Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,821,369 times

Advertisements

Buy yourself some flowers Cat and display them in a beautiful place in your new home. Buy a vase with color to remind you to remember this day every year and fill it with flowers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,546,603 times
I lost my mom in 2006 and I miss her so much. Today, my phone was littered with perfunctory group texts to and from cousins, sister, friends, son, daughter in law and I responded in kind to "play nice", but all I was thinking the entire time was:

SHADDAP about it already. It's just some made up holiday by some random person/s. ugh.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 PM

510 posts, read 718,780 times
I had dreaded Mother's Day since my mom died in November. But I finally found a different way to look at it. I had a mother who loved me very much. No one can take that away, even though she's not here anymore.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 AM

5,861 posts, read 5,316,908 times
Thanks, everyone. I feel much better today.

Cat

Old 05-11-2015, 03:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,128,670 times
Cat,

I'm writing to you today because I avoid Mother's Day somewhat. Those of us that were blessed to have had great Moms seem to dread Mother's Day. I remember when I was young and working and everybody would be talking about their Moms and what they were doing to honor them for Mother's Day. It bothered me so much in the beginning because I was the only one at work that my Mom had passed and I missed her terribly as you do.

It's been 26 years since my Mom died and I was almost in tears at the store the other day as the cashier told me what she and her daughter were doing for Mother's Day. It will lessen some over time, but you'll still have years that'll be worse than others.

It's over now and you can breathe a little easier today and hope that maybe next year will be just a tad easier.

I wish you healing and am happy that you're feeling better today.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,595,399 times
This Mother's Day was bittersweet for me, as well. Not only do I miss my mom, it would also have been my dad's 93rd birthday. Although they both died 26 years ago, I still think of them everyday. This isn't the first time May 10th has been Mother's Day and my dad's birthday, but when it happens, it's a double whammy. I had a good day, though. My son came over and celebrated Mother's Day with me, and made us my husband's "world famous" burritos. He's the only one who can make them like his dad did. My daughter sent flowers, and called. We had a nice talk, so all in all, a nice day.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:42 PM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
I actually feel a bit guilty because my Mother's Day wasn't completely ruined. Mom died 17 months ago, so this is my second year without her. The first year was pretty bad. We spoke weekly and often daily. I did some of her banking and paperwork. When she died, there was no one and nothing to fill that hole.

My son stepped up to the plate this year and gave me a funny card... and took me for a drive and a bite to eat on both Sunday and Monday.

Flowers? You never seem to get them when you want them, but they're always appreciated. No one has given me flowers in a long time.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,387,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Flowers? You never seem to get them when you want them, but they're always appreciated. No one has given me flowers in a long time.
Here you go Gerania:

May these beauties put a smile on your face.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,257,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Here you go Gerania:

May these beauties put a smile on your face.
How sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning