Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,736,164 times

Advertisements

I don't think you have to have a cut off point. You will know if you should go. It will seem like the natural thing to do.

I get the same feelings about sympathy cards and flowers. The bar is low for sympathy cards but it has to be someone I really cared for and out of town to get flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,415,141 times
Quote:
I don't care if anyone comes to my funeral, and I've told my surviving brother and sister that, if they don't come to not feel an iota of guilt over it! Take the money and spend it on a more enjoyable trip somewhere else!
Great philosophy! Funerals are for the living, not the dead. They don't know or care if you are there or not. And if you come from a fractured or dysfunctional family and won't get any comfort from being around them, don't go to the funeral.

No one can make you feel guilty for not going to anyone's funeral. That is a personal decision and yours alone to make.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,889,243 times
My dad's funeral was big. About 200 people showed up. I think anyone that knows the person should be there.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,185,060 times
I went to 12 funerals in one year and everyone was asking me , how come so many ? well if I knew the person Im going to their funeral it is a way to pay respect to the person who died end of story .

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,889,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I went to 12 funerals in one year and everyone was asking me , how come so many ? well if I knew the person Im going to their funeral it is a way to pay respect to the person who died end of story .
Exactly

Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
Is 112 miles considered within reasonable travel distance for a memorial service for the father of a friend with whom I play cards weekly (in a large group) whom I've known for 8 years and who does outside contractor work for me? I'd never met the deceased and do not know anyone in his family. My wife and I have already sent flowers. Any advice would be appreciated...

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM

983 posts, read 1,061,394 times
"Funerals are for the living, not the dead, who had no idea whether you attend or not. If you have dysfunctional, abusive or an"uncongenial" family, then don't go. And don't feel any guilt."

Exactly! I have a funeral for a close relative coming up. I don't plan on attending because I was not close to this relative. Hadn't seen her in over 30 years. She had "issues" (I say diplomatically). The rest of the family that will attend - we are not congenial. I would like to be, but I don't think a funeral is the place to build bridges.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,539,555 times
I would fly worldwide if need be. My regard for the departed and the family take precedence over any " inconvenience" it may have in the daily routine.

I keep but a handful of those in my heart...So it's a no brainier to attend.

It's mind boggling that we now dismiss this circle of life by not showing respect for the life lived...

If millions who didn't "know" Michael Jackson showed up ....I'd think someone who actually touched your life deserves homage.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,726,809 times
I honestly would not expect anyone to travel to attend a funeral for a family member of mine. As long as they offer condolences, or send a card or flowers to the funeral home, that is enough.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,726,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeroo View Post
Is 112 miles considered within reasonable travel distance for a memorial service for the father of a friend with whom I play cards weekly (in a large group) whom I've known for 8 years and who does outside contractor work for me? I'd never met the deceased and do not know anyone in his family. My wife and I have already sent flowers. Any advice would be appreciated...
Well this isn't a friend if all you do is play cards once a week in a large group. If you never see them outside of the card group or having done contract work for you, that's not a friend.

This is an acquaintance.

Very nice you sent flowers, that's enough.

If this was a real friend you knew many years, even if you didn't know the father, you go.

Not in this case.

Too many today throw the word "friend" around too easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning