Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,220,205 times

Advertisements

You know I am one of those people, who would give you a hug, knowing what your situation was. Seldom do people hug one another. I have friends who know my situation, and they told me have a Merry Christmas. How the heck can I have a Merry Christmas with no one to spend it with? Now I am crying out this last week and I am realizing who my true friends are. Four of my girlfriend's phone me to inquire about me. My husband and I spent 37 Christmases together. Wow..to be left all by yourself, so when people know your situation and ask how your Christmas was I feel personally it is insensitive remark. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-28-2012 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Sorry - copyright issues - you may post a link but not the entire text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't assume that all people feel like me. On the the contrary, I indicated that this thread had educated me that they in fact do not, hence my words "prior to this thread".

I was simply trying to explain that perhaps some of the co-workers aren't as cold-harded as the poster thought. They might have assumed that a grieving co-worker wouldn't want to be asked about her feelings, particularly in detail.

I remember in my 20s going into my manager's office to tell him that I needed time off to fly home because I had received a phone call a couple of minutes before telling me my father was dead. I was so glad he didn't probe and ask me personal questions as I could barely hold it together.
Yes, "prior to this thread" I understood. I still don't understand why you presume that you know her situation and what she wants.

Anywho, I shall let it RIP and not continue my witching. Good day.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I still don't understand why you presume that you know her situation and what she wants.
????

I wouldn't presume to know her situation and I only know what she's posted she wanted. I only suggested a possible reason why acquaintances weren't providing the emotional support she expected in the workplace, specifically why:

Quote:
They didn't want to hear any details, ask me how I was feeling, nothing.
Based on my own experience. I didn't think it necessarily meant that they didn't care. I was trying to make her feel a little better about it. My bad.

Last edited by cdnirene; 12-28-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,281,544 times
cdnirene I think you make a good point - we react sometimes as we wish others would react toward us in a similar situation and frequently we just read it wrong. I know I do all the time. And it doesn't mean I don't care and it doesn't mean I'm prying if I ask questions...I can only judge by what I know.

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with the situation and simply don't know what to say or don't think before they speak. One would hope that co-workers would be comfortable enough to acknowledge the situation and ask sincerely about how things went and offer a little support. Unfortunately we don't always live in that world. I know I often cover up my real feelings by making jokes and/or actually rebuffing people who might actually be trying. What I might need is someone to hug me and let me cry - but the way it comes off you'd think I was in full control and had totally recovered from a situation and don't need anyone for anything. It's my way of holding it all together because if I ever let down my guard just a little bit I'm a goner.

I will say - thanks to all of you I am measuring my words a little more carefully and watching a little bit for signs of what people might need who are grieving or having a hard time. Everyone needs something different....it really is up to us as friends and co-workers to try and ascertain what that might be if it isn't clear and then let it roll out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning