Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post
After quite a few years of searching and many trips to the Carolinas, we are finally making our move this summer, pending job. I live three blocks off the beach in San Diego, a beach you can't get onto in the summer any longer because it's all been sold out to tourists at the expense of the homeowners. We are in our 6th week of June glooms, no sun. Traffic, taxes, illegals, utilities, gas, etc are all out of control with absolutely no reason to believe that there will be sufficient change in the state/local government to make the necessary changes.

Education? California public schools rank 48 in the US followed only by Alabama and Mississippi. How is this explained? Well, yesterday I was in the waiting area of the counseling office at San Dieguito Academy (public hs) and looked through the current issue of the school newspaper where I was treated to a full page article about visiting a strip club in downtown San Diego. Our kids can't read, so there is probably little danger of negative influence.

What has most surprised me is the number of people who upon hearing about our move speak at length about how they wish they could move out.

We are already in love with Greenville. We've visited the schools the boys will be attending and found them really helpful and positive getting them ready for the transition. We are Catholic and there is large, friendly parish walking distance from our new house. The neighborhood is established, the families we've met have been very friendly.

Main St and the mountains are fantastic. There is so much to do. Personally, I can't wait until move day actually arrives. So don't let the naysayers dissuade you. I recommend you make a couple of trips and stay a week or so on at least one. The longer you stay, the more of day to day life you see and you can judge how it will mesh with your own. Greenville and the people are friendly, helpful and seem to be committed to their values, something only the angry Californians could be offended by.

Good Luck! PM if you have any questions I might be able to answer for you.

Gee, you guys sound like neat folks. Welcome, welcome! For all of the other posters, it is clear and true that no, there is no perfect area in SC. It doesn't bother me when others comment on the negative aspects of our communities they may have encountered. It's much better to know up front and adjust expectations than to be sorely disappointed. I think we are most helpful when we are most truthful. And for EVERYONE moving in, we look to YOU to contribute in every positive way to make this an even more wonderful place to live. We are especially excited if you can bring your company and JOBS with you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,515 times
Call Sandy Farrey! She has helped many new clients move from CA, FL and several other places. She is great to work with and helped me find the perfect home. She also goes WAY BEYOND the role of a normal real estate agent and REALLY WORKS HARD! Easy going and makes it stress free as possible. Plus she has lived in Greenville FOREVER! She works at Prudential C. Dan Joyner.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 10,964 times
Default Thank You

Thank you all so much for the information you have given me. My husband and I are planning to visit this upcoming spring for 1 week during spring break. We thought this might be a nice time to come over. We are very excited, and cant wait.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,223 times
Thought I would make a comment as well. My husband and I retired in January this year and moved into our house we found 3 years ago close to Landrum. We researched long and hard before focusing on the Greenville area. Love our property for the land, the view of the mountains and the proximity to the stores I love, TJ's whole foods, etc. Really enjoy Greenville, swamp rabbit trail along the reedy river, downtown restaurants and shops hiking trails just near our home. Met a fantastic couple that moved from N.Cal area about 10 years ago, and connected with wonderful neighbors. Sometimes in the heat of the summer we miss the fog from S.F., however, the fog in the city would get depressing after 30 days or more..so I only miss that a little. The previous days with the cooler weather reminded us of the average temp. in S.F. We don't miss the expense of living in S.F., could not have retired there. Of course we miss some of our friends. We love our life here, enjoy our pool every day, love the garden, my vegetables grow superfast. Could not even grow tomatoes in SF as it was too damp and cold there.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM

15 posts, read 30,604 times
What a great thread to see re-activated! My husband and I are closing on our house along the Sonoma coast this Thursday, due to close on our Greenville house the following week, and hoping to have THE BIG MOVE completed by the first week in October. Although we are SO READY to do this, I was feeling just a little anxious about the transition today. Your message came at just the right time, thanks! PS. It's been 17 years since I had a garden and I am thrilled at the prospect of harvesting home-grown tomatoes again!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 31,029 times
We just arrived Sunday. Our 6 year old started school at Rudolph glen amazing school never seen one like that in San Diego. Love it so far now I just need to start my business.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:06 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blc78 View Post
We just arrived Sunday. Our 6 year old started school at Rudolph glen amazing school never seen one like that in San Diego. Love it so far now I just need to start my business.
Are you referring to Rudolph Gordon Elementary? I've never heard of Rudolph Glen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area