Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

Oh Friend Elko. I am so sorry. My heart and prayers are with you and Mrs. E. I am sure Cotey knew how loved he was.

I had a similar incident (except for the horse pills) when my sweet Hannah was dying.

I am truly sorry for this nightmare posing as treatment.

Rest in Peace Cotey, you were (and are) loved.

Thank you, elston. I truly appreciate your love and support. I'm actually glad he went this morning at our house - I don't know if I would have followed up with any more "care" from that vet. I won't bring any other of our animals to his office for care. He's not our regular vet anyway, our regular one near our house was all booked up and couldn't take Cotey. He was terminally ill anyway, though.

I am beyond sorry for all of you elko! Rest in peace Cotey. We all cared! I feel your pain elko--

Thanks, cyn. I am heartbroken - he was hanging on for several months sick - he's been going downhill for months. 14 is a fairly long life for a dog, yes it is.

My wife called our regular vet. The vet's assistant was talking to her about death and dying with our animals. She said the other ones know "months ahead" when one of the animals in the pack is sick and dying. Don't know about that but who knows. They feel extra competitive at mealtime because they "don't see why that sick puppy's getting fed at all." I don't know - this information just might be true!

She also mentioned that with oxygen deficiencies the animal will not feel real pain after a while - the body blocks it out with it's response to it. Also have heard similar information like this before and it could be true or at least partly true.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I tend to believe what you were told--at least from what I have seen and learned. Animals have amazing instincts. That's how some are used to detect cancer in some people. In the wild there is often a tendency to not care for a weak animal--even a baby animal. They seem to know it won't make it. I have to believe what vet's assistant was telling you. Just my opinion elko! I am also glad Cotey got to be at home for his least bit of life. Still so very sad and sorry for all of you!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks, cyn. It's gonna be a tough night tonight. I am so sad still. We really loved that little sparkplug.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Thanks, cyn. It's gonna be a tough night tonight. I am so sad still. We really loved that little sparkplug.
So sorry, Elko. We’ve all been there, and it is so hard to bear, I know.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:58 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Good Night Elko.....thinking of you and your wife and sending my condolences....again.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 AM

Thanks, elston. I am at work now. I'm finding myself thinking about Cotey time and time again and getting sad. They really get under your skin eventually and they can really have you feeling like you've got a huge void in your life when they pass away.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:42 AM

That is true elko--I still cry when I talk about Bubba and Bella. They do become a big part of our lives. Just know we are here and we care!
Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 06-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Thank you, cyn. I am still really sad but the crying is slowing down. My wife and I are relieved that he's out of pain now. Thank you so much gentlearts. There was a lot of love that God packed in to that 20 lb. Pomeranian! It's living on past his passing, too!

Have good Thursday nights, everyone!

Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 AM

I agree elko! You were blessed to have such a sweet fur-baby, just as he was blessed to have your family as his!
Had a wicked storm Wed, night here--actually scared me. But we did okay. Only one problem and that was my outdoor kitty's feeding station was broken down. So I did my best to repair it yesterday before I went to work in the early morning.
I work tonight and may have 4 days again since our new worker does not appear to plan on staying. I think some people just do not realize how much work is involved. Yesterday I stocked a full cart of canned foods and another 2 of treats and dry food. I was pretty sore and tired when I got home. With the early morning repairs and then work well it wore me out! I think the heat doesn't help! Thank God my a/c is up and going now! I just want to go outside but the heat makes that difficult. It is summer so it is what it is.
Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:16 PM

I agree elko! You were blessed to have such a sweet fur-baby, just as he was blessed to have your family as his!

Cotey's seems to be the worst one, though our first Pomeranian, Abbey, our rescue puppy who was 3 years old when we got her in 1997, was also a really tough loss for my wife and I. She was our first puppy - before that all we ever had for animals was our beautiful cat Tabitha. We bought her with some of my Boeing X-Mas bonus money around X-Mas time in 1991. So there were 6 years in which Tabitha and our one kid, our son, were our life.

Ever since we got Abbey (she came from a divorce breakup home in Monroe, WA, northeast of Seattle), we have fallen in love with the Pomeranian breed. She quickly bonded to Dad and we were inseparable. When she died from CHF in late June of 2004, I broke to pieces. We drove out to Missouri Conservation Society forested land southwest of St.Louis and I dug a hole for her and buried her. We had our cat, Tabitha, and another Pomeranian we bought in 1999 in Mt.Vernon, WA, Rocky, left to care for at that time. Rocky was only 6 pounds. So I longed for another Pom, because Rocky bonded to my wife so strongly that I knew I wanted myself another Pomeranian. I searched the Nickel Want-Ads while on break from Respiratory Therapy Clinicals in Jefferson City, MO, and found an ad for a Pomeranian for sale in a tiny town just south of Jefferson City. We went and visited the family selling him and bought him. This was in August of 2004 - I was heartbroken then, also, because my Dad died in August of 2004. I was homesick for Washington state and feeling out of place in mid-Missouri. Sort of insecure. So buying Cotey was an emotional pickup for both of us. We now had 2 dogs and two cats,(the two rescue cats we got at the Willcox, AZ, pound in December of 2006) and it stayed this way until I bought Meggy May, our Chow Chow, in June of 2008. She was only 6 weeks old when we picked her up from her south Tucson, AZ, breeder. What an absolute doll. Make it 3 dogs and 2 cats.

Rocky, our 2nd Pom, passed away from heart complications at the age of 10 years old in late December of 2009. I buried him in the back yard of our Willcox, AZ, home. Fast forward to Cotey's passing and we're now at one 10 year old dog and two 11 year old cats. All are doing fine and they'll be filled with all of our attention. I always have thought that we'd pick up another animal as I near retirement age. Now I'm starting to doubt it, but will reserve that decision for later and see what happens. The Mrs. is thinking we're done, we'll care for these 3 that we have and just stop acquiring animals, and not get any more to continue the cycle of life. We'll see how that works out.

I'm just reliving some of the animal lives that have touched us - it's extremely hard, as most all of you know, to let them go. I feel tears welling up often since Cotey passed away early Tuesday morning. God made a beautiful, loyal, fun-loving dog when he made Cotey.

RIP Cotey You were always loved and we still love you, baby

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-29-2018 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.