Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

As our world becomes increasingly dependent on the internet for news, communication and even obituaries, Legacy allows obituaries now to be seen online much longer. Many funeral homes keep obits online too. However, I don't know if a message can be added after a certain period of time.

Has anyone here dealt with having a loved one's Obit on Legacy that you had no part of contributing to or writing? Are there any guidelines we should be aware with Legacy or any other site online?

Have you ever found yourself unexpectedly mentioned in a Legacy Obit? If so, is it ever appropriate to post a post with additional thanks to others involved caring for the one now gone? Sometimes the survivor(s) writing the Obit didn''t know names of care providers and others given the distance between where the deceased and survivor(s) lived from each other. Is it best to write nothing if you've been named in the Obit even if much is missing? Or should others who went beyond what most ever would, like specific doctors, remain unmentioned?

Anything else anyone can add about Legacy and what should or shouldn't be done?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Legacy. I'm glad it is available to remember our loved ones.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-06-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Question Time Until Obit is on Legacy?

Does anyone know how long it takes for Obits to be Uploaded to Legacy?

Thanks in advance for your help!

MSR

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
My husband's obit was only in our very local, small town newspaper, and it's not on Legacy at all.....I'm wondering if they have a deal with funeral homes or larger town newspapers? My husband's life celebration was at a funeral home, in the very small town where we lived (pop 400) outside a larger town (pop 5000) where he had his law practice, but there was no formal funeral. I wish Legacy had picked it up, but they didn't.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Check whichever paper you would expect it to be in to see if they have an online obituary column which is usually through Legacy. Some don't. If they have associated with Legacy, it will be within a day or two, depending on the time if day submitted.
You can also go to Legacy directly and see the list of newspapers they work with.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM

Default Please Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My husband's obit was only in our very local, small town newspaper, and it's not on Legacy at all.....I'm wondering if they have a deal with funeral homes or larger town newspapers? My husband's life celebration was at a funeral home, in the very small town where we lived (pop 400) outside a larger town (pop 5000) where he had his law practice, but there was no formal funeral. I wish Legacy had picked it up, but they didn't.
Marcy,

Is there anything you want to update here?

MSR

Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Check whichever paper you would expect it to be in to see if they have an online obituary column which is usually through Legacy. Some don't. If they have associated with Legacy, it will be within a day or two, depending on the time if day submitted.
You can also go to Legacy directly and see the list of newspapers they work with.
Thanks old_cold.

Obituaries | Death Notices | Newspaper Obituaries | Online Obituaries | Newspaper Death Notices | Online Death Notices

MSR

Old 07-12-2014, 06:57 PM

Default Closest Surviving Relative or Other?

Some unusual situations do have different solutions. Legacy becomes a sponsored site at some point. I don't know the length of time. Having it be sponsored means comments and candles etc. can be lit.

Does anyone know if anyone can sponsor a Legacy Obit or is it only the closest relative?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

MSR

Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 AM

I know that anyone can reinstate an expired guestbook, for $75.00 or so.....So, I guess I'd say yes?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Picks up Deaths From Around the World

If you are searching on Legacy, usually you can access from your local newspaper. Or you can go directly to Legacy.Com

If you are in the U.S. this contains more than U.S. deaths. So be sure you click the right country too.

MSR

Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 AM

I have found friends obits on Legacy. Especially old high school classmates. Our high school class has a FB page, and every so often (more often as we age), someone will post that they heard so-and-so passed away, and I'll go directly to Legacy, and sure enough, I'll find the obit. I also will print out obits of family members to fill in my genealogy page on ancestry.com and for my kids to learn who their relatives were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning