Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 13,250 times

Advertisements

So we recently bought some property near Hwy11 in Greer,we are from California and are thinking about retiring soon and moving to our new place.Last week when we were in town i wanted to go up Glassy Mountain but the only road i could find was into a private gated community.The guard said there is no way up to the top unless you are a resident here....this can't be ..!!! any help with diections to get me to the top of Glassy Mountain..??? Oh,, its Glassy in Greenville not PIckens county

Thanks

sf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbmw View Post
So we recently bought some property near Hwy11 in Greer,we are from California and are thinking about retiring soon and moving to our new place.Last week when we were in town i wanted to go up Glassy Mountain but the only road i could find was into a private gated community.The guard said there is no way up to the top unless you are a resident here....this can't be ..!!! any help with diections to get me to the top of Glassy Mountain..??? Oh,, its Glassy in Greenville not PIckens county

Thanks

sf
I am afraid you are out of luck. That whole mountain is now called The Cliffs at Glassy. Unless someone knows something I don't, it is completely private and gated, therefore outsiders have no chance to get on the mountain.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
If you ask nicely, they might let you take a quick picture of you and your family outside the gates.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Having lived in Colorado most of my life, it was little shocking how little public land there is here. You can climb just about any peak out there - not so here.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Location: South Mountains (Southern Burke County) Connelly Springs NC
45 posts, read 122,030 times
I think you can go up 253 through Tigerville, cross 11 at the Perdue Mountain Fruit Farm, go straight to the stop sign, turn right, then take a left on Callahan Mountain Rd, it goes almost straight up for a moment, when you get to the top there are a few houses, on the right before you start your descent, there is a dirt/gravel rd called Glass Mountain Rd, according to the map it's a county rd. I believe this is where the hang gliders go to launch their craft. At least that's what I had been told. I have never been down it. I was told it was a scary drive.

If you continue down Callahans Mountain Rd, you come across the Old Pointsett Bridge on the right, this is a pretty cool site, if you continue on to the stop sign, take a right, you will go through The North Grenville Reservoir, it's a beautiful drive through county owned property, if you take your next right you will go up a mountain to Saluda NC, which is a cool little town.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
yeah, and there are plans to take over even more of the prime land for gated communities. Turns out they sell real well. Even Gary Player is here helping to sell some of them with new golf courses. There is gold in them there hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area