Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 8,142 times

Advertisements

My husband passed away 3 years ago but we had been separated for years before that. He was an alcoholic that I could no longer live with but I loved him dearly. I have met a new man who I love very much and he has asked me and my youngest son (I have two other children that are grown and do not live at home) to move in with him. The older two children are not mature enough to trust them with the remains and the youngest is only 11. Is it too much to ask him to allow me to bring the remains with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
This is a new relationship. You are moving in, not getting married. Not that it would matter imo....Keep the remains. You cared enough to take charge of this ex's remains, you should keep them, or bury him. The new guy will not have an issue, if you don't make an issue out of it. IMO

Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Keep the remains. If your SO has a big problem with it -- perhaps you should look more closely at other red flags?

I know that if I loved someone very much (you didn't say he loves you very much but I'm assuming he does), I would be very glad to know that my SO loved at least one other person deeply. More than one? Better. (However, if my SO had 3-4 previous marriages, I might start to wonder. LOL) I would think that as we get older we get over this "I have to be your One and Only."

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I would have no need to keep my alcoholic ex-husband's remains. I doubt his children (not mine) would want them. If I had his ashes, I would take them to one of his favorite places and sprinkle them all around. Ashes to ashes...

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh71 View Post
My husband passed away 3 years ago but we had been separated for years before that. He was an alcoholic that I could no longer live with but I loved him dearly. I have met a new man who I love very much and he has asked me and my youngest son (I have two other children that are grown and do not live at home) to move in with him. The older two children are not mature enough to trust them with the remains and the youngest is only 11. Is it too much to ask him to allow me to bring the remains with?
No, not at all.

My first boyfriend committed suicide a little over four years ago. His family gave me a little bit of his remains. I don't plan on throwing it away no matter what.

He was the first man I truly loved. All he gave me is love. How can I forget about him? I moved on to a new meaningful relationship. My current boyfriend is very understanding towards my feeling. Well, of course, I take my current boyfriend's feeling into consideration and I don't talk about my past all the time.

However, I do believe I have the right to grieve over my loved one. I will carry his remains with me for the rest of my life. A real man understands it.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh71 View Post
Your attachment to the "remains" of an alcoholic husband from whom you were separated in the face of a supposedly new relationship with a man "I love very much" suggests to me a real lack of maturity.

Get rid of that pot of bone fragments, in whatever way, and get the h*ll on with real life and stop wanking around with self-indulgent sentimental nonesense.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 AM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times
Quote:

I would have no need to keep my alcoholic ex-husband's remains. I doubt his
children (not mine) would want them. If I had his ashes, I would take them to
one of his favorite places and sprinkle them all around. Ashes to ashes...
I totally agree - why would you want to keep them anyway? My DH and myself, decided to take ours (one day!) to a remote lake in the Rockies, and sprinkle them in the lake. Pick a nice spot, and invite the children if they would like to take part. Did you ever see the movie The Descendants?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I would want my remains spread over my birth state of Texas. I would not want to burden my Ex or family with keeping.

Throw my ashes to the winds over the state I have loved, lived and died.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
My DH and myself, decided to take ours (one day!) to a remote lake in the Rockies, and sprinkle them in the lake. Pick a nice spot, and invite the children if they would like to take part. Did you ever see the movie The Descendants?
Better yet, the movie "The Big Lebowski" ?

Don't throw them INTO the winds.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
My wife's first husband was an alcoholic and emotionally abusive. He refused to stop drinking and her children did not keep in touch. I asked her what she would do with his remains if she had them and she said "flush them down the toilet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning