Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 04:42 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!
Well I didn't get much done yesterday. It was a lazy day!! It does bring me down when that happens but I decided I really needed to stay home and not drive since I am trying to save some money so since I am going into town to church today I will do any shopping after that. I am disappointed with myself since I sure could have done some cleaning around the house. I did spend some extra time with my kitties and dogs and my cats have been going without much lovin' so I did some combing and just spent some time with them! They enjoyed it! When I took my trash out to the shed I saw a snake in there. It was not real big, maybe 18" long and black and white in color. I looked it up and think it was probably a rat snake and they keep poisonous snakes away. I just hope I am right and it wasn't a poisonous snake. When I went out for a second look it was sneaking out the bottom of the shed. I'll just be more aware now.
Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Good Day.....going to meeting later. I have been working on 'forgiveness' and will be adding 'gratitude' as I enter into the silence and 'wait on the lord'.

It is our pot luck after meeting. I am bringing "watergate salad" a retro recipe.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Good morning, all. Pretty quiet in here lately. I have been real busy at work. I have begun the new job in Wenatchee! I like my boss and co-workers and feel very blessed so far. I think it's going to be a great place to work. The Sleep Tech's want to do the best they can each and every sleep study, and my trainer is a 62 y/o woman who's been a Sleep Tech for 14 years at this place. Apparently they're striving to catch the Mayo Clinic in...praise from others, or something. I couldn't believe it when my mentor told me that. She said no joke, we're on our way to catching them! I don't know what kind of criteria they use, but apparently the numbers for my new hospital are very, very impressive.

2017 Subaru Impreza right rear quarter view 5-speed stick Color=Venetian Pearl Red

I have been eyeballing new Subaru's because of how impressively they handle driving in the snow. The one I want is the sedan, not the hatchback. This one is selling for $19,215 at AutoNation Subaru of Spokane, WA. I know new cars are expensive, but I keep hearing about how dangerous it is to drive Washington Highway 150 in Manson and Chelan, WA. This place is magical - I am truly blessed with this lodge we're renting. But it is in the eastern Washington mountains, and it's already getting cold. Subaru has designed their new Impreza on an all-new platform for 2017. Apparently their entire lineup will be using Impreza's underpinnings for their underpinnings. I would honestly feel better about driving those 58 miles every day if my car had either 4WD or AWD. All Subaru's have AWD. So I'm seriously considering buying a Subaru. I don't like to buy used cars - I don't want other people's problem children.

I love the design of these new Impreza's. This would be my last new car - I'm now 58. I plan on retiring at 62, but may go until age 65. I would finance the car with money down (probably $500-$1,500...the lower the better...our credit is very good) and 72 months to pay. The 2017 Subaru Impreza has bluetooth connectivity, a Subaru information screen that totally rocks - it tells you the car's tire's air pressure, onboard diagnostics, etc., on a constant basis. It has a rear view camera and...it has Android Auto. Oh my goodness. I don't know if you guys have heard of Android Auto or not, but it's fantastic! You can buy a USB cable and plug it in to your Impreza's USB port (at the rear end of your storage bin that's under your armrest) and then plug it into your Android phone. Then you turn on your Android Auto and go through about 10-12 steps that I can study on a YouTube video I have seen one time. Nowadays most of these computer applications are pretty well tried and tested by company betatesters for months before they're released to us...I would eagerly sync my Motorola Moto g 4 Android phone to my '17 Subaru Impreza's Android Auto right away. The reason I'm so excited about this is because, then you can access the app.'s on your phone. I can put Google Maps on there, YouTube with all of my favorite tunes I listen to on YouTube on this desktop all the time, Facebook, etc. That is just too cool for school!

Subie's are not cheap, but, I like to think that safe driving in snow and ice is pretty important stuff. I want to feel safe - my 2011 Kia Soul is a great little car, and if I do head over to Spokane and trade in for the Impreza, I will demand high trade-in value. If they don't give me at least $5,000 in trade for my car, I will just get up and walk away from negotiations. I have done this more than once, and it works. I like to negotiate with dealers. It's good for business to negotiate. If I don't get a good deal for myself, I'll drive away. But that won't solve my problem of driving while blind in the snow.

