Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
As my 50th birthday approaches, I am struggling with an overwhelming feeling of loss. My mother died in 2013, my only sibling very unexpectedly in 2016 and my father in 2018 after almost 1 1/2 years of hospice care in my home. It is a very strange feeling to not have anyone left of your immediate family and hard to describe to my husband.

I think he just can't understand because even though he has lost his mother and father, he has 3 siblings and their children. My brother never had children and the extended family is not in contact. I am happy to have my husband and our 3 children and we all love each other very much. (My 2 grown children are my stepsons and their mother passed away when they were young) We also have a younger daughter together and really have a fantastic family.

That said, it is still such a lonely feeling to have lost my immediate family. My husband keeps saying he knows how it feels because he lost his parents and his first wife. I also lost a fiance a couple of years before I met my husband. But this feels different. I guess I really can't explain this empty feeling to him and make him understand how it's different.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this position and has felt the way I feel about it. And if so, have you been able to describe it to anyone accurately? I just wish my husband could understand it better.

I felt this way after the second parent died....

Like I was an untethered balloon, floating alone in the wide blue sky. It diminished but that was my immediate reaction. Have a brother but not at all close...so I don't count him as supportive family. No one left now...but me.

It gets easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Yes, as gbh said, it does get better with time. I am an only child with both parents dead and my husband is dead also. It is a tough road to hoe but if you work on it within yourself, acceptance and a form of peace can be achieved.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
To the OP, I strongly suggest you pick up the book, Men Are From Mars, Woman...Venus.

It will help you understand why your husband is struggling to be good support to you.

It's not that he is unable, he simply doesn't know how.

Women are programmed to listen and be empathetic, men are programmed to fix things.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Maybe he is zeroing in on the term "family" you say you miss rather than the individuals. Or he is not wired the same way emotionally.

I am sorry you no longer have your dear family members. Can you honor them by doing something like researching your family history or putting together a special photo album and then scanning it for your kid(s)? Also I like to plant different types of trees in honor of people I miss.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
As my 50th birthday approaches, I am struggling with an overwhelming feeling of loss. My mother died in 2013, my only sibling very unexpectedly in 2016 and my father in 2018 after almost 1 1/2 years of hospice care in my home. It is a very strange feeling to not have anyone left of your immediate family and hard to describe to my husband.

I think he just can't understand because even though he has lost his mother and father, he has 3 siblings and their children. My brother never had children and the extended family is not in contact. I am happy to have my husband and our 3 children and we all love each other very much. (My 2 grown children are my stepsons and their mother passed away when they were young) We also have a younger daughter together and really have a fantastic family.

That said, it is still such a lonely feeling to have lost my immediate family. My husband keeps saying he knows how it feels because he lost his parents and his first wife. I also lost a fiance a couple of years before I met my husband. But this feels different. I guess I really can't explain this empty feeling to him and make him understand how it's different.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this position and has felt the way I feel about it. And if so, have you been able to describe it to anyone accurately? I just wish my husband could understand it better.

Unless someone has experienced profound loss they will never understand your profound loss. It isn't their failing. it is just a fact. don't hold his lack of experience against him.

Tell him when you are sad. tell him what you need from him when you are sad. people who love us will try to help the best they can when told what you want them to do.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-20-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 04:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
OP--I have been in this same situation, even with the distant siblings, except I am/was the person your husband is. My husband didn't really communicate his full feelings though. When he did it was one off comments like "I'm an orphan. I don't have any family left." I even said those same words as your husband, "My family is your family" or "What about OUR family?"

All I can tell you is that until this is his experience he cannot fully understand it. It's not because he's not sympathetic. He really cannot empathize though because his grief and perspective is different. I'll also add that some of my responses came from a deeply hidden defensive place about the great family we had created and how my family treated him in my view. Deep down I felt like he was ignoring what was right in front of him--the fantastic life we created and our two awesome kids. It felt like he was dismissing it and that hurt. I think it also bugged me that he didn't see how my family treated him as one of their own--that was my view though. His view was a bit different and he was right in some ways. Blood is thicker than water when it comes to in-laws. He understood that better than me.

I don't know if it helps to know that might drive his reaction, but it's pretty natural. Different views of the same events.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM

390 posts, read 379,928 times
I am so very sorry you are going through this. It is hard for others to empathize when they have not been through it. They can sympathize, but not empathize.

From 2014 to 2018 I lost both in laws, 2 brothers, my husband, and my Mom. People can't fathom that profound amount of loss unless they have experienced it first hand. I stopped expecting them to. To make matters worse my sister abandoned me after Mom died because of her psycho daughter (long story not for this forum). If it weren't for my 2 daughters, I would truly be alone in this world. Of course there's extended family but I mean close relationships that are special.

Sometimes it would be nice to just be allowed to cry on someones shoulder. That's why I have my pups. They comfort me more than any person. My daughters are awesome and they grieve for family too but it's not the same. When you lose your parents and your spouse you truly feel alone and kind of drift. I can't explain it. I go to work for 2 jobs but other than that I do kind of just drift through life.

I wish I could hug you

Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,601,500 times
I once read that loss of your parents and siblings is an irreplaceable loss because only those people have beared witness to your life from the beginning. You have shared experiences from birth and a special intimacy that comes from those shared experiences.

I suspect that it troubles your husband that you are sad and he wants to lessen your sadness and feels helpless.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Everyone grieves differently and for different periods of time. See a grief counselor. You have been grieving for an extended period of time. Talking to someone other than your husband or other family might be to your benefit.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:00 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Laura

You need some counseling. Primarily you as you have the issue, but a few joint visits with the husband could help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning