Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
My husband lost his life on Thanksgiving at MDAnderson in Houston.

He suffered from cll, a chronic leukemia and was there to get a bone marrow transplant, for which he had a perfect ten match in his brother.

He did well with the chemo and we were stunned when they postponed the transplant because an underlying lymphoma reared it's ugly head and was not responding to the chemo.

After some discussion he decided he was going to fight like hell anyway, and he did.
A few weeks into the fight I was called away for two weeks, I spoke with every dr and nurse who I saw for two solid weeks before ia greed to leave, every last person assured me he was doing well and I should go.

Meanwhile, dh had an ostomy bag for urine, from bladder cancer many years ago.
He changed his bag himself every couple of days, though I was concerned enough about it being a possible source of infection so I showed every staff member how to change it, made sure every dr and nurse practitioner and assistant knew it needed to be changed every two days, etc etc.

So guess what? Dh became ill with a much more serious infection while I was gone, he was drifting in and out of consciousnous and NO ONE changed the bag while I was gone.
( I know this because the first thing I did was look at the bag and it was full of floating tissue--gross.
I also asked a nurse to go check when it had last been changed and when she returned she said there wasn't ANY mention of the bag AT ALL in his chart!)
she got very upset when I asked about that and stammered that maybe the staff didn't always note those types of things--um NO!)

He died three weeks later from kidney failure brought about by a massive UTI--and the death certificate says this too.

I called a few lawyers and was told that since MDAnderson is owned by the state of texas I basically wont ever win if I sue for wrongful death or whatever the term is.
I struggle between opposing thoughts here---it was fate and he was going to die no matter what I did or didn't do.

OR MDAnderson ****ed up mightily and caused his death---though both lawyers said with his age and recurring leukemia I have no case anyway.
I counter with if that is true why were they continuing with chemo? if he really had no chance why torture him and not just send him to hospice?

I cant believe that we went to the premier oncology hospital in the USA (number one ranking this year iirc) and such a major screwup happened.

My poor love.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks, and would you pursue legal action or walk away?
He was going to die from cancer if something else didn't kill him first. At least he's out of pain now. I would drop it; no attorney worth their salt would take this case on, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Suz, I'm very sorry for your loss and know you are grieving deeply.

But if you've talked to a couple of reputable personal injury attorneys and they've declined to take the case, it most likely means that you won't prevail on the issue of liability and even if you do, that you won't be able to collect a judgment. PI lawyers never turn down a potentially profitable case.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
Suz,

I feel your pain and justifiable anger due to the hospital's ignorance and not paying attention to the facts you presented to them. You left in good conscious knowing all loopholes would be covered. They assured you he would be fine.

I don't agree with others that mentioned your husband was going to die no matter what but we don't have a crystal ball, he did not get a chance to fight. I find it ironic that most states in the union don't honor people dying with dignity and taking their own life but they will say, "he was ill and he would have died anyway" What kind of sick statement is that? Wow, what a slap in the face. If he was going to dye anyway why would they pursue chemo and operations? Negligent care is unacceptable, a hospital is responsible for peoples health.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Nameste,
Deb

Old 02-29-2016, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 835 times
I need a attorney because md Anderson gave my wife a drug and killed her and they will not give me the medical records and everyone is afraid of them

Old 03-02-2016, 01:58 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,698 times
So sorry for your loss. My mom was literally killed by doctors' neglect, 18 years ago, I still shake with rage when I think about it.
If you can find a lawyer who will examine the evidence that you have, and will agree to work on commission basis, go for it. Such lawyer will agree to work on the case only if evidence is very sound, and if he feels he can win. Even if the commission will be 90%, does it matter? No, I feel/ But you will be able to save other people's lives. And yes, it should be out-of-state lawyer. I was directly told by a doctor that we won't give me a professional conclusion about other doctor's work "because we all live and work here" and he advised me to send medical materials to out of state professionals.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:32 PM

711 posts, read 933,503 times
Default To the OP

I have also had an experience with M.D. Anderson. I am now a widower going on 4 yrs. My true events are not any better pertaining to this hospital. There is a reason that oncologists and their staffs in many other parts of the country claim they cannot obtain certain meds. for drug trials but refer their consenting patients to M.D. Anderson instead. They claim the meds. can't be shipped to other hospitals and the patient has to go at their expense and inconvenience to Houston to participate.

My experience is too long and disgusting to relate to here, but if you are interested Sue a direct message will be in order.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
I would not let it go if it were me.

I would find someone to take to court, whether it's the hospital, the doctor in charge, the nursing supervisor on days, and the aide who cared for him. I would not be happy just saying, oh well, he was going to die anyway.

My father died in the VA hospital and we were too grief stricken to do any research, but I know, for certain, his care was awful and I wish, how I wish, I had done something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning