Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,697,249 times

Advertisements

No I agree, the saying that everything happens for a reason is superstitious baloney. Sure in many ways things DO happen for a reason but not as part of some outside force guiding you along.

Say a woman was raped, the reason she was raped was because a sicko decided to rape her. Not because it was meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,125,360 times
People really don't know what to say when they know someone has had a significant loss. Unfortunately, society and American culture has taught people to have some terrible fall-back phrases:

1. I agree that the "for a reason" comment implies that people who are deeply hurting in their grief should not be, and that is a heartless thing to say.
2. "God only gives you what you can handle," which implies that God made your loved one suffer and die just to see if you could take it. Wow. I don't believe that at all, and when I have challenged people on that one, they often admit that they don't believe it either, but didn't know what to say.
3. "He's in a better place." That may be true, but it does not help when all you ever wanted was for the person to be in THIS place, with you. It isn't cruel, but it doesn't help much, partly because it is so pat and stereotyped.

Well, that's a partial list. I have had countless people say to me "I'm sorry" and honestly, that really is the best thing to say to someone who is grieving, at least it has been for me. I always say "thank you" and I mean it. Saying with sincerity that you are sorry shows compassion, even if they don't truly understand what the griever is experiencing. I appreciate simple compassion. Sometimes a simple question about the loved one is in order, and sometimes not. Even when the other person is basically a stranger, one can express sorrow that they are hurting. That is at the center of humanity.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,929,473 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann
We just lost our nephew to suicide
Ahhhhhh I am so sorry

Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
No I agree, the saying that everything happens for a reason is superstitious baloney. Sure in many ways things DO happen for a reason but not as part of some outside force guiding you along.

Say a woman was raped, the reason she was raped was because a sicko decided to rape her. Not because it was meant to be.
And certainly not so she--or the rapist--would learn some lesson down the road.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,579,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
People really don't know what to say when they know someone has had a significant loss. Unfortunately, society and American culture has taught people to have some terrible fall-back phrases:

1. I agree that the "for a reason" comment implies that people who are deeply hurting in their grief should not be, and that is a heartless thing to say.
2. "God only gives you what you can handle," which implies that God made your loved one suffer and die just to see if you could take it. Wow. I don't believe that at all, and when I have challenged people on that one, they often admit that they don't believe it either, but didn't know what to say.
3. "He's in a better place." That may be true, but it does not help when all you ever wanted was for the person to be in THIS place, with you. It isn't cruel, but it doesn't help much, partly because it is so pat and stereotyped.

Well, that's a partial list. I have had countless people say to me "I'm sorry" and honestly, that really is the best thing to say to someone who is grieving, at least it has been for me. I always say "thank you" and I mean it. Saying with sincerity that you are sorry shows compassion, even if they don't truly understand what the griever is experiencing. I appreciate simple compassion. Sometimes a simple question about the loved one is in order, and sometimes not. Even when the other person is basically a stranger, one can express sorrow that they are hurting. That is at the center of humanity.
I agree with everything you said.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,579,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ahhhhhh I am so sorry
Thank you. I just keep asking why he thought his was life not worth living and why didn't he go to someone, anyone, for help. He was a kind man, had many good friends, a family who loved him, was always smiling, was so helpful to others, and was never bullied (that I know of).

I guess we'll never know why.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,265,631 times
All I ever say is "only the good die young" because it seems to be true.

This harsh world is just too much for some gentle souls.

I had 2 friends suicide within a week of each other last year.

At one of the funerals the Officiant said

"He did not get old, get weary, get ill
He CHOSE when to leave
What strength he had to do so"

and I tell you it helped enormously.

He DID choose when to leave. He was in control of his life right up to the end.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:22 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We just lost our nephew to suicide and my sister in law posted this on her face book page. I thought some of you would understand this article. You don't have to listen to platitudes.

Everything Doesn't Happen For A Reason

Quote: "So if anyone tells you some form of get over it, move on, or rise above, you can let them go.

If anyone avoids you amidst loss, or pretends like it didn’t happen, or disappears from your life, you can let them go.

If anyone tells you that all is not lost, that it happened for a reason, that you’ll become better as a result of your grief, you can let them go.

Let me reiterate: all of those platitudes are bull****."
I am sorry for your loss. That is very sad.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thank you. I just keep asking why he thought his was life not worth living and why didn't he go to someone, anyone, for help. He was a kind man, had many good friends, a family who loved him, was always smiling, was so helpful to others, and was never bullied (that I know of).

I guess we'll never know why.
Sometimes you don't. My mom's cousin was married, had an eight-month-old son, and one night her husband said he was going out to get firewood from the backyard and didn't come back. She went looking and found him hanging in the garage. No note. No idea why he took his life, but there was no doubt it was intentional. That was about 40 years ago. It took her a good year to stop sitting in the cemetery at his grave every day while family took care of her baby. Eventually she returned to living her life and raising her son, but I'm sure she still will wonder why for the rest of her life.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I agree. All this God's Plan crap is such bull. I would never say that to someone.
And if you do believe it, what point is there in saying it to someone who just suffered a loss? They aren't going to say "Golly, you're right, I'm just NOT seeing the Big Picture."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning