Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Okay will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And really do it. You lose a lot of people after someone dies.
And don't wait too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 AM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
Time heals all wounds. The more time that passes over the years since the departure of a loved one. You soon realize both how short life is and how fast time goes by.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
And don't wait too long.
well we went to visit his widow but she wasnt at her work....we were hoping to drop by for a minute but it didnt work out.So we already are tryign to keep in touch.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
True.Im sorry to hear the loss of oldest brother.I will stay in touch with them....I am just giving them time.....I just hesitate because i dont know what to say because the situation is still so surreal to me.I was expecting this to happen 20 to 30 years from now.Its so sad.Thanks for your sympathy,Gerania.
You sound like a sensitive person, and the world needs more of this.

I would send a Christmas card and share a story of how this man impacted your life in a good way, you must have some experiences, it could be something from when you are a child.

They can read the card in private, and in most cases hearing someone letting the family know how their loved one impacted someone's life can mean the world to them.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am still dealing with a loss I experienced recently.My dad's best friend passed away a couple months ago.He was like a father to me.My family has been friends with his family all my life. My dad,me , and his sons and him did a lot of things growing up like camping and fishing. I told him how much he meant to me and how he was like a father to me the night before he died.The death still came as a shock to me because he had access to the best medical care but i guess his cancer wasnt responsive to treatment.I feel sorry for his family because they have to be without him during the holidays.

I never thought of this before much but I was concerned how his family would take Halloween which was recently because Halloween is all about the macabre.I also feel sorry for his family for not having him for Thanksgiving or Christmas.Its been a couple months since he died but I am still shaken up by it.I miss him every day. He had a grandchild and it breaks my heart that she wont get to grow up with him being there or even remember him.Its just a sad situation all the way around.I just came here because i needed a way to grieve.Thanks in advance everybody.I also am heartbroken for his widow.
Is this your 1st death of someone close? My dad was my 1st, he had cancer too but it was a terminal kind. My hub had stage 4 tonsil cancer a few years later, we went to Philadelphia to get treated. He's 10 years out of treatment December 24th. It matters very much where you get treated. You don't get treated in a small town for cancer. You need a university hospital. I regret that we stayed in NJ university cancer center for my dad instead of bringing him to Philly or NY but he said no. What type of cancer did he have?

As for what to say and when, now is good IMO and say what's in your heart. You had special memories with him and how shocked and sad you are and that you don't know what to say to them but you wanted to tell them how much he meant to you.

I had and still have people tell me 14 years later how much they loved my dad and memories of him. It's always nice to be reminded.

You can find a thinking of you card and type something up to send or even FB message or email. Do you have any photos of him you'd like to share?

I'm so sorry for your loss. It still hurts me 14 years later on Thanksgiving and Christmas especially because those were the last 2 holidays I had with my dad.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:58 PM

155 posts, read 136,241 times
Quote:
Thank you ChibaCat.....I am sure i will but I havent talked to them since the funeral.....i just want to give them time and space to mourn.
Maybe they aren't like me but I was a teen when my Nanas died and both times my phone stopped ringing. I felt completely abandoned by friends I talked to daily. They said they were giving me family time. I had wished they still called.

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Is this your 1st death of someone close? My dad was my 1st, he had cancer too but it was a terminal kind. My hub had stage 4 tonsil cancer a few years later, we went to Philadelphia to get treated. He's 10 years out of treatment December 24th. It matters very much where you get treated. You don't get treated in a small town for cancer. You need a university hospital. I regret that we stayed in NJ university cancer center for my dad instead of bringing him to Philly or NY but he said no. What type of cancer did he have?

As for what to say and when, now is good IMO and say what's in your heart. You had special memories with him and how shocked and sad you are and that you don't know what to say to them but you wanted to tell them how much he meant to you.

I had and still have people tell me 14 years later how much they loved my dad and memories of him. It's always nice to be reminded.

You can find a thinking of you card and type something up to send or even FB message or email. Do you have any photos of him you'd like to share?

I'm so sorry for your loss. It still hurts me 14 years later on Thanksgiving and Christmas especially because those were the last 2 holidays I had with my dad.
Well....i have had a grandparent and friends pass..My dad's best friend had esophageal cancer. He was treated at the best cancer treatment center in the state but it was too late.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
Maybe they aren't like me but I was a teen when my Nanas died and both times my phone stopped ringing. I felt completely abandoned by friends I talked to daily. They said they were giving me family time. I had wished they still called.

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
I talked to his widow and two sons recently and we keep in touch with them.Thanks very much.I really appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Well....i have had a grandparent and friends pass..My dad's best friend had esophageal cancer. He was treated at the best cancer treatment center in the state but it was too late.
That's a shame because it's one of the easiest to treat; the odds are usually good, especially if it was caused by HPV like my hubs

Old 01-06-2020, 09:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's a shame because it's one of the easiest to treat; the odds are usually good, especially if it was caused by HPV like my hubs
Oh no it isn't, Roselvr. My husband died of esophageal cancer. It has one of the highest mortality rates. It is right there with pancreatic cancer. Only 5% of those who have esophageal cancer make it past 5 years if it goes into remission the first time. My hubby made it 3 years. So the "odds" are stacked against someone surviving esophageal cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning