Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I took a little walk to the corner with my walker yesterday......it was really great.

gentlearts....I am just at 3 1/2 weeks since surgery.
Yes, you are at the stage where you wonder why you did it. Pretty soon, the walker will get to be a pain, so you’ll go to a cane. After awhile, you keep forgetting where you left the cane and you use it less and less. If your doc and the PT folks think you’re doing well, then you are. I am by no means moving fast, but the new knee doesn’t hurt at all anymore. I’m still not ready to think about doing knee#2 very soon.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
My DH reminds me of how much better I am since the surgery. He has been steady and matter of fact in his support and help....but when I question whether I would have done it again.....he strongly supports the decision and points out the improvement already. (There are times when I use the cane in the house already. ) But couldnt think about doing another operation just now. The hips are candidates for surgery. Gentlearts, are you still taking medicine for pain and do you still elevate and use ice on the knee?

I miss cyn and hope that her daughter is doing better and they are having some good Mother/Daughter time together.

Last edited by elston; 10-31-2018 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
My DH reminds me of how much better I am since the surgery. He has been steady and matter of fact in his support and help....but when I question whether I would have done it again.....he strongly supports the decision and points out the improvement already. (There are times when I use the cane in the house already. ) But couldnt think about doing another operation just now. The hips are candidates for surgery. Gentlearts, are you still taking medicine for pain and do you still elevate and use ice on the knee?

I miss cyn and hope that her daughter is doing better and they are having some good Mother/Daughter time together.
No, I gave up the ice and elevating a few weeks back...when all the swelling was gone and the incision had healed. They still give me ice for 5 minutes after PT. I don’t remember when I got off the hard drugs, but I still take 2 tramodol and a Celebrex in the morning for my bad old knee, not the new one. I still battle weakness and unsteadiness, but there’s no pain. For me, it’s a bit hard to evaluate my new knee because I have other foot and old knee issues.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I forgot you had a new knee too, gentlearts. Glad to hear you are doing well also. That is a bummer not being able to evaluate because of the other bum knee. I guess it's doing okay because you favor the bum one, yes? The new one is doing its job with no pain....win!

I have to go have the scan cyn did for her lungs in 11 days. Yuck. Not yuck to the test, yuck at the maybe. Sigh, these doctors can't understand my "bad attitude" of not caring if I die. I am perfectly happy not knowing anything. I only have insurance for "just in case" of accident, heart attack, stroke and my MS. I have a DNR in place. I refuse to have a colonoscopy. I don't want to know. I will see if push comes to shove with my lungs. If I REALLY don't care if I die.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:31 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:

Elston, I doubt enough time has passed since your surgery, and the pain, while better, probably hasn't diminished to the point where you'd even be able to think rationally about subjecting your other knee to the insult, at least not yet. But it'll come, and it's a good thing that your DH is there to point out your improvement, it's hard to see that yourself when it's you that's hurting.

A friend of ours was telling us that his mother has scheduled knee replacement surgery, several weeks from now for one knee, and about 3 weeks or so after that for the second knee- I'm still scratching my head over that one as it seems three weeks apart for both knee replacements is a bit soon and likely to leave someone without a leg to stand on, so to speak. Is your other knee needing replacing too?

As for the hip surgery, I hear the recovery from that is not nearly as painful as knee replacements. Another friend here was climbing a ladder to check something out on her roof ( from the ladder, she wasn't walking around on the roof), about 3 weeks or so after her hip replacement surgery, and just about to resume her bicycle riding at that point.

Also keeping Cyn in thoughts and prayers here too, and hoping her visit to her loved ones in CA will bring her encouragement and hope of beating this thing.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Elston, I doubt enough time has passed since your surgery, and the pain, while better, probably hasn't diminished to the point where you'd even be able to think rationally about subjecting your other knee to the insult, at least not yet. But it'll come, and it's a good thing that your DH is there to point out your improvement, it's hard to see that yourself when it's you that's hurting.

A friend of ours was telling us that his mother has scheduled knee replacement surgery, several weeks from now for one knee, and about 3 weeks or so after that for the second knee- I'm still scratching my head over that one as it seems three weeks apart for both knee replacements is a bit soon and likely to leave someone without a leg to stand on, so to speak. Is your other knee needing replacing too?

As for the hip surgery, I hear the recovery from that is not nearly as painful as knee replacements. Another friend here was climbing a ladder to check something out on her roof ( from the ladder, she wasn't walking around on the roof), about 3 weeks or so after her hip replacement surgery, and just about to resume her bicycle riding at that point.

Also keeping Cyn in thoughts and prayers here too, and hoping her visit to her loved ones in CA will bring her encouragement and hope of beating this thing.
My friend just had a hip replacement and her PT was much shorter than mine for my knee. The same person has had a knee replacement and she says the recovery is longer for knees.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 PM

The doctor one time said, "your other knee isnt that great either" but didnt suggest surgery and I am not going that way. I think in the future I may be a candidate for hip surgery and I would consider that.....if need be.

I have a friend who said she had both knees replaced with just about three weeks in between the surgeries. She said her doctor was a big believer in narcotic cocktails....so she didnt have much if any pain. I think they are more conservative about opioids now.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, I gave up the ice and elevating a few weeks back...when all the swelling was gone and the incision had healed. They still give me ice for 5 minutes after PT. I don’t remember when I got off the hard drugs, but I still take 2 tramodol and a Celebrex in the morning for my bad old knee, not the new one. I still battle weakness and unsteadiness, but there’s no pain. For me, it’s a bit hard to evaluate my new knee because I have other foot and old knee issues.
I get silly and wondered to myself.....how do you keep the surgery knee from stealing the bad old knee's tramadol and Celebrex.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I get silly and wondered to myself.....how do you keep the surgery knee from stealing the bad old knee's tramadol and Celebrex.
I know, right? How do pain killers know where to go?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? How do pain killers know where to go?

Perhaps it is like the old adage....."the squeeky wheel gets the grease" or then again..."a rising tide lifts all boats."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.