Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,280,042 times

Advertisements

What a lovely picture of you and your parents, Tony. Thank you for sharing. Good looking family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,889,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What a lovely picture of you and your parents, Tony. Thank you for sharing. Good looking family.
Thank you

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 AM

273 posts, read 1,062,829 times
my dad died in his early 40s when i was 10. just last night i had a dream i was with him and hugging him.

but i believe i have it wrong. society has told me that dads are useless sperm donors and nincompoops according to sitcoms of today. seriously though, i would be a different person if he were still alive. i didn't realize how devastating his death was to me growing up.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 11,511 times
Hey Tony,

I just want to say I'm so very sorry to hear you loosing your father. My father actually passed away last January from cancer, at 60. Man, it will really make you break down and depressed. It's time to live your life for him now, become someone great. Also, be grateful your mother is still alive...my mother passed away when I was 16. Life is hard my friend, don't give up!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theor23 View Post
Hey Tony,

I just want to say I'm so very sorry to hear you loosing your father. My father actually passed away last January from cancer, at 60. Man, it will really make you break down and depressed. It's time to live your life for him now, become someone great. Also, be grateful your mother is still alive...my mother passed away when I was 16. Life is hard my friend, don't give up!
Sorry to hear that.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,122,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There can be no greater statement of love than when the child misses the parent. The only solace can be that the greatest purpose of one's life can't be realized until they we are gone.

Peace came to your Father and he is blessed that he has a Son who knows that.
Excellent post...I lost my dad when he was 60 to heart and lung problem brought on by years upon years of welding smoke,cigs and poor eating habits..we were best friends and worked jobs together all over north America and had a blast..he was one of the few guys who could make me laugh til my sides hurt,he was the only person I could count on 100$ to have my back on EVERYTHING that life could throw at me...I was on a jobsite 200 miles away when I found out he had passed and although I thought I was prepared for it the news alone took my legs from under me and the breath from my body..I went home,carried him out as he would have me and missed him a bit everyday since..he missed seeing my children and the life I currently live...he and I collected old British Leyland Land Rovers and a month after he passed I stumbled upon a rare one in the weeds in a neighboring state by accident and the first thing I did without thinking was grab my cell to call him and tell him about it..that's when it hit me he was gone and ill bet the guy whose house I was sitting in front of was wondering why there was a guy 6'3 and built like a mountain laying against the side of his truck crying like a kid missing their daddy...I've never looked at another Land Rover since...it does get better with time though

Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM

18,269 posts, read 25,983,245 times
Like muleskinner, my dad worked heavy construction for decades, I joined the same construction union local that he was in. My dad smoked incessantly as well. But he was the best. The BEST! He grew up in an Indian orphanage in Oklahoma-his Cherokee dad and German mom dumped him and left. And growing up when he did (early 1920's) Natives in this country were looked down on. He got it worse, was in fights w/ other kids all the time where he grew up.

That sort of upbringing lit a fire underneath him. He vowed that if he got married and could have a family he would be there for his kids. He would work 10, 12 hours a day pushing construction equipment down the road but always had time to toss the baseball with me in the back yard after dinner. If he missed one of my baseball games when I was in little league he would still feel bad about it weeks later. It was 30 years ago last Saturday that cancer took him. I miss him, he was the best.

Tony, it sounds like the relationship you had with your dad was first rate. I like the quote in post #16 by Mack Knife-- "Peace came to your Father and he is blessed that he has a Son that knows that."

Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,122,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Like muleskinner, my dad worked heavy construction for decades, I joined the same construction union local that he was in. My dad smoked incessantly as well. But he was the best. The BEST! He grew up in an Indian orphanage in Oklahoma-his Cherokee dad and German mom dumped him and left. And growing up when he did (early 1920's) Natives in this country were looked down on. He got it worse, was in fights w/ other kids all the time where he grew up.

That sort of upbringing lit a fire underneath him. He vowed that if he got married and could have a family he would be there for his kids. He would work 10, 12 hours a day pushing construction equipment down the road but always had time to toss the baseball with me in the back yard after dinner. If he missed one of my baseball games when I was in little league he would still feel bad about it weeks later. It was 30 years ago last Saturday that cancer took him. I miss him, he was the best.

Tony, it sounds like the relationship you had with your dad was first rate. I like the quote in post #16 by Mack Knife-- "Peace came to your Father and he is blessed that he has a Son that knows that."
Great post Double H...same here..I got in the trades at 17 and started working at 18 booming around with the old man..wonderful life that can only be appreciated by someone whose sat on the top of a power plant at night eating lunch with their dad and staring at the dying glow of the sun on the rockies.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 PM

100 posts, read 155,844 times
I know how you feel tony, I lost my m other at the age of 20. but I believe it all happens for reasons god will reveal to us one day. bless you man.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 AM

They named an award after my dad on Thursday. My mom and I had to give it to this agent at the School Safety award ceremony. We are so proud =)

Here is the guy that received my dad's award.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning