U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
 
156 posts, read 304,627 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

GHS Officials Announce Layoffs - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/23517322/detail.html - broken link)

For those of you who still think Greenville is recession proof, we just got the email a few minutes ago and its already hit WYFF. They are starting with 50, more to come ( is the unspoken word).

Steadman Hawkins laid off people last week at their Patewood Clinic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
11,058 posts, read 21,971,884 times
Reputation: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
GHS Officials Announce Layoffs - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/23517322/detail.html - broken link)

For those of you who still think Greenville is recession proof, we just got the email a few minutes ago and its already hit WYFF. They are starting with 50, more to come ( is the unspoken word).

Steadman Hawkins laid off people last week at their Patewood Clinic.
Fifty workers represents one half of 1 percent of GHS's 10,000 plus workforce.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
 
156 posts, read 304,627 times
Reputation: 54
"Dorman cautioned staffing changes will continue to be an ongoing process as the hospital system and other providers adjust to healthcare reform, changing technology and the evolving needs of the communities GHS serves."

Read the rest of the story, more layoffs to come as GHS adjusts to the market changes. And do you really think that GHS' intent is just to lay off 1% of its workforce? That amounts to nothing in their financial world. this is just the start. QUIT trying to sugarcoat everything! Darn! I work for GHS and do you think we feel safe from layoffs in our area of GHS?? HECK NO!

Time to get real on here posters!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
11,058 posts, read 21,971,884 times
Reputation: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
"Dorman cautioned staffing changes will continue to be an ongoing process as the hospital system and other providers adjust to healthcare reform, changing technology and the evolving needs of the communities GHS serves."

Read the rest of the story, more layoffs to come as GHS adjusts to the market changes. And do you really think that GHS' intent is just to lay off 1% of its workforce? That amounts to nothing in their financial world. this is just the start. QUIT trying to sugarcoat everything! Darn! I work for GHS and do you think we feel safe from layoffs in our area of GHS?? HECK NO!

Time to get real on here posters!!!!
Guess where my mom works? I'm not sugarcoating anything. Just stating the facts. We are getting real on here. You're the one that's not getting real.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Travelers Rest SC
745 posts, read 2,058,042 times
Reputation: 505
It's pretty telling when a hospital lays off, especially in a growing market such as Greenville. I have seen hospitals do this to get rid of employees they don't like without having to build a case against them. It will depend on who gets let go. Or it could be a move to try to remain profitable in a changing medical care climate. (I didn't vote for the change).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
 
4,905 posts, read 6,950,886 times
Reputation: 1896
Maybe its time to change companies or fields. 10k employees sounds like saturation to me. Other companies are hiring. Like GE Aviation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 AM
 
156 posts, read 304,627 times
Reputation: 54
I attended the Town Hall meeting for employees yesterday where Mike Riordan spoke and he confirmed, Yes, this is the beginning of layoffs, more will come. And I'll bet money that St Francis announces within 2 weeks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:49 AM
 
156 posts, read 304,627 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Guess where my mom works? I'm not sugarcoating anything. Just stating the facts. We are getting real on here. You're the one that's not getting real.

....and your mom isn't at all worried right??? WRONG little man WRONG.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
 
156 posts, read 304,627 times
Reputation: 54
Just gotta wonder why this thread isn't being responded. I guess its because all the naysayers are trying to bury it. Hmmmmm
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,680 posts, read 10,452,692 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
I attended the Town Hall meeting for employees yesterday where Mike Riordan spoke and he confirmed, Yes, this is the beginning of layoffs, more will come. And I'll bet money that St Francis announces within 2 weeks.
[quote=flgargoyle;14131767It will depend on who gets let go. Or it could be a move to try to remain profitable in a changing medical care climate. (I didn't vote for the change).[/QUOTE]

THAT is my bet - uncertainty breeds this kind of behavior in all sorts of organizations. Still, the layoffs (even if there are more) at GHS are more than offset by newly announced companies & projects (and some already in progress).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top