Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,353,983 times

Advertisements

Work was busy---lots of questions to answer but that is what we do to the best of our knowledge! For some reason there seemed to be a lot more then normal people with many questions about their animals and pet foods! We are also starting to get a lot of flea and tick questions....those are hard for me to answer since I do not like putting poison on my pets but in this area the flea and tick problems are bad. I still try to introduce people to the DE and more natural, safe products. It's a hard sell to people who have always just put on a product and gotten instant results like the more well known products do. It's what needs to be done sometimes when the problems get so bad!
We have some great, caring people posting here--thank you all!
I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 03-20-2017 at 05:22 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 04:53 AM

Good morning everyone!
I am going through some sad times with my neighbor and his ALS. It really brings back the memories...sigh...
Quiet here--as usual I hope that is a good sign.
Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 AM

48,271 posts, read 22,054,324 times
Cyn.......it must be very hard to have your neighbors going thru the same thing that you and your late husband went thru so recently. What a sad coincidence that ALS struck two families living next door to one another. I am so sorry for all of you.

We had to take our little beagle girl to the vet yesterday and they referred us to a vet hospital for ultrasound tests. They did xrays at our vets office and it shows enlarged spleen and liver. She is pretty much "asymptomatic".....except for swollen belly and weight gain (fluids). She really doesnt seem to be in any distress and is eating and drinking and eliminating...on her schedule. we will see what they discover and recommend.

Keeping Elko in my thoughts and prayers for his exam later this week.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,535,455 times
Thank you, elston! My exam is this afternoon. I'm laying low resting right now. I had a good study session yesterday and I'll do a little touch-up studying this morning and go take the Exam. Thank you so much for thinking of me!

cyn, pray incessantly now. This will bring difficult memories. Think of God's future blessings and know that He and all of us love and care for you so much!

Everyone have good Tuesdays!

Old 03-21-2017, 01:20 PM

You are in my prayers elko--may God be with you through this exam!
Elston, your poor baby beagle. If she is in no pain or distress I cannot see why you just don't let her be her for now! But as you said you will see what the vet says---praying for good news!
Elston and elko you have no idea how hard this has been with my neighbor having the same disease as my late husband. Trying to keep my head on and help the family out is very hard but this is about them--not me so I am doing my best and keeping my feelings inside for now except for here of course! My outlet! It's strange that my next door neighbor has ALS and is just about the same age my husband was--A rare disease indeed.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 PM

48,271 posts, read 22,054,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You are in my prayers elko--may God be with you through this exam!
Elston, your poor baby beagle. If she is in no pain or distress I cannot see why you just don't let her be her for now! But as you said you will see what the vet says---praying for good news!
Elston and elko you have no idea how hard this has been with my neighbor having the same disease as my late husband. Trying to keep my head on and help the family out is very hard but this is about them--not me so I am doing my best and keeping my feelings inside for now except for here of course! My outlet! It's strange that my next door neighbor has ALS and is just about the same age my husband was--A rare disease indeed.

cyn.........thats what I thought........lets wait....but the doctor at the Urgent Care Hospital didnt even want me to wait for an appointment in about a week. She said.......its up to you but if she were my pet and had an enlarged spleen and liver... I would bring her right in. So tomorrow we will take her in for the ultrasound.......and take it from there. She is in no distress. We took her into our vet because I was afraid she had a tumor because her tummy was so distended......and we had seen blood in her stool.....they did an xray and found the large spleen and liver...............and refered us to the urgent care facility......but made a point of saying ..... she is otherwise asymptomatic....but it would be good to find out whats going on.

Now I am worrying .... but what can I do. My partner (and she is really more his dog than mine) isnt worried....he is sure she will be fine.

cyn....did your husband and your neighbor contract the disease after moving in there? I am wondering if it could be an enviornmental related condition........if there is a higher than average incidence of ALS in the vacinity.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM

1,665 posts, read 982,117 times
I've been seeing this thread and been thinking about replying. And here goes...

I have experienced loss. Who hasn't? My biggest loss would be my children. Fortunately, they are alive. The mother and I had separated on very ugly terms. My wife (now) and I took her to court for me to pay child support, visitation, to BE in their lives. Went great for a few years. Until I got tired of playing her games on her terms. The mother. Long story short, I lost contact with my children. From every other weekend, going see them in school function and scouting, to zero. I descended to th lowest feelings imaginable that I ever went through. And I've been through the wringer...search and rescue in New Orleans after Katrina, suffer PTSD with what I've seen and done on our fire dept, I've seen misery. Depression was rock bottom. My wife, bless her, has been my anchor. Even she went through hell with me.

Thankfully, just recently my children are older now and began contacting me. Talk on phone, see them now and then when my boys are away from her. My daughter is in college now, living on campus. So, I take what I can get from them. They even said that nobody will stop them from contacting me. But years changed us. I'm afraid of being hurt again. But again, I take what I can get.

I've talked to a friend recently about love and forgiveness. He asked me if I ever thought of the day that my wife would leave. It struck home and we talked for hours about our lives. That night, while eating, I broke into tears and my wife asked me what was wrong. I told her of our conversation and what I thought. I just couldn't bear the thought of living without her. She has helped me with so much. How to live, love and love myself. It's going on 9 years of marriage. It has its good and very few bad times. I have found my life partner and always look forward to having time together.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,904,556 times
Welcome to our thread Ddhanks

Old 03-22-2017, 05:38 AM

Elston, like you I worry but you are so lucky to have your partner who keeps a positive attitude! I will keep your fur-baby beagle and you in my prayers! As far as the ALS..I wondered the same thing. It does seem like there are more cases here but that could be I am now seeing something I knew little about before it happened to us. It does seem like everyone I talk to knows someone who has or had ALS. Although my neighbor was in the Vietnam war and the VA said the agent orange seems to play a role in the ALS. Now I have learned, not sure how true it is but was told that the different poisons they use on the crops has similarities to the agent orange. There are several crops in this area. I can't imagine how that could be but one never knows but kinda scary!

Ddhanks, your post was so honest and heart felt! Bless your wife and I am so happy you have her. As far as your children, enjoy them now. I personally want to thank you for all the service you have done to help others. You are obviously a special person! This thread is a great place to talk and feel safe. We all care!

I forgot to mention the wicked storms here last night--hail, rain, wind and thunder and lightening...and lots of it.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 03-22-2017 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,535,455 times
I failed my exam again. Same exact score as last time. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.