Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,609 times

Advertisements

I do not believe this is done anymore or as much as it was. It is a wonderful thing to do.

My husband thought it was funny I sent over a card and a dozen doughnuts to my neighbor that had died. He said I was suppose to send flowers lol. There were a bunch of family over there and I am sure they appreciated the treat, or I hoped they did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
First, I am sorry about the death of your neighbor. It is hard to lose someone you have lived near -- they become part of your world. Yes, as far as I know, it is still appropriate to take food to the family of a deceased person!! One thing that is also popular in this time of busy working folks, is to arrange to have some food delivered to the home, perhaps Chinese food sent to the relative's home for the evening after the funeral. Or if you know there will be a long wake, go ahead and order a couple of pizzas to be delivered to the "family lounge" at the funeral home. People do this all the time!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Yes, they do, and it's a custom that I hope never dies out. It seems like such a little thing, but it is a huge relief to not have to wonder how you're going to feed your family when so much else is going on.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
I do not believe this is done anymore or as much as it was. It is a wonderful thing to do.

My husband thought it was funny I sent over a card and a dozen doughnuts to my neighbor that had died. He said I was suppose to send flowers lol. There were a bunch of family over there and I am sure they appreciated the treat, or I hoped they did
YES! And not so much homemade, but maybe something from the deli or bakery.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
OK, the title threw me off - it sounds like making food for someone deceased. As to making/taking food over to the FAMILY of someone deceased, of course that is usually welcomed.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,403 times
I don't know about all parts of the USA, but here in southwest Oklahoma it's almost always done. The deceased's church, social club, friends, neighbors, etc. send food to the family because it gives the family one less thing to think about at such a stressful time. For someone I know who has a death in the family, I send either food, gift cards for food purchases, or help out the organization that is in charge of the family meal before or after the funeral.

When my mother-in-law died, we had so much food prepared for the family that we didn't have to cook for days. She was a lifetime member of her church, and the people of the church even prepared a noon meal for the family before the funeral. When my brother died in 2012, his wife's employer provided a family meal at a local restaurant for our entire family after his funeral service.

Around here, it's just a nice thing to do for others experiencing a sad time.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,609 times
Deseased loved ones deceased

Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OK, the title threw me off - it sounds like making food for someone deceased. As to making/taking food over to the FAMILY of someone deceased, of course that is usually welcomed.
LMAO, same here. It made me click on the thread. I pictured someone laying food on a casket or a grave and wondered if people actually did that.

People I know always bring or send food to a family that has lost someone. People did it for us when my father died and my brother died.

Just recently a church member died and we all made food for the lunch after the funeral and sent the leftovers home with the family.

This is in New Jersey (someone mentioned it being a custom in OK). I imagine this happens everywhere, though.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Ham. Down home (So. MN/ No. IA) it's ham sandwiches, sliced ham, ham and scalloped potatoes. DH and I call the latter "funeral food." It's most appreciated when someone breaks the mold and actually makes something other than a ham dish.

My go-to dishes are a pan of bars or a gallon container of hamburger noodle casserole.

As regards the deceased himself I think some Asian, and probably other, cultures do that also.

My next door neighbor and I like to visit cemetaries in the area for their historical value and earlier this fall we visited one where someone had left a jar of pickled artichokes on the grave of a loved one!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post

I took food over when our neighbors Mother crossed over, they had other family in town, were busy with arrangements, were busy trying to contain his Father and everything was just in complete chaos.

I fixed them breakfast every morning for a week and supper at least 4 times that week as well.

Then 3 months later did it all over again because his Father passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning