Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 40,696 times

Advertisements

We’ve been looking for a rental house on various sites, but being 500 miles away, the better ones are rented before we can even look at them (or the people never even respond to inquiries). Is it worthwhile to just drive around an area that we like and look for “For Rent” signs? Are there many rental properties that don’t advertise online?

I thought that some of the newcomers to town might have some good suggestions for finding a rental house.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I found the place I rented when my gps went wonky on me and took me the wrong way. I noticed a for rent sign and called. My landlord did advertise, but not sure where. It certainly can't hurt to drive around an area you like. Heck, if you see a postal worker out and about in the area, ask them if they have seen any for rent signs too! Good luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 AM

27 posts, read 80,708 times
We are in the process of relocating to Greenville. It took us the better part of three weeks to secure our house. We worked off craigslist primarily. The day we got our house, I found a new listing on craigslist in one of our target neighborhoods. Husband drove the 3 hours up there immediately and was the first to see the house, though there were several others who had inquired. He wrote a check on the spot, though it wasn't an ideal situation, at least we could get moved. I went to see it this weekend and yes, it isn't perfect, but the neighborhood is awesome. We drove around the adjacent streets and I saw three for rent signs in the yards. LOL!

So yes, the answer to your question is yes, it's worth it to drive around.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
There are several real estate companies in the area that manage rentals. Golden Strip Realty comes to mind. No, I don't work for them.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's hard being 10 hours away and trying to do this long distance. Every house we have been interested in has been gone before we even get a reply!

Oh well. We'll keep trying. Thanks again.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM

288 posts, read 949,181 times
Perhaps you could contact several rental companies in the area and tell them what you are looking for. They will keep an eye out and contact you when something comes up. After all, it is their job to find quality renters.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM

306 posts, read 689,658 times
What are the areas your looking at. Maybe someone reading your thread can help. Maybe City-Data forum can be your eyes.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM

27 posts, read 80,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
What are the areas your looking at. Maybe someone reading your thread can help. Maybe City-Data forum can be your eyes.
I'd be happy to help if I can. What area are you looking at?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM

The areas we're interested in are the outskirts of Greenville,Taylors, Greer, Easley, Pickens, Simpsonville. We would like something rural if possible. We would like a bit of space, and some woods if possible.

We are looking for a 3-bedroom with a garage (and a fenced yard if possible). We have three cats, which seems to count against us with some landlords. This is dumb, because they have never done any damage. Mostly, all they do is sleep!

We're not very particular about age or condition of the house, as we just plan to rent for a year or two and then buy a house.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
I will keep my eyes open as I travel the Simpsonville area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area