Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM

43,977 posts, read 44,756,534 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what others do when an in-law of one your family members dies (meaning someone who is not related to you directly and isn't your in-law) especially if you don't know them well. Of course, you express condolences to your family's member as it is their in-law. But do you contact your relative's in-law directly to express condolences and if so in what format?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM

692 posts, read 1,008,438 times
An in-law of a family member that I am either not close to, don't know them or never even met them? I'd probably express condolences to the family member closest to me who was also close to the deceased, but I wouldn't contact the deceased family directly because I don't know them and vice versa, but whether you should or shouldn't and how you should or shouldn't reach out depends on your family dynamic. A card, a phone call or even and e-mail may suffice. If my parent died and my husband's sister in law's brother's wife that I don't know and never met contact me and expressed their condolences I'd thank them, but I'd also think it was odd because his family is odd. Death can bring out strange emotions.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 AM

43,977 posts, read 44,756,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
An in-law of a family member that I am either not close to, don't know them or never even met them? I'd probably express condolences to the family member closest to me who was also close to the deceased, but I wouldn't contact the deceased family directly because I don't know them and vice versa, but whether you should or shouldn't and how you should or shouldn't reach out depends on your family dynamic. A card, a phone call or even and e-mail may suffice. If my parent died and my husband's sister in law's brother's wife that I don't know and never met contact me and expressed their condolences I'd thank them, but I'd also think it was odd because his family is odd. Death can bring out strange emotions.
What about in-law of a family member that you met a few times many years ago but don't normally have contact with?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,489,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What about in-law of a family member that you met a few times many years ago but don't normally have contact with?
It would not be much different from not having met them since it was many years ago.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,440,328 times
Quote:
You're under no obligation, but it wouldn't hurt to send a sympathy card.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,365,210 times
Default sympathy card

Quote:
I was wondering what others do when an in-law of one your family members dies (meaning someone who is not related to you directly and isn't your in-law) especially if you don't know them well. Of course, you express condolences to your family's member as it is their in-law. But do you contact your relative's in-law directly to express condolences and if so in what format?
I always send a sympathy card.

And in the case of my USA friend I send a special sympathy card and a condolences letter handwritten and as he is jewish . I managed after some online researching/reading to make a good letter taking into account the judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning