Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,950 times

Advertisements

This oddball didn't dream much as a kid. When I did dream it was always about trying to get away from a crowd of yelling people to the point it was difficult to get my breath and I would end up flying away like superman flew. LOL

I don;t recall ever dreaming of my parents or grandparents even though I spent a lot of time with both. All gone now.

I did wake up about 3 months ago remembering I had heard my deceased wife saying that she was going on now. She has been gone for 4 years and 6 months when that happened. I haven't dreamed anything since.

Strange........ probably, but normal for me it seems.

Glad to hear that people have pleasant dreams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
My mother passed away over a year ago and I dream about her fairly often. I also dream occasionally of my father who I lost over 40 years ago. I dream VERY frequently of my son who passed 11 years ago.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,059 times
Husband passed 99' dad 05' mom 09' sister 09' and many other loved ones. Almost daily some or all are in my dreams, but never ever sick or mention of any passed on. I love, love my dreams because of this. The dreams are just regular muldane things going on, but everyone is alive and well. When I was a kid though, I dreamed my Papaw passed. The funeral and everything. Woke up to my mom crying and packing for us to go back east. That has always puzzled me. How did I know he died and why?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,378,991 times
I dream about my deceased parents and grandmother quite often. I do go through spells where I don't. I swear, I hate to wake up from those dreams because they are so real, and I have my parents back again. We may be doing something mundane, or just something having to do with every day life, but they are back, and they are so real and so close to me I can feel them.

I lost my father in 1995 on February 5 and my mother on December 24, 2000. Its been a while for the both of them, but I still miss them like crazy.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
I occasionally dream if my first husband, who died young many years ago. I dream regularly of my mother and dad who died when we were nearing 21st Century. The dreams of my mom are more clear than those of my dad. Not sure why. So far, all the dreams are pleasant, whereas, when they were alive, sometimes the dreams were not.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Not immediately after my father's death, but ten years later after my business partner died.

In a lot of ways the two would have gotten along. They were both from South Carolina. They both had similar outlooks and were gregarious people.

So after my biz partner's death, I was asleep when I saw the two of them standing at the foot of the bed. Dick and my Dad were having a conversation about me. Dick looked over at my dad and asked, "When he was a kid, did he say all kinds of funny things?" To that my dad replied, "Yes. Although I always worried that he was a bit odd." Then Dick said, "Oh, he's awake," and the two vanished.

To this day, I can't decide whether this was a dream or not.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,542 times
For those that do dream of their deceased relatives, did this only begin after their deaths?

I don't know that I've EVER had a dream focused around one of my parents. But they are both living, and young.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM

20 posts, read 88,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Be glad that you still have her in your dreams. Be happy that she is happy where she is. Talk to her if you feel so inclined.
Beautifully put.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,134,711 times
My father died unexpectedly in his sleep in October 2006. I had just turned 20 and was in my first year of college.

For the first week or so after his death, I would dream of him just as I had dreamed of him before he died.

Then, probably as I internalized the reality of his passing, a common theme in my dreams would be that he did not die that morning, but suffered an event that left him with severe mental disabilities. He would only talk sparingly, for example, and very slowly, which is totally different from the way he was.

My dreams of him became less frequent over time, but I still occasionally dream of him in that scenario.

In a memorable dream shortly after he died, he was completely lucid and said something like "Life is just a path that leads to death", but more eloquently phrased. In another, my paternal grandpa (who died in a similar manner to my father 6 years prior) came to comfort my mother.

What affected me more, I think, was fearing that my mother had died in her sleep almost every morning for a few months after he died. Her respirations during sleep are very slow and almost invisible, so I still (but rarely) will wake her up when she's conked out in the living room in the late evening just to make sure she's still alive.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,667,664 times
I dream about mine a fair amt. of time. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes not. Parents are a strong part of your personal history--natural to have a life long link w/ them--good, bad or a mix of the 2. But, it's a dream and a part of your past. No need to focus on it,unless something is unfinished about the past w/ them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning