Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,554,059 times

Advertisements

I was at work yesterday checking my text messages. My supervisor from my former job informed me that a dear friend of mine died on Sept. 30, 2019. She was a former associate from the same company. She had been battling cancer the last four years of her life. She was declared cancer-free in 2017, but it came back last year.

I'm so sad. She was a Christian woman. She carried herself like a lady, exemplified faith, and always spoke to me about the love and importance of family. Anytime I was depressed and/or frustrated with things in life, she rebounded my spirit and helped me to see the positives. This is not the most important attribute about her: but she was beautiful! She had a body that any Hollywood actress would die for. Yet, outer beauty was not important to her; she flaunted it because that is what God gave her; but she did not flaunt her physical attributes. She was a rare gem. I will truly miss her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,281,726 times
Sorry for your loss.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,541,187 times
Your tribute to this lady is remarkable. She left you with such wonderful memories.
Sincerely sorry for this loss. She sounds like an inspiration. Do her proud . Keep her kindness going.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,589,244 times
So sorry for your loss. I've lost a few friends in the last 5-10 years and I miss them so much.

Memories of fun times make me smile. One woman friend whom I recently lost, I can still hear her laugh. It was the kind of laugh that made everyone turn their heads in a room. She passed away from cancer.

A man friend of mine was a huge man, but he had a soft voice and loved to tease. I'm still angry about his death, and how senseless it was. His wife tried and tried to get him to go to a doctor or hospital. He refused for a few days until she had to call an ambulance. He died of toxic shock that day from a damned bladder infection. It would have been so treatable.

Another friend was very kind hearted. He didn't have much money, but he would give you the shirt off his back if you were in need. His wife went to wake him up. He had died in his sleep while taking a nap after supper.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 AM

922 posts, read 800,546 times
I am so very sorry for your loss! It is always sad when someone passes, but when a person who creates joy, is always there to help or be a shoulder to cry on, or is in many ways an inspiration to others dies, the loss seems to cut more deeply.

I have lost my parents, my grandparents, stepmother, and aunts and uncles. My best friend's husband was killed in an automobile accident. Even though I mourned the loss of each of them in turn, the one that hurt the most was a woman from my church.

She was several years older than me, and had bravely fought cancer for years. She and I had a special bond, and I loved her very much. She was funny, kind, sweet and generous. When she passed, it truly broke my heart.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,357,839 times
Sorry for your loss. I can think back to 5 co-workers that passed over the past 10 years and remember positive memories that will always stay with me.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:50 PM

6,858 posts, read 11,649,147 times
If her obituary mentions any immediate family (spouse, kids, etc.) you might write a note to them expressing basically what You said in your OP. I know they would appreciate it. We expect close friends to say a nice word, but when a “peripheral aquaintance” takes the time to convey their thoughts, it is extra special and very meaningful.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:23 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,592,784 times
This is a timely thread for me, as I lost my father earlier this year and just today found out a friend has cancer. (Don't know many details yet, I hope it's treatable)

I too feel like I am starting to lose the (few) people who know much of anything about me. I realize this is the time of life (50's) when it starts happening, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Do tell her family what you said about her here. It will likely comfort them a lot.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,293,460 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If her obituary mentions any immediate family (spouse, kids, etc.) you might write a note to them expressing basically what You said in your OP. I know they would appreciate it. We expect close friends to say a nice word, but when a “peripheral aquaintance” takes the time to convey their thoughts, it is extra special and very meaningful.
I agree.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:44 PM

33,047 posts, read 36,670,672 times
Perhaps the first one is the worst. It was for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning