Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 01:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

I joined a group (with two trained moderators) as well as one on one counseling after my husband dropped dead suddenly and completely unexpectedly last year. I found the group to be full of irritating people but the one on one counseling was very, very effective.

Just my personal observations of my personal experiences.

I also want to say that my best friend lost her husband one week to the minute after mine. But the circumstances were a lot different - her husband was older than mine, and most importantly, he'd been sick and under hospice care for a long time beforehand so it wasn't unexpected (I heard someone at my door, opened my door, and a state trooper yanked the rug out from under my whole life - I believe gobsmacked is the best word for how I felt). She didn't go through any counseling. She went to a group once in awhile for a few weeks but quit that. But now, nearly a year out for both of us, she and I are doing very much the same - we miss our husbands terribly but are moving on with our lives. I do think she took longer to get herself on track than I did, but oh well - everyone is different, every counselor and every group are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I lost my closest brother in 1992, the day after my father-in-law died. My father died in 1996, my mother-in-law died on my birthday in 2013, a sister died in 2016, and my step-father died in 2019. No, we have not sought any counseling. Death is just part (the last part) of life, and even when sudden and accidental there is nothing to be gained by stressing out over it. I take the view that the loved ones would not want us to be so upset that we couldn't cope without professional help. An appropriate amount of grieving, sharing memories with others, and then moving on is a healthy way to go.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I lost my closest brother in 1992, the day after my father-in-law died. My father died in 1996, my mother-in-law died on my birthday in 2013, a sister died in 2016, and my step-father died in 2019. No, we have not sought any counseling. Death is just part (the last part) of life, and even when sudden and accidental there is nothing to be gained by stressing out over it. I take the view that the loved ones would not want us to be so upset that we couldn't cope without professional help. An appropriate amount of grieving, sharing memories with others, and then moving on is a healthy way to go.
Grief counseling certainly helped me process things, so I guess everyone is different.

I lost my FIL, then my MIL, then my dad, then my mom, then my younger brother and then my husband, all within a bit under six years. The oldest person was 80 (actually two people, my mother and my MIL) but the youngest (my brother, who was very close to me in age and emotionally) was only 55.

Also in that same time frame, my youngest daughter decided that I was a toxic person (even though apparently my other three adult kids haven't reached that conclusion) and she cut me completely out of her life so I haven't spoken with her in over three years and she's blocked me from any form of contact. She took four of my eight grandkids with her and disappeared. It was absolutely horrible.

So grief counseling has helped me tremendously. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I wouldn't be where I am today, basically happy and productive, if it wasn't for that one on one counseling. It was all just a bit too overwhelming emotionally - it was like I never had the time to recover from one blow before another one came along. And with my parents and inlaws, there was other drama involved - legal issues, long illnesses, etc. Oh and during much of that time, my darling brother was losing his battle with pancreatic cancer. And then after all that, my husband, who I absolutely adored, just dropped dead unexpectedly. Thank God for a good counselor.

I never did feel weak or silly or mentally unstable or whatever as I was going to a professional grief counselor. If anything, I felt strong and empowered, especially after a few months.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
I joined a Grief group and we have Zoom calls every other week along with a group chat. We check in with each other almost daily and that has helped. I am also part of several grief groups on Facebook.

I am still going to sign up for some one on one counseling too.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:08 AM

7,135 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Kathryn, I am so sorry about your daughter and grandchildren. I have found therapy to be very helpful when under extreme stress.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Kathryn, I am so sorry about your daughter and grandchildren. I have found therapy to be very helpful when under extreme stress.
Oh thank you. My daughter deciding to completely cut off her family (not just me but including me) has been one of the most heartbreaking events of my life. And it happened in the middle of losing my parents, my brother, etc. Like you, I went to counseling and found it to be very helpful.

I'm like this - if I can DO something, it worries me till I do it. But once I realize I can't do anything else, I don't worry much about something. It can be anything, from cleaning a closet out to worrying about my daughter and grandkids. So now that I feel like I really have done all I can do realistically, and the rest is up to her, I've been able to let go of it. It's still painful to me but not agonizing, thanks to the counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning