Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
<>I just lost my dear Wife Eileen, of 27 years of marriage, plus the additional 10 years of just knowing her, and dating, six months ago, March 29th.
<>
Set your own pace, be comfortable.
The FIL was chatting up the ladies at the ALF at the wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Often 1 yr +.

Don't rush it or permit others to rush you. I know several widowed men (including FIL) who made very poor choices with innocent gold diggers who made them miserable and broke.

There are also many great success stories. Each of us will be different. Wait till you are ready, and it is right. Purpose to find friends and enjoy them.

I never dated, nor will I. Neither did my kids or spouse. There are much richer / genuine ways to find and grow relationships. Dating is not one of them. But it is the path most take
This is very good advice. In the earlier stages of grief I have seen men be so desperate to get rid of their pain that they fall into relationships they later regret. It's easy to forget that the new person is totally different than the deceased spouse and the momentary happiness of not being alone anymore is trumped by many other problems after marriage.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is very good advice. In the earlier stages of grief I have seen men be so desperate to get rid of their pain that they fall into relationships they later regret. It's easy to forget that the new person is totally different than the deceased spouse and the momentary happiness of not being alone anymore is trumped by many other problems after marriage.
I think this is excellent advice. The bottom line is that getting a new mate should never be used as a "cure" for grief. My feeling is that you adjust to your new life alone, wait until your grief is decreased to the point that it doesn't interfere with your life. Then be open to new relationships.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:14 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
You'll know when the time is right. Sorry for your loss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning