Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What a confusing title. Do you put the food in the coffin? Or leave it along side the tomb like the ancient Egyptians.
If people are actually going to start leaving food in the cemeteries, I'm going to start hanging out there for snack purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,570,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What a confusing title. Do you put the food in the coffin? Or leave it along side the tomb like the ancient Egyptians.
made ya look I guess

Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,473,102 times
when my dad died when I was young my neighbor a few doors up who opens a delli sent a whole spread without asking. Thank god he did not send flowers and a card I had enough of that and no food

Old 10-17-2014, 03:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,648,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
made ya look I guess
Well yes. Yes, it did, lol. I was wondering what altar or gravesite catered, as it were, to having food as part of the cemetery decor.

Jokes aside . . . here is one of the popular recipes "down South" where I live . . . and yes, we do still send food to the relatives who are gathered for the funeral.

These are actually referred to as "funeral sandwiches" (or funeral sammiches, lol).

Funeral Sandwiches: Nothing To Mourn About Here! - Clever Housewife

Old 10-17-2014, 03:09 PM

12,138 posts, read 8,529,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well yes. Yes, it did, lol. I was wondering what altar or gravesite catered, as it were, to having food as part of the cemetery decor.

Jokes aside . . . here is one of the popular recipes "down South" where I live . . . and yes, we do still send food to the relatives who are gathered for the funeral.

These are actually referred to as "funeral sandwiches" (or funeral sammiches, lol).

Funeral Sandwiches: Nothing To Mourn About Here! - Clever Housewife
Oh sure, ham.

Why am I not surprised?

They look luscious.

The nice thing about sandwiches or bars is that I've noticed in our own family people think they don't feel hungry while they are grieving. But if you have "carry around" food available people will help themselves if they see it available.

But I can understand a big Italian family sitting down to eat a feast. Isn't food related to nearly everything in an Italian family?

Feeding people is a good way to say, "We are glad you are still here and want you to stick around a few more years."

Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,167,553 times
I know we still do and our church does as well . We were raised as kids to know this is the thing you do after a loved one dies or a neighbor dies . I always try and send a deli plate with cold cuts , veggies and bread and some mayo and mustard . Then I make a vase of flowers from my garden and a card .

Old 10-17-2014, 05:53 PM

4,549 posts, read 12,443,624 times
Not that a post on City Data can change a long established custom, but if you know someone who has a relative that is ill and/or dying, particularly at home, it is actually a far greater benefit to send over food in the days before death. Those are the days when the time to cook is in shortest supply, and giving thought to food is the most difficult.

So if you find yourself knowing about a situation like that, think about providing food for a family that is keeping a death vigil.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,570,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Not that a post on City Data can change a long established custom, but if you know someone who has a relative that is ill and/or dying, particularly at home, it is actually a far greater benefit to send over food in the days before death. Those are the days when the time to cook is in shortest supply, and giving thought to food is the most difficult.

So if you find yourself knowing about a situation like that, think about providing food for a family that is keeping a death vigil.
That is very true! These are most stressful times.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,116,162 times
Yes,we do in my area still....I think it's a part of respecting the family and we'll do it as long as we can

Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,470,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
It did get funny though as the wake approached someone asked us what we needed and we were just joking as we said wine and chocolate. (We were getting punchy) and so many people left wine and bags of M&M's.
I love it! Those are good people.

When my spouse died, the woman next door came over with two bottles of wine, a bottle of raspberry vodka, and a bottle of coconut rum. My other neighbors gave us deli trays, rolls, and salads. I was so incredibly grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Not that a post on City Data can change a long established custom, but if you know someone who has a relative that is ill and/or dying, particularly at home, it is actually a far greater benefit to send over food in the days before death.
That's good too - you don't feel like cooking, but you have to eat something. Anything that can be heated up in the oven or in the microwave is so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning