Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM

576 posts, read 824,789 times

Advertisements

My parents got divorced when me and my sister was 3 years old and we got raised by our grand parents( my Dads Parents). My Dad got remarried and he had a daughter with his new wife. Then he decided to leave the Country to start a new life here in Canada.

After few years, he immigrated us to come here from Africa with my step mom, step sister and my real sister. Mom stayed back home but we kept in touch with her.

The communication we had with her was through my dad around that time . We would write a letter to her , give it to my Dad then he would mail it. We stayed in touch by writing back and forth with her.

I don`t know why but my sister and I got caught up with things here and we just stopped writing to her

Then I recalled her receiving another letter from her asking why we stopped we stopped writing to her ,........ why we were doing this to her and that she misses our love .My sister and I were going to respond but we didn't end up responding. I don't why me and my sister did this.We just felt indifferent at that time. I feel so terrible

sometime later, I recall my Dad telling us that my mom had sent a letter telling him that she is not feeling well and that she wants our pictures to see how much we have grown .It had been few years since we left the Country

She also wrote the number for us to call where she was staying with my aunt back home. We asked my Dad to take the photos of us but he never followed through with it.

Mind you I was 15 and my sister 14without jobs and we were still getting used to a new country. The system here is totally different from back home. We didn't know were to go about to get cameras for pictures. Everything we did and every communication we had was through my Dad who didn't seem to care that much at that time.

We never follow through with all that.Then after sometime I recall my step mom came to our room and ask if we have heard that our mom is seriously ill. My sister and I just nodded and said No. She looked at us surprised and she was like "What you don't keep in touch her ?Well one day you going to hear that she is dead since you don't have time to talk to her while she is still alive"! these was her ecxact words

My step mom started nagging my Dad to go and buy a long distance card so we can talk to my mom from that point.

My Dad finally complied and went to buy a long distance card . The next morning my step mom dialed the number for us to connect where my mom was staying .She was going to pass the phone to us to talk to her .

She asked to speak to my mom but instead of passing the phone to us, she stayed on the phone silent and exchanged several words with whoever picked the phone then she said okay and hung up the phone.

From that moment I know that something wasn't right. She told us that she was informed that my mom had passed away few months ealier . It was too late

Apparantely,my mom got ill around the time we lost touch with her and she left the city where she was staying for work and went back to her Moms village because she got seriously ill . She died there few months later ,which is were she got buried.

I felt numb but I didn't cry or fell apart ......I didn't feel any emotions..I just tried going on with my life.I don't if I was just in denial or if it was too much to process it at once at the time.I was 17 at that time.

My Dad admitted that my mom had sent a letter few moths prior telling him that she is not feeling well and she was afraid that she is wasn't going to make it.......telling my Dad to take care of us if she doesn't make it

Years later my moms brother ,my uncle found me and my sister on Face book and we reconnected. I hadn't seen him since I was 5 back home.

We caught up and I asked him what had really happened with our mom and how she died. He told us that our mom tried desperately to get hold of us on her last days and that her wish was to talk to us before she passed away.

She kept pushing for my uncle to find us because she really wanted to talk to us since she knew she was dying. At some point he googled my Dads name trying to locate us to no avail because mom got desperate and frantic to get hold us.

From what my uncle said, she knew that she was dying because she kept saying things like ,"I am going to die and I will never see my kids again"

She kept telling uncle to find us over and over because she really really wanted to talk to us before she died on her last days. I am actually tearing up typing this. Her uncle from her Dad side came looking for us at my Grand parents house when she only had few days to live but he didn't know that we had left the country

To this day, we don't know what killed her. My other Uncle told us that she just got sick with flu like symptoms and then boom she was gone in 2 weeks. However, my aunt told us that she had cancer in her uterus. My mom was only 35 when so the last thing we thought was her life could disappear and we would lose her anytime.She had me and my sister when she was a teenager which explains why she was still a young mom when we were teenagers by the time

My Grandmother, her mom who is still alive today told me that someone had cancer in her colon and she was also poisoned where she was staying .We don't know for sure what really killed her.

Now 13 years later, I now reliazed that I haven't properly grieved her death expect few occasions when I would burst into tears when I think about her or come across pictures of her that my uncle send us

Lately, I have been thinking about her allot and wishing if she was still alive so I could talk to her ,now that we have access to a computer ,phone and discovered face book, skype etc unlike back then when we were younger living with my Dad and everything was through him ....... we didn't have access to these devices

I have been bursting into tears more frequently especially when I am alone at home.I also feel guilty because I never got to say good bye when she passed away .All I keep saying is "I'm sorry mom" but she can no longer hear me

Also how we stopped communicating with her until it was too late. I just feel so bad thinking what she must have went through during her last days when she couldn't get hold if us ./knowing that she was dying and us being continents away.

She must have thought we stopped caring about her when we stopped writing to her .I feel so terrible now that I am 30. I view things differently now than when I was 17.

I keep getting memories on how she lived with us when she separated from my Dad but then my Dad never sent her enough money to help her. She couldn't afford to raise us so she sent us back to him but he sent us back to our grand parents instead.

I keep thinking about

-How she took us back for a holiday right after to stay with her because she missed us.

-How she used to visit us every chance she got at our grand parents

-When she spoke to me when I got my period

-How she used to buy us gifts on holidays

-How she told us not to forget about her right before we left the country

-How she sent me a cassette of my favourite singer back home when I asked her to

I keep thinking about the happy and sad moments we shared with her when I was little girl. I can still feel her love for us even though she is no longer with us. Her legacy of love will always be with us

I want to tell her that I love her and I am sorry for not making an effort to stay in touch with her .....that we didn't mean to hurt her and let her down but I cant.My sister and I are thinking to fly back home to see her grave and talk to her as if she is still alive.

Would that give us closure and make us feel better? How to live with such deep regret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:38 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,808 times
I'm tearing up, too. How heart breaking. But you were just a child. And you were a child with a lot of overwhelming things to deal with, yourself. How could you ever know what was going to happen?

If you and your sister have the means to fly back to your home country, it may help. And it might be nice to reconnect to some of your family there and to hear stories about your mother.

But even if you can't manage this, I'd bet she would understand. Not that there was necessarily something to forgive, since you were just a kid when all this happened, but I'd bet she'd forgive you and not want you to continue hurting and feeling guilty about it. She loved you and would have wanted you to be happy.

I hope you find some peace about this.

P.S., you and I have a couple of things in common. My parents also divorced when I was an infant, and the parent who didn't have custody died when I was 17. I also carried some guilt for not seeing him as much as I could have once he got sick (my other parent, like yours, wasn't very helpful facilitating that). But he died days after the doctors said he was terminal and had a few months to live. Nobody knew it would happen that fast. In the end, you can't beat yourself up forever for things that happened when you were a teen, with outcomes that you didn't expect, or didn't expect so soon. But I'm really sorry for your loss.

Last edited by Mimidae; 07-19-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I want to tell her that I love her and I am sorry for not making an effort to stay in touch with her .....that we didn't mean to hurt her and let her down but I cant.My sister and I are thinking to fly back home to see her grave and talk to her as if she is still alive.

Would that give us closure and make us feel better? How to live with such deep regret?
By all means go back and talk to her as if she's still alive. My guess is that she'll hear you and will find a way to let you know she has.

I'm sure it will make you feel better.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,679,096 times
Your profile doesn't say where you are living now. If you are in the US or Canada find a group through these people GriefShare - Grief Recovery Support Groups - GriefShare If you are in the US IM me and I may be able to help you get back to visit your grandparents

Old 08-02-2015, 04:48 AM

576 posts, read 824,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Your profile doesn't say where you are living now. If you are in the US or Canada find a group through these people GriefShare - Grief Recovery Support Groups - GriefShare If you are in the US IM me and I may be able to help you get back to visit your grandparents
Thank you for your support . I live in Canada

Old 08-08-2015, 01:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times
No one can say if that will definitely provide closure, but it's a lovely idea to do with your sister.

Perhaps you would like to talk to a counselor to discuss it all, but the thing to remember is that not only were you very young, but any blame isn't on you - it's much more complicated than that. And your stepmother sounds like a wonderful woman.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,322 times
I think everyone has offered you some pretty good advice. I'm so very sorry that you and your sister are going through this now. I really can't imagine what it must be like.

I honestly feel that those we love that have passed are still with us in ways or watching down on us. Maybe she's been sending you signs and you've never noticed them. Some people don't believe in that, but I definitely do.

If you and your sis don't have the means to travel, maybe you could have a special dinner for just the two of you in honor of your Mom and talk to her picture if you have one. You could write her a letter and say everything you've wanted to say. If you or your sis have a house, maybe you two could plant a little memorial garden in her honor and that's your special place to go and talk to her.

I just feel in my heart that they know what we're going through here on earth and I'm sure she's smiling down on both of you with all the love in her heart.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:04 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,008,766 times
OP ...."I have been bursting into tears more frequently especially when I am alone at home.I also feel guilty because I never got to say good bye when she passed away .All I keep saying is "I'm sorry mom" but she can no longer hear me"...

Oh I bet she can. She can hear you in her heart.

I sat on a five gallon bucket, in my garage, 40 years after my Grandfather passed away crying my eyes out, sobbing for his forgiveness, for an indiscretion I committed in his presence just hours before his death, when I was 8 years old. I'm sure he heard my cries.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,689 times
I think regret must be a part of the grieving process because I went through a ton of it after my husband died and then after my dad died too. I still do sometimes in fact 16, and 12 years later, respectively.

But here's the thing, and I don't think you can really know this until you have children of your own... Parents, (I'm a mom) don't really even think in terms of forgiveness, they just want their children to know how much they love them. Just know that your mom obviously realllllly loved you, and I feel sure she would never harbor a resentment over her 2 young girls being caught up with life in a new country. It's not like that with moms. They just love - no need for forgiveness. Plus being a mom automatically puts in perspective how selfish kids are. That's just the way it is. She knew.

Pray that God would tell her how much you love her, your regret, etc. He will. Try to be a bit easier on yourself.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 AM

13,298 posts, read 7,334,621 times
When your growing up you are trying to figure out life yourself. Unfortunately when parents split up it's tough on kids my mom and dad divorced when I was 16 and my father was angry about it. When he passed it was not easy. Your Mother knows how you feel, and I would not regret what you did now.

I always try to get family members to keep in touch my wife hasn't spoken to her sister in 5 years because they got into an argument at a family party. I tell my wife to call her sister one day she might not be around to resolve things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning