Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 05:35 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times

Advertisements

My husband died four years ago. I have done a good job of building a new life -- I moved to a new state and town, bought a lovely home, made new friends.

I have been unable to focus on my job since he died. Part of it is burnout, but I keep hearing about "widow brain" -- this kind of "bereavement ADD". Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how long did it persist? I have just given notice at my job that I just can't do it anymore. I am 62 so I am biting the bullet and taking the Social Security survivor benefit early, leaving mine to grow (assuming they don't take that away from us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Yes, I have and still do experience this. Although it was much worse in the beginning and better now (3 years after my husband's death), I can still notice it sometimes. I am especially "foggy" in noisy situations. When someone is talking to me at a party, sometimes realized that I have drifted away, and may actually be staring at something else. I have noticed this in other situations that require concentration. Sometimes I have to really work at listening or concentrating. I also become emotionally exhausted more quickly than I used to. It takes less to make me feel "that was a really long day." This website has a series of 3 articles that explain "widow brain" or "widow fog" and what to do with it. Widow Brain/Widow Fog | thewidowsfoundation.nl

The biggest thing to me is accepting that not only has my life changed, I have changed, too. My mind has gone through a tremendous trauma. Our brains change, and I can hardly expect my brain to be the same after having gone through this. I am trying to be really patient with myself. I rest more than I used to, and I try not to feel badly about that. (Part of that is getting older - I'm 65.) But I also recognize that sometimes I need an escapist activity to just put my brain into neutral. Exercise and sleep, as well as nutrition are essential in maintaining a healthy brain. Plus, I just keep my options open. If I realize that an activity isn't bringing me pleasure, I just quit that and wait until something else comes along that sounds interesting. I'm trying to give myself permission to develop slowly as my own self, no longer as part of a couple. It is sort of an exploration, an evolution. I think I'm a work in progress. But I'm going to follow the suggestions in the articles a little more closely, because I think they would be helpful.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:15 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Seven years, and I still don't look like me--at least to me.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Yes, I have and still do experience this. Although it was much worse in the beginning and better now (3 years after my husband's death), I can still notice it sometimes. I am especially "foggy" in noisy situations. When someone is talking to me at a party, sometimes realized that I have drifted away, and may actually be staring at something else. I have noticed this in other situations that require concentration. Sometimes I have to really work at listening or concentrating. I also become emotionally exhausted more quickly than I used to. It takes less to make me feel "that was a really long day." This website has a series of 3 articles that explain "widow brain" or "widow fog" and what to do with it. Widow Brain/Widow Fog | thewidowsfoundation.nl

The biggest thing to me is accepting that not only has my life changed, I have changed, too. My mind has gone through a tremendous trauma. Our brains change, and I can hardly expect my brain to be the same after having gone through this. I am trying to be really patient with myself. I rest more than I used to, and I try not to feel badly about that. (Part of that is getting older - I'm 65.) But I also recognize that sometimes I need an escapist activity to just put my brain into neutral. Exercise and sleep, as well as nutrition are essential in maintaining a healthy brain. Plus, I just keep my options open. If I realize that an activity isn't bringing me pleasure, I just quit that and wait until something else comes along that sounds interesting. I'm trying to give myself permission to develop slowly as my own self, no longer as part of a couple. It is sort of an exploration, an evolution. I think I'm a work in progress. But I'm going to follow the suggestions in the articles a little more closely, because I think they would be helpful.
Very interesting article, a very good read for all widows and widowers TY Grasshopper for posting link
At least I know what is going on in my brain

Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:

I experience the opposite other than the italicized. My wife was a psychotherapist who continually was developing herself and attempting to become a more developed person. Rather than brain fog, I find that I can just relax and words that would come from her are coming from my mouth or typing themselves on the computer. I lay no claim to those times. I do limit myself socially. I am an extreme introvert IRL and hyper-aware of everything in a social situation. I don't zone out as much as get overloaded quickly and need space to process. I've also found that I have weird intuitions that end up being true.

Everyone reacts differently to the loss of a mate and there is no right way or wrong way. If there is brain fog, there is a technique by Eugene Gendlin of "focusing" that can put you in touch with why that is there and the purpose it serves.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:

I experience the opposite other than the underlined. My wife was a psychotherapist who continually was developing herself and attempting to become a more developed person. Rather than brain fog, I find that I can just relax and words that would come from her are coming from my mouth or typing themselves on the computer. I lay no claim to those times. I do limit myself socially. I am an extreme introvert IRL and hyper-aware of everything in a social situation. I don't zone out as much as get overloaded quickly and need space to process. I've also found that I have weird intuitions that end up being true.

Everyone reacts differently to the loss of a mate and there is no right way or wrong way. If there is brain fog, there is a technique by Eugene Gendlin of "focusing" that can put you in touch with why that is there and the purpose it serves.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Four months of brain fog would be easily understandable. Four years is a lot, though. Have you ever talked to a counselor/therapist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning