Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 AM

30 posts, read 59,082 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for your loss.

I think what you're feeling sounds very normal. I would imagine that as you have grown and maybe have had experiences that we think of our moms being part of (i.e. graduations, weddings, children, new jobs, etc.) the loss of that relationship is hitting you hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,684 times
I think it is very normal to grieve years later. I was the exact same way when my grandma who more or less raised me passed away in 2003. I passed out when I found out she died, I could not cry at all at the funeral, it was so very hard to explain to anyone, now it seems 13 years later that it gets harder as time goes on, she was my heart and I feel it is broken in half, I still have dreams about her when I wake up I cry hysterically. Everyone grieves in different ways, I hope it gets better for you, but to answer your question I think a lot of people are like that actually. I think its a way that our brain responds to death, it would be too much for us to grasp it all at once, so little by little we grieve more and more.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
Very normal to grieve years later. Only time it becomes a problem when grief overwhelms you years after the fact. It doesn't sound like that in your situation,OP.

My mother passed away 6 years ago. I still miss her, and probably always will. But it not an all encompassing pain like I felt when it initially happened.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
My dad died 20 years ago. I still miss him and cry if I think about him too long.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
My mom passed away 11 years ago and I didn't cry when she died. I was 18 years old and she was only 35 when she died.Now years later it just hit me that she is really gone. Sometimes I still hope that its all a dream and I am going to wake up. Is it normal to grieve years later?
Constantly 24/7? Probably not. However I still miss my Dad even though he has been gone since 1978. I can't say that I am really sad when I think about him because I always remember him in a positive way. I was a grown man when Dad when to heaven and I am now 14 years older than he was when he passed away.

Remember the good times you had together and she will always be with you.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I was caring for my grandmother, who was 91, when my mother was laid up after surgery. Had to make her meals, bring her clothing, etc.

One day I mentioned that I liked to make salmon cakes out of canned salmon. My grandmother's eyes lit up and and she said, "Could you make those for me for lunch today? My mother used to make that for us kids every Saturday!"

My grandmother was 20 years old when her mother died of a stroke in the 8th month of her 8th pregnancy. 71 years later, she was remembering what her mom made her for Saturday lunch as a kid, and still missing her.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyKnight View Post
I am so sorry for your loss.

I think what you're feeling sounds very normal. I would imagine that as you have grown and maybe have had experiences that we think of our moms being part of (i.e. graduations, weddings, children, new jobs, etc.) the loss of that relationship is hitting you hard.

^^^^^

Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 PM

840 posts, read 3,468,287 times
Dr. Anthony Komaroff, Harvard Medical School, stated that even after 51 years the anniversary of his dad’s death is a sad day.

https://simpleactofkindness.wordpres...es-one-grieve/

Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie
My mom passed away 11 years ago and I didn't cry when she died. I was 18 years old and she was only 35 when she died.Now years later it just hit me that she is really gone. Sometimes I still hope that its all a dream and I am going to wake up. Is it normal to grieve years later?
Love knows no boundaries... least of all time.

My firstborn son died almost forty years ago and the wrong Pampers commercial can still reduce me to tears from time to time - and I had nine kids. Feelings don't have brains, Annie, and the heart wants what the heart wants. You only get one mum.

Much love to you.

Mahrie.

P.S. I haven't been online much this week, as my brother died on Sunday, and I feel as if I need another few days before resuming socializing again, but your post... touched my heart.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM

652 posts, read 874,618 times
Perhaps you should light a candle each year on the anniversary of your dead mother. Often times lighting a fire along with candle with a symbolic burning helps cleanse the spirit world and purifies your own soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning