Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What is assisted living? She lives alone? My father passed away also but its been a while so I know how you feel.
She lives in an apartment alone upstairs in the same building where my dad lived with her before going down to the lockdown ward. It's a place where they provide all levels of care, so she was able to go visit him a lot in the lockdown ward. So they have lockdown (memory care), then they have assisted living (next step up), then apartments (more independence - where she is).

Not to get OT (but I will slightly), but I at times hate American culture and what we do to our old family members. We put them in these places to not deal with them. Ok, 'nuff said. Off soap box.

Sorry for your loss. Yes, it is tough. The memory and pain does fade, but it never really goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I guess I am just big on anniversaries.
We don't mark the anniversaries for death in my family. It's not that we didn't love the person - we did! It's just that there's nothing to gain from marking the time of death.

If your mother is sensitive to the date today, and if you recognize that and can be there emotionally for her, that's great! And hopefully she can be there for you as well, since you too are hurting.

But I wouldn't be so hard on your brothers and sisters for not recognizing it. They may be celebrating their love for their father everyday in their hearts, and feel no need to actually mark the day he died - and if you think about it, that's actually a good way to deal the loss.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I talked to my mother who lived several states away once or twice a week for the 13 yrs she lived after father's death. But I did not call specifically on the anniversary of his death.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
^^^Same thing..almost. My mom died about a year and a half ago. I talk to my father about 2 or 3 times a week, but I didn't call on the anniversary either. There wasn't a point to call or not call either way. We talk regularly enough, that I would have called close to that time.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, so dad died a year ago today. I live out of state and have made it a point to call my mother several times today to chit cat about her church service, her entertainment this afternoon at her assisted living place (you know, just to see how she is doing since today is the one year day). She seems to be holding up well.

I have three siblings who all live there. Not a one has called or stopped to visit her. Something is wrong with this picture or I am warped in how I think things should go in these situations. I'm glad she is as she is and not as I am or I'd be devastated if I were her getting no calls or visits. That's just me. Am I right or wrong or is there no right or wrong or what are your thoughts? Seems a bit cold to me to just forget about him completely like this and not even acknowledge things and not contact her. Everyone is too busy with their families this weekend I guess.

Expecting anyone, especially siblings or spouses, to always behave the way you choose to behave, and think they should too, is just setting yourself up to be disappointed and frustrated.

I would quit expending energy this way, as it's an exercise in futility.

Just do what YOU think is right FOR YOU and quit wasting time worrying about what you think other people should be doing. Remember, what you think and believe is just that - what you believe, but that doesn't make it the only truth or belief everyone should have.

Sorry for the sad anniversary, I'm sure you really miss your dad.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Why don't you call on days other than the anniversary? It would seem that calling on the anniversary would drive the fact home that your dad is gone, and would go miles towards making your mother feel worse about it all. Call at other times to make things more positive when you call your mother.

The bigger question is, do the other siblings call your mother other times? If I recall your history correctly there is one that run for your mother, and your suspicsions are based on a gut feeling from 2000 miles away. You can't and shouldn't tell them how to act or not act. If a sibling does that to me I tell them to shove off.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Death of a parent

Just keep doing what you are doing. It comes from the heart.

My dad passed away 11 years ago and I still think of him everyday. On the 1 year anniversary, I found a penny on my bathroom floor. I called my mom to tell her right away.

My sisters are very good about visiting the gravesite and putting fresh flowers there. I always found it hard to go there, however, after my mother passed away, I now go more often especially on the holidays.

So, always remember your mom. At this point, she remembers.

I always try to remind my husband to talk to his dad about his mom. He finds that hard. It's not the same coming from me.

I know it's hard with siblings but don't judge - just do what you think YOU should do and I think you did the right thing.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
My dad died about 8 years ago in mid-October, but I don't remember the date. My mom died about 4 years ago, but I don't remember the date. Anniversaries of deaths are just not something that I think about, other than that of my late wife. I remember their birthdays. Those are happy days to remember. Maybe your sibs are like me. It doesn't mean I didn't love them nor that don't miss them.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It would seem that calling on the anniversary would drive the fact home that your dad is gone, and would go miles towards making your mother feel worse about it all.
These days (particularly the first one) are very hard on people who have lost loved ones.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
These days (particularly the first one) are very hard on people who have lost loved ones.
The first year is referred to the "year of firsts"..... first birthday, first time you go to the supermarket and reflexivly want to buy their favorite foods.. the first time you want to call them with news and can't.....

It's heart-numbingly horrible. I would rather die myself than EVER go through that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning