Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,330,366 times

Advertisements

Work was actually pretty good yesterday. I did have a problem getting my dogs fed because my neighbors were target practicing but really I couldn't complain because it was only 2pm and they know I feed my dogs between 3pm and 4pm so they didn't know. It was pretty bad though. It made me late to work but that was no problem since I was filling in for a girl and the girl just had to wait an extra 1/2 hour. I still ended up tossing most of the dogs food but they ate good this morning. Between the rain and the guns around here feeding time can be difficult for the dogs. BuBu has gotten more use to the guns but Bella falls apart. It's sad but I gave them several treats before I left and when I got home too. It was pretty slow after the Super Bowl started and we just basically did restocking. I found out why I woke up at 3am now--guess there was a house fire not to far from my road and I did hear all the sirens. Once awake I don't go back to sleep easily so today will be a long day. It's very cold with colder weather heading our way. Be happy to see spring!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM

48,173 posts, read 22,024,577 times
Hi cyn.............with my dogs.....missing a meal is probably just what the doctor ordered.....The beagle especially has weight issues. I do feed my dogs two meals around 8 or 9 and then around 5 in the afternoon. I dont think it would hurt any of them to skip a meal from time to time.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 AM

I know elston--mine are the same. Being Basset's they have a tendency to eat to much and we as their owners tend to kill them with love (food and treats). I just feel like if my critters all have a full tummy they are good but not always so as you mentioned. With my dogs short legs carrying all their body mass can be detrimental and cause many problems. BuBu has already had joint issues. But to deny them food is so hard for me. You already know I'd go without before they would!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM

218 posts, read 207,828 times
Just getting back, yesterday I got out to Walmart (not really thinkin Super Bowl) at about 3 PM. I had a house full of dogs. When I walked in I first wondered where are all the carts... in use is the answer. Got a few things and go out the express lane.

The two big dogs went home about 3 PM so back to just Jasper and me. Not looking forward to the snow showers, hope the weather folks have understated what's coming.

I am in a hurry up to sell my car to the family owning the dogs. They still help their daughter Chicago and I planned to sell them my low mileage AWD car. When they stopped to pick up the dogs they said the car in Chicago had a major engine failure now using a rental. I said I'll get the title out of my safe deposit box tomorrow.

I am clearly in the Paralysis stage of Bereavement. I have no energy, spirt or spirit to do almost everything ...the "desk" is full of mail that I know the general content of, think there is nothing past due, but I just can't seem to get myself up to sitting with the stack... better get going here, I do my own income tax.

I fear I may be using the above as an excuse for laziness. Or, just old age being the problem. I continue to reach out to others and have a friend living about 30 miles from here and we have been talking (email) about getting together for a drive into PA. I want to visit Cabela's (sporting outfitter if you don't recognize the name), she is looking for a retirement community OUTSIDE NJ. This state is totally nuts, and poorly managed at all levels of government. Emergency service and police seem to be good in contrast to my statement. But, I hope I get around to moving out of NJ before I die. NJ has inheritance tax that starts as such a low level (Feds give $5 Million I think) the heirs (I have two children and two grandchildren) lose a big bite even for the middle class... selling the house and whatever is left in the retirement savings.

Hum, seems I've departed from my uplift in my past post last Tuesday night.

Cyn, do you have sleeping pills? I have the generic of ambien and my Medicare Part D and Insurance covers the cost if I mail order.. and I do. My doctor gave me a new prescription for the slow release, should help one stay asleep, my major problem. My wife used them years ago and I recall the insurance didn't pay the full load, but the insurance I had paid more than half. Well, my insurance company called before filling: this is not covered by your insurance (Medicare being the decision maker) so a 90 day supply is $300. I said refill my old fully covered normal release. The slow release is almost $4 a pill, that's enough to keep me awake even if I can afford it. I mention all this for reverence, Cyn, I also have Trazadone (what my wife used) prescription, that is a fully covered anti-depressant and a sleeping aid. I think it doesn't help me much with either.

My upper for today was making the decision to help my friend out by getting my car in his hand quickly. His wife will drive I to Chicago (after a good mechanical checkout) for their daughter... bet she'll love the AWD.

