strip. Neither drive into downtown is really great (but they're slowly improving I-385 south/east of I-85). On weekends or between rush hours, the drive should be about 25 min. Rush hour commutes I would think would be closer to 45 min. Greer's main access to downtown is Wade Hampton Blvd (US Hwy 29). There are lots of traffic lights, but the commute shouldn't be much more than 20-25 min.

I can't comment on relative merits of area schools (plenty of others here can though), but both cities have downtowns with shops and restaurants. Greer's downtown is especially nice for its size. Welcome, and good luck!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,023,769 times
I think Upstatebooster said it well. The Simpsonville area may well hold your future home. We have two grands in the public school system and are very happy. Come On Down.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,915 times
Thanks so much for the responses. We are looking forward to checking out the area this upcoming weekend!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM

84 posts, read 192,603 times
Welcome to the upstate. My hubby is from Mankato. We are in powdersville area and it has the small town feel (like mankato outskirts). I do not know much on the east side. I know the five forks area (woodruff rd) is VERY city like, from where you are coming. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
I need help because I am trying to move to South Carolina from Ohio in order to be closer to my grandchildren who live actually in Atlanta. However, I don't want to get stressed out in the Atlanta traffic, so S. Carolina is as close as this 69 year old grandma can take. Please recommend areas that might accommodate me as a sr. citizen who love the country side of living, gardens, flowers, herbs, quiet, and peace. I don't know which areas are safe and don't want to make the mistake of moving to a "ride-by", shoot em up" area nor be anywhere close to it!. Any reply would be helpful.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM

407 posts, read 830,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Myricks View Post
I need help because I am trying to move to South Carolina from Ohio in order to be closer to my grandchildren who live actually in Atlanta. However, I don't want to get stressed out in the Atlanta traffic, so S. Carolina is as close as this 69 year old grandma can take. Please recommend areas that might accommodate me as a sr. citizen who love the country side of living, gardens, flowers, herbs, quiet, and peace. I don't know which atreas are safe and don't want to make the mistake of moving to a "ride-by", shoot em up" area nor be anywhere close to it!. Any reply would be helpful.
You will need to be more specific in terms of what you are looking for--rent or buy, single family or apartment, price, amenities, what size area in terms of small town, rural area, etc. What area of Atlanta do your grandchildren live in? Greenville is about 140 miles from Atlanta, but depending on where they live, could be a drive of between an hour and 15 minutes to as long as 3 hours depending on traffic and time of day. You might also ask your children/grandchildren for ideas since they know your interests and will probably be driving to see you. There are lots of small towns and more rural areas between Greenville and Atlanta that might suit your needs and would not have the heavy traffic that you find closer to Atlanta. Depending on your budget, you might like living in Pickens, Pendleton, Walhalla, or Clemson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area