Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 167,350 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be visiting Greenville, and I'm wondering about the best place to rent bicycles and ride the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

We'll probably do an out-and-back ride, preferably starting and ending at the bike rental place to avoid the hassle of renting a bike rack for the car.

I know that Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest rents bikes and is right next to the trail. Two others I've found online are Sunshine Cycle Shop and TTR (Tandem, Touring and Recumbent Bikes) on south Hudson St. I don't know whether the latter two are close enough to the trail to be practical for us -- ?

Aside from that, are some parts of the trail more fun and/or scenic than others? Does the trail run alongside major highways? (I've tried to find it on Google Earth but am still not sure.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,484,885 times
I know I saw a cycling shop near the trail on the downtown end. Hang on.... Looking at the map of TTR's location, I think that's the one I remember seeing. It's only a block or two from the trail.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Good to know. Thanks. How's the downtown end of the trail? Lots of pretty scenery? Are there lots of highways to cross?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM

288 posts, read 944,746 times
Do a search for Swamp Rabbit on this forum. A while back, someone posted links to really good maps of the trail. From the Cafe at Williams Hardware in TR to Furman, there are few roads to cross and none of them large. I can only think of one (maybe two) and they are 2-lane. On May 7th, the next section will be open. It runs from Furman to downtown Greenville. Don't know much about that section as I haven't walked it yet.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,803,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountry View Post
Good to know. Thanks. How's the downtown end of the trail? Lots of pretty scenery? Are there lots of highways to cross?
Here is a link that should give you good info on the Swamp Rabbit trail, as well as other trails in the greenway system.

Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail | Greenville Rec (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit - broken link)

Once in downtown, the Swamp Rabbit trail hooks into numerous spurs and branches of the greenway system. The trail enters downtown at Linky Stone Park and then follows the river, past River Place and Falls Park. Beautiful.

Also, near downtown, the trail is divided into half hard pavement (for cycling) and half rubberized surface for jogging (easy on the joints). A really nice trail system....you'll enjoy it.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Gaelcat:
When I checked this thread for replies, a "related links" item popped up at the bottom of the page. (I don't know why it didn't come up earlier when I did a "search this forum" search!) I followed one of the links and found a map...maybe this is the one you referred to, Gaelcat:

OpenStreetMap

Great map! It's neat to see all the interesting points the trail has access to.

Upstate booster:
Thanks for reassuring me that TTR is near the trail. That will help if we rent downtown.

gupstate: I appreciate knowing these details about the trail and its surroundings. My husband will be glad to hear about the rubberized jogging section since he'll go running (and I'll go walking) on days we're not biking. As you said, it's easier on the joints to use a surface like that.

It all sounds GREAT. I'm sure we will enjoy it.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,649,391 times
Pics: Swamp Rabbit Trail 03-30-2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomconnections/sets/72157623613631303/ - broken link)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Pics: Swamp Rabbit Trail 03-30-2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomconnections/sets/72157623613631303/ - broken link)

Wow! Thanks, g-man430. It looks MUCH nicer than I'd imagined. Maybe we'll go riding on two separate days: once starting/finishing at Travelers Rest and the other day around downtown Greenville.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,649,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountry View Post
Wow! Thanks, g-man430. It looks MUCH nicer than I'd imagined. Maybe we'll go riding on two separate days: once starting/finishing at Travelers Rest and the other day around downtown Greenville.
You're welcome. The buildings you see in this picture are scheduled to be torn down soon: Swamp Rabbit Trail on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomconnections/4477403401/in/set-72157623613631303/ - broken link) Once that is done, the section of unpaved trail there will be paved.

Here is some info about the upcoming grand opening: Swamp Rabbit 5k & Rabbit Rally | Greenville Rec (http://greenvillerec.com/swamp-rabbit-5k-rabbit-rally - broken link) You'll be able to ride your bike or walk from downtown Greenville north to downtown Travelers Rest after May 7th. By 2012 and possibly sooner, you'll be able to go from downtown Travelers Rest south to Lake Conestee which you can see at the very bottom part of this map: http://greenvillerec.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/srmap.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
You're welcome. The buildings you see in this picture are scheduled to be torn down soon: Swamp Rabbit Trail on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomconnections/4477403401/in/set-72157623613631303/ - broken link) Once that is done, the section of unpaved trail there will be paved.

Here is some info about the upcoming grand opening: Swamp Rabbit 5k & Rabbit Rally | Greenville Rec (http://greenvillerec.com/swamp-rabbit-5k-rabbit-rally - broken link)

Interesting. Looks like a funky old set of buildings, but probably unused for quite a while so I can see why it'll be demolished.

It's cool to have all that community support for the trail. Wish we could make the event, but our vacation is still a ways off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area