Cyn, again, is it possible the store manager can get a high school strapping young man (or woman) to work when the heavy freight has to be handled. I have no experience at managing a store of any kind, and I understand it is almost impossible finding a high school student who wants to work, even for money. My idea is distorted by my experience of having to work in high school if I wanted close to wear, pay school expenses, have spending money... I did so well I purchased my first car just before my 16th birthday. My mother had to sign the papers, but I paid the cost and the cost of insurance... well you get the idea, that's why I have crazy ideas about high school students being willing and desiring work. I'd love the stocking and checking part of the job I had at Woolsworth. REMEMBER Wollsworth : ( sad story there, Walmat ate them, no I think that chain failed long before Walmart. That's why I ask even here "do you remember".

Good night, and if you wake up and can't get back to sleep, my advice (yea, I'm full of it tonight) turn the light on and read, I'm told something light, not a story that in itself is upsetting. I avoid such stuff myself, thus never go to movies, well almost never.

EDIT: Looking back I see how long my reply is - sorry about the Treatise - may make reading when one can't sleep.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 02-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Treatise

Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 AM

You and your posts are just fine Jerry! You let out what is bothering you and what better place then here? We care and many can relate. Don't fret about that wicked feeling of feeling lazy or just no energy---it's not age but it's very common with grief! I know!!
I am taking Whitey to get his bi-weekly shots today. Last night was bad as far as him not feeling very good and not eating much. I know the days are counting down for him sadly--it's tearing me apart so I am trying to enjoy every last bit of time we have together. As long as he appears okay with no pain we'll keep doing what we are doing. So far he does very well after his shots for about 10-14 days and then we have to go for another round. But since I stopped going to the Chiropractor I'm not spending that money on the doctor and the gas to get there so it's easier on the ole pocket book. Course now I'm dealing with dental issues--it's always something!
We have a very cold storm heading our way and I am not looking forward to it one bit. So I'll get as much done today as I can although I do have to work tomorrow night. I forgot to mention after work on Sunday I had to wait for 5 deer to cross the road. I drive very slowly at night knowing they are everywhere and there is never just one or two! They were majestic!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 AM

It's a beautiful but very cold morning here in NC. I work tonight and then tomorrow morning. These 2 days are hard on me but at least I am making some money and getting out. I miss my DH.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM

God bless you and your departed

Be careful an not overdue it. It is clear you employer needs you, but others and your animals do too. Your health comes first.

We may see temperatures below zero this weekend. Just before scheduled minor surgery. Pray we don't get any heavy snow the coming weekend. Cold is easy to deal with, deep snow can bring all to a stop.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM

48,173 posts, read 22,024,577 times
We are having cold weather also cyn......I went over to my garden yesterday and "cleaned up" a little; pulled some carrots and cut some herbs that I used already to season a turkey I was roasting. I am now thinking of spring and what to plant.....gardening is a good way to keep a future orientation.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:03 AM

Gardening----my ground is frozen elston but come spring perhaps I will once again get in touch with that part of me--still not to sure. Sadly there are not many things that interest me lately except of course my critters....hopefully with time some of those old interests will return! I think the cold weather and short days are very hard on many especially those dealing with any kind of depression be it grief or other kinds. But slowly and surely the days will get longer and the weather will warm up. Something to look forward to.
I pray you don't get much snow Jerry--even the cold is hard on me.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:21 AM

Barbara's vegetable and flower gardens are in decline. I rebuilt some of the protection barrier on the veg garden last spring, after her death. The lovely collection, many perennial, of flowers along our south facing side are all but lost. I will try this spring in an effort to better connect with my DW (guess that's the shorthand). A good job of weeding is the first step, but I am not sure what some of the new growth is. I'll have to wait for flowers to be sure on some. Guess, never too late to pull a weed.

I have a geothermal heat pump, most economical way to heat, so that softens one of the blows of cold weather, energy cost. I have to remember to run some water in the master bathroom, not used by me. Pipes come through unheated space over the garage.. behind wall insulation, I will check to be sure the insulation is in place. One of the benefits of typing here, reminding myself of things need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.