Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka;
Purepug, I'm sorry about your losing your dad--it sounds like a totally stressful situation and the woman at the hospital sounds just plain crazy--the only thing I can think of is that she wasn't listening to you very well and then a coworker might have been doing something silly and she was laughing at that. I can't imagine that she would have been laughing at your situation, but not listening and then laughing at the wrong time was inappropriate.

It does seem sometimes as if people kick you when you're down and that's really hard to take--esp when they do it deliberately, but then you probably wouldn't even notice rudeness as much when you're in a good mood.

Well I lost my mom recently too, so I'll tell you what I'm doing to heal. Nothing. That is, I'm really relaxing and kicking back and trying to not do one thing beyond what I have to do (go to work) or what I want to do (read). I figure that when I get tired of this, I'll be feeling better. Good on ya for the 16 hours of sleep--you must have needed it. I'm thinking that it would even be a bad idea to put pressure on yourself to talk to your husband about this, beyond what you feel comfortable with, b/c that's just putting more stress on
yourself and you guys can always talk later when you're not so stressed.
Thanks. We haven't discussed my dad's financial issues much the past couple days and it's been nice.

I'm not responsible for paying his bills but I do have a certain amount of time to get some assets outside of probate into my name. Probate laws stipulate I have to have his outstanding debt cleared up first. I'm not responsible for payment but the insolvency has to be resolved so the titles to those assets will remain clear. I have some of it resolved but not all.

Being an only child and my dad never remarrying, all of the collectors seem to have found me rather easily. My dad's four siblings and his parents are all still living and have been of little to no help. I should clarify, many of them I don't
trust and the few I thought would have been of help, well, not so much. This experience has taught me to not assume one's family will always be there. At first I was always checking on one of my uncles and my aunt but it was seemingly not reciprocal. That's life but it has been a little disappointing.

Sorry about the loss of your mom. Sounds like you are doing the right thing for you and that's good. I have to learn how to relax a little more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious;
I am sorry for your loss. You are grieving and under a lot of stress. You are not responsible for your dad's bills. I would not talk to anyone about his bills - you don't have to . . .as for the laughing woman . . .no explanation - just try to forget that, take care of yourself . . .eat right, rest, take some vacation if you can - get massages . . .just take a break from life (in healthy ways).
A vacation would be nice! Perhaps soon .

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
My Mother passed in 2001, and it was an experience , for sure. Relatives on her side of the family began calling telling me that she had things in her possession that belonged to them, and could we get together so they could retrieve them. These are people who hadn't talked to me in over 25 years. Now they wanted to be my best friend. Well, needless to say, they gained nothing but a curt response from me. All this, on top of a sister that just wanted her cut from the state, but never offered any help toward Mom's situation. Luckily we were able to pay most of her bills off, but some of the major hospital bills had to be written off. It was a bad situation, but we all got through it, and I didn't have to go through anything like it until my Dad passed in 2008. Of course, by then I was ready for what was to come. Even my money-hungry sister. My Dad had good insurance, and more assets, so the wolves were really at the door for him. But everything worked out. I guess the quote " What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger" has a ring of truth to it. I hope for you, PurePugx3 you can gain strength and knowledge through all this.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
What Can be the answer to a considerable mounting factor of depression with the death of a loved one, is the reality of our own mortality. I suffer from that every day it seems, especially as I find more often than not to be the oldest person in the room.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
My Mother passed in 2001, and it was an experience , for sure. Relatives on her side of the family began calling telling me that she had things in her possession that belonged to them, and could we get together so they could retrieve them. These are people who hadn't talked to me in over 25 years. Now they wanted to be my best friend. Well, needless to say, they gained nothing but a curt response from me. All this, on top of a sister that just wanted her cut from the state, but never offered any help toward Mom's situation. Luckily we were able to pay most of her bills off, but some of the major hospital bills had to be written off. It was a bad situation, but we all got through it, and I didn't have to go through anything like it until my Dad passed in 2008. Of course, by then I was ready for what was to come. Even my money-hungry sister. My Dad had good insurance, and more assets, so the wolves were really at the door for him. But everything worked out. I guess the quote " What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger" has a ring of truth to it. I hope for you, PurePugx3 you can gain strength and knowledge through all this.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I can only imagine the experience with my dad will help when I may have to deal with my mother's estate one day. Although that idea, frankly, scares me. Reason being, until a very unfortunate turn of events for my dad occurred the last year or so of his life, he had no debt, a good job + benefits, decent health, money in the bank, credit score over 800.

OTOH, my mother has always been terrible with money, bad credit, poor health management, irresponsible, etc. She also lives quite a distance away from me and lord knows what she could be up to with her money these days. She is married - I think so, anyway - to a guy I've met only once or twice. Hopefully they are married and he can clean up her/their financial mess when the time comes. Not trying to sound cold, she and I are just not very close. I'm sure if she hasn't already taken me out of her will, such as that might be, it's only because she hasn't thought of it yet .

Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
A vacation would be nice! Perhaps soon .
Yes, sooner rather than later. You need a break from all this. Don't go in March though--too many spring breakers.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Also, money hungry relatives are the worst! Like vultures!! They never want to help, just their cut....it's sick.

I believe one of my uncles has a lot of my dad's property stored at one of his houses. The uncle is married to a woman who came into a lot of wealth when her mom died about ten years ago....which is why they have more than one house.

In any case, it would be hard for me to prove because my uncle doesn't need to or have to provide me access to his own property. Most of what I would want is purely sentimental. It's sick when one's own relatives see death as a cash cow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning