Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
You seem to say that same thing on every post! If you are "Back in New York City, thank God!" then why are you on Greenville's forum?
Sour grapes and unable to "let go". Sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
but if I were you I would look at its more progressive neighbor to the north, Charlotte NC....
The OP started on the NC forum, and I think I'm the one who steered him here. In part because Greenville meets so much of his overall criteria, and in part because of the intense competition in NC among grads of the many NC-based law schools (Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, etc.) I'd guess that USC law grads get priority in many places in SC, but I'd think it might be a little more open for an out-of-state law grad in Greenville.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The OP started on the NC forum, and I think I'm the one who steered him here. In part because Greenville meets so much of his overall criteria, and in part because of the intense competition in NC among grads of the many NC-based law schools (Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, etc.) I'd guess that USC law grads get priority in many places in SC, but I'd think it might be a little more open for an out-of-state law grad in Greenville.
I can understand that...problem is that while the competition is not as bad in Greenville the size of Greenville's law firms are also smaller....making it harder to find open positions.

Personally {just my opinion} I would rather be in a city where there is competition.....rather then a city with limited opportunity. Unfortunately a lot of the focus in Greenville is manufacturing.....every time there is an announcement on this forum about a new company going to Greenville it almost always involves manufacturing.

One thing about New York City that I love is that there is no limit to what an ambitious person can achieve if they work hard....in the years that I lived in Greenville never got that impression.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Is there a reason that a metropolitan area of over 19 million is even being mentioned in the same breath as Greenville?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM

306 posts, read 689,368 times
It's like comparing The Big Apple's to Southern Orange's.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Actually, as regards law, Greenville, SC has several major national "labor relations firms" based here and the area is known nationwide as sort of a ground zero for these types of firms. Much the way Greenville has a huge engineering cluster and a huge site selection cluster, it also has a huge labor relations law cluster. Though not the OP's field, to in any way say law firms in other cities are larger is plainly false and shows a lack of understanding and facts about Greenville. Greenville is actually home to several of the nations largest law firms and has branches of many others. I'll pull the info and post a list so we can have factual info and not conjecture.

Here are a couple that immediately come to mind:
Jackson Lewis - Greenville has the only South Carolina offices of this major national firm. - labor / workplace law
http://www.jacksonlewis.com/default.cfm (broken link)

Ogletree Deakins - Greenville is the headquarters for this major national firm - labor law - O.D. is one of the 100 largest law firms in the US (out of tens of thousands).
http://www.ogletreedeakins.com/

Last edited by gsupstate; 05-20-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Actually, as regards law, Greenville, SC has several major national "labor relations firms" based here and the area is known nationwide as sort of a ground zero for these types of firms. Much the way Greenville has a huge engineering cluster and a huge site selection cluster, it also has a huge labor relations law cluster. Though not the OP's field, to in any way say law firms in other cities are larger is plainly false and shows a lack of understanding and facts about Greenville. Greenville is actually home to several of the nations largest law firms and has branches of many others. I'll pull the info and post a list so we can have factual info and not conjecture.

Jackson Lewis - Greenville has the only South Carolina offices of this major national firm. - labor / workplace law
Jackson Lewis - A National Workplace Law Firm (http://www.jacksonlewis.com/default.cfm - broken link)

Ogletree Deakins - Greenville is the headquarters for this major national firm - labor law - O.D. is one of the 100 largest law firms in the US (out of tens of thousands).
Ogletree Deakins Labor and Employment Law Firm
Great post! Way to keep it real!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,501 times
Default Thanks for GREAT posts

Thanks to everyone for your post in response to my plan to relocate to your area. It is good to hear all spectrum's of experiences that you all have had in the area.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 80,666 times
I can't speak at all to your business questions. That being said I think if you're creative, smart and friendly you should find all the business you need.

We moved to Greenville last week. At this very moment I'm gazing out my home office window at a gorgeous apricot sunset right above the tree line. Our neighborhood is close in, 8 minutes from the heart of downtown. If you are into nature, the parks in Greenville are unmatched anywhere. I took a 4 hour trip yesterday - from my door to Caesar's Head State Park (phenom view), had a glam lunch in Brevard, cut across to Hendersonville, checked out the 3 day market (brilliant idea) then down the hill to my house. Even saw a few pretty waterfalls along the way.

My thing is this. Everyone works. No worries. Thing is, ya gotta have something cool to do when you flip that Closed Sign. Whether its minutes away, like Shakespeare in the Park, or a drive to the Blue Ridge, or a performance at Peace Center or going to the Saturday Market. Or meditating/walking at one of the gazillion parks here...you can immediately de-stress.

Oh, I LOVE Mcpherson Park. Bring the putter and a golf ball. LOL!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 PM

306 posts, read 689,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Jackson Lewis - A National Workplace Law Firm (http://www.jacksonlewis.com/default.cfm - broken link)

Ogletree Deakins Labor and Employment Law Firm
Great Post gsupstate- It's great that you deal with facts! Not conjecture, speculations and guesses. Just because Greenville is significantly smaller than NYC does not mean it lacks opportunities for the ambitious person. Bigger City + more competition does not always = more opportunity. Thanks for keeping it real and providing proof of you statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area