And I've been told by one of the people I work with who grew up in nearby Chelan that Highway 150 can get nasty in the winter. So I want a rig that has AWD. Having said this, I will still need to drive carefully, and, I may have to buy myself a set of snow tires for my new Subaru, too. So money will be spent. I'll try and just use the factory all-season radials. The 2017 Subaru Impreza weighs 2,974 lbs. So it's heavy, but that's average weight for a compact car. It gets 24mpg in town and 32mpg on the highway. I consider that acceptable ghastly mileage. I always refer to gasoline as ghastly, because it's cost is ghastly to us. Try paying $10.76 a gallon! That's what Norwegians pay for ghastly.

Enough about cars. I can talk your ear off about cars. I absolutely love cars and driving them. Oh, another thing. I love driving on Washington Highway 150! It's got plenty of hairpin turns that really test your driving skill - and the locals love to push it into the turns. I tell ya - driving the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas is the same way - but the people in Arkansas really push it! I kid you not. They are just right there on your tail pushing it because they want to make time, I guess. I had the 2011 Kia Soul almost up on two wheels when we took a short vacation and drove from our rental home in Dodge City, KS, to Hot Springs, AR. I love Hot Springs, AR, and I love living in Manson, WA!

I hope you are all doing the best you can for your situations - we're all facing something. Trust in the Lord for all things - He won't let you down. Everyone enjoy your Sunday's!

Last edited by elkotronics; 10-01-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I would like to know something , if you are alone ? how do you begin to move to another state ? I mean if something were to happen to my husband I would have to sell this house quickly and then move onto another state further south where I have family . what would be your first step ? I know sell the house as quickly as possible but what after that ? do you just sell all the furniture and try to get a furnished place where you are going ? move in with family for a while ? I had a friend ask me the other day and come to find out she is doing a study on all of this , something for her class work she is back in college . I told her I had no idea but I was going to put the question out on a public forum .

Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 AM

676 posts, read 721,483 times
Boy the loneliness is really getting to me. My husband died 4 months ago. I'm in a very remote area in Pennsylvania. I put this house on the market. I can't stay here. Just too lonely.

I have a condo in south Florida. Total opposite from here. Busy, busy, busy.

I have 4 more weeks,of PT (I had TKR surgery on August 14). Then I'm going to visit my son in nc until thanksgiving, and my sister in the Bronx until Christmas. Then I'll go to Florida in January. In the meantime I pray my pa house sells.

My plans keep me going. Just 4 more weeks of loneliness. I do go out. I joined the women's club, and go to water aerobics. But when I come back home, I'm alone. No Tony. Boy am I sad.

Thanks for letting me vent. God Bless.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Hey Marble cake you're saying what I have been saying for 3 years now. It really is bad! Good for you with plans...good luck!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Phonelady, I am not putting you on ignore but your post is so involved in reality. I have to really let this sink in before I say anything. Everyone is so different and every situation is also so different so it's a tough one! I have many thoughts but need to mull them over before posting!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:36 PM

phonelady......I don't know. It is complicated by individual circumstances. I will probably be survived by my spouse....he is healthier and younger than I....but if I were to be the survivor.......I would need to make some hard decisions...about winding down my expenses/lifestyle.....quickly. I don't want to get into personal stuff online. Altho my grown children are in the northeast....I would choose to stay here in Florida where the weather "suits my clothes". I think I would look for a manufactured home in an over 50 community....or a small apartment. I also have a son and his family that live near Charleston SC....but that is a very expensive area in which to live. I am back to my opening statement....I dont know.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 AM

For me, my family for the most part still live in Ca..and yes I miss them dearly but my son moved here and lives about an hour away although we don't get to visit much as he is grown with a family of his own and they are very busy! I do like the weather better in Ca but then I spent my entire life there until we moved here to retire so it is what I was use to. I own my home here and could never afford another home in Ca. besides I have my fur-babies and this is their home too! If I ever do move I will not even attempt to take my furniture or appliances with me. I'd find a place furnished or purchase new. It's to hard to get your old things to look right in a different home in my opinion and the cost and work is just not worth it for me. Moving in with family can be good but sometimes it backfires and creates problems so that would depend on your family and how close you all are. Something to possibly discuss with your family before the time comes. These are my personal thoughts on this matter. Hospice advised no big changes or moves in the first year after losing a spouse but I think a lot would depend on the circumstances.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 AM

Good Morning All.

Cyn you are wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.