U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM

215 posts, read 269,804 times

Advertisements

Recently a friend's mother passed away. In her obituary, they listed her children's name with their spouses names following their names in parenthesis ie. Her children Joe (Julie) and Louis (Mary). The children who are single never married were listed, and the divorced children were listed without any mention of the ex spouses, which I understand.

However, I found it odd that the grandchildren were listed but not their mothers, and perhaps their mothers names could have been mentioned, to respect the grandchildren? For example, Suzy, Jenny, Katy, and their mother Kelly [where the mother is an ex spouse and not mentioned previously next to the spouses name].

Etiquette wise, what is the proper protocol?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM

24,381 posts, read 21,233,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
Recently a friend's mother passed away. In her obituary, they listed her children's name with their spouses names following their names in parenthesis ie. Her children Joe (Julie) and Louis (Mary). The children who are single never married were listed, and the divorced children were listed without any mention of the ex spouses, which I understand.

However, I found it odd that the grandchildren were listed but not their mothers, and perhaps their mothers names could have been mentioned, to respect the grandchildren? For example, Suzy, Jenny, Katy, and their mother Kelly [where the mother is an ex spouse and not mentioned previously next to the spouses name].

That's up to whomever gave the obit information. Ex's generally aren't mentioned because they are no longer "part" of the family. I didn't mention my daughter's father in either my Mom's or my Dad's obits though I mentioned my daughter and her children.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:09 AM

215 posts, read 269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's up to whomever gave the obit information. Ex's generally aren't mentioned because they are no longer "part" of the family. I didn't mention my daughter's father in either my Mom's or my Dad's obits though I mentioned my daughter and her children.
If someone reads it later, wouldn't they wonder why their parent wasn't included? Because how are they really ever no longer part of the family as long as they are the child's parent? Did your daughter feel her father should have been mentioned? Or the father of her children mentioned?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 AM

24,381 posts, read 21,233,007 times
Quote:
If someone reads it later, wouldn't they wonder why their parent wasn't included? Because how are they really ever no longer part of the family as long as they are the child's parent? Did your daughter feel her father should have been mentioned? Or the father of her children mentioned?
Nope, she was fine with the way they were written. I was thinking blood at the time and since no one complained over the first one, I did the 2nd the same way. NBD.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM

19,505 posts, read 11,980,208 times
grandchildren are blood relatives; in-laws, ex or not, are not related.

locally, I've noticed friends being listed in obits. Now that I find weird.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 AM

6,684 posts, read 7,135,460 times
Maybe they were "friends". My grandfather passed away while dating a woman, whom he would have married but she didn't want to lose her widow's pension. I believe we listed her name in the obit, because they were in love and together for many years.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM

35,510 posts, read 64,776,237 times
Ex-family members are rarely mentioned in obituaries; it's up to the family.

Also, if the obituary is published in a newspaper at no charge, what's included in the obit is subject to the newspaper's policy. If you're paying for a death notice, you can include whoever you like.

Back when I was writing obits, the newspaper I worked for had a policy of blood relatives only. Try explaining that to a grieving mother who reads the obits only to discover that her son's fiancee has been left out of the obit.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM

20,789 posts, read 26,082,997 times
Quote:

That was correct. "Ex" relatives are not listed. Today in many families, what you propose,listing the former spouses, would be one long and overly complicated list. What if there are several ex wives? What about a baby born of an affair?

The focus is on the deceased and not on a former daughter "in-law".

Most rules of etiquette are just derived from common sense. The in-law relationship is though the spouse. When that has been legally dissolved through divorce, there is no relationship between the deceased and the ex-wife.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM

18,847 posts, read 33,848,487 times
I was married to my ex for 20 years. I often wonder why... They can leave me off his obit. I am fine with that.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,461,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Maybe they were "friends". My grandfather passed away while dating a woman, whom he would have married but she didn't want to lose her widow's pension. I believe we listed her name in the obit, because they were in love and together for many years.
I've seen those relationships listed as "companion" or "special friend." It becomes more common as partners in same sex relationships are recognized.

I don't know how far off this goes as a tangent .... as a genealogist, I'd like to commend detail in an obituary. As well as accuracy. Don't use the obit as a weapon against people you want to cut down.

In 100 years, family dysfunction will become aged gossip that descendants will likely roll their eyes about; family historians will *sigh* in aggravation.

I understand if the circumstances for leaving someone out were because of a criminal act or abuse and betrayal (most who are thorough researchers can usually ferret that sort of thing), but have a care if it is because of dislike or a snit. I have a situation with an uncle who married a woman who didn't like his biological kids. The feeling was heartily returned by my cousins. When Uncle died, his stepkids were listed as if they were his bio-kids, while the bio-kids were left off entirely. I included that obituary under his profile, but created an addendum, listing his biological children and explaining the genetic ties. It's not my responsibility to explain the family arguments, but I do want to make sure that the correct genetic connections are understood, years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning