Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,282,798 times

Advertisements

I think I'm in denial.

I met my mother-in-law once. She was an old woman, who was kind, caring and a gentle soul. She fostered children when she was younger, tolerated her abusive husband until he passed from alcoholism, and most of her grown children took advantage of her financially because they knew she didn't have the heart to refuse help.

When we met, she loved me like her own daughter. She defended me after I left against the rest of her family who tried to break me and my husband apart. She gave us money as a gift when she had so little.

The last time I saw her, she waited at the bus with me and cried. I could only stay for a month. She lived an ocean away from us. We told her we will visit again once my husband's immigration paperwork is settled.

A week after his immigration paperwork was approved, she had a stroke and passed. That was two days ago.

I haven't cried but I know I cared for her. I was waiting until we have more money to go visit her, possibly next year. Plane tickets are about $1200 per person roundtrip. Without warning, she is gone. Or so I was told. I feel nothing about it, like it was a lie. I think I am in denial. Or am I cold hearted? Is there something wrong with me? I wasn't surprised that she was at the hospital, she always had a weak health but this time, she will not come back.

My husband is in shock, I think. He cried but continues his usual routine. We haven't talked much about this other than discussing how he can get there to take care of his affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:01 PM

318 posts, read 373,811 times
From what you have written, I do not get the sense at all that you're cold hearted.

If your anything like me, you feel ok now, but then it's going to hit you out of the blue. Like our minds protect us from our emotions long enough so we can think clearly, and create a plan of action. My condolences to yourself and your family.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 PM

75 posts, read 99,299 times
It will sink in later when the shock has worn off, and that's when you will really start to deal with it. Grieving has it's own schedule. I am sorry for your loss. <3

Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,119,271 times
Sometimes the degree of grief you feel does depend on your closeness/identification/love of the person who died. None of us on this forum can have any idea of your relationship with or feelings for your MIL. You may or may not have a lot of grief over her loss, and it may come on suddenly or be delayed. In any case, you should not judge yourself or hold yourself to any particular "standard" of when or how much you should grieve. Be genuine. Feel what you feel. Your respect and regard for her is not diminished or enhanced by the way you grieve; your feelings remain, despite how much or how little you cry. You can honor her in other ways besides crying. Be sensitive to your husband's feelings, and be open to talking about it, if he wants to, and be open to how he wants to honor and remember his mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning