Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 03:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Mq, for sharing that part of your life with us. It sounds like it was a wonderful time for you and your daughter. I'm sorry your dad left so abruptly. God bless your mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 04:47 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I got to about 25ish - never lost anyone. Just bouncing along enjoying life. Then I lost my gran, my grans sister and about 5 friends including my best friend. I don’t think I’ve ever recovered from the never ending funerals and bad news, all in what seemed like just 6 months, till this day. I’ve always been agnostic but now getting more spiritual. Think it’s just to cope with not seeing those who I loved ever again. Hit the bottle pretty heavy too since then. It’s a terrible state of affairs that unfortunately we all have to deal with. I’d probably be best getting over my macho man up way of thinking and talking to someone about it but never do. Anyway sympathy to all of you on here that know the feckin’ feeling! Much love.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Thank you, Mq, for sharing that part of your life with us. It sounds like it was a wonderful time for you and your daughter. I'm sorry your dad left so abruptly. God bless your mom.
Thanks. It was 20 years for Dad this past October. He was 78 and his death was an unexpected shock, but I am grateful he died quickly. He had lost both feet/lower legs in WWII and walked on artificial legs for 55 years, except for when infections came and he had to use the wheelchair.

He was a cheerful, upbeat, quiet person who never felt sorry for himself, but he must have suffered with the pain and disability as well as the PTSD that he mostly kept to himself. I am glad that he did not have to go through any sort of long drawn-out illness at the end of his life.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:48 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Has anyone else had this happen? News of death coming constantly one after the other? I'm starting to ask, "Will it ever end???"

In December, my cousin, who was four months older than I, died after a long illness. Even though we were both only 61, she'd been in a nursing home for a few years suffering from various ailments related to her life-long morbid obesity. Although it was expected, it was still sad. We played together all the time as kids.

Around the same time I'd been in touch with my ex-husband regarding our daughter, and within one month's time, he lost a brother suddenly and a sister expectedly. Even though we are long divorced, these people were once my family, so it was sad news to me.

In the first week of this year, I learned that a former coworker, at 66 five years older than I am, had a massive stroke on New Year's Eve and died New Year's Day. Funny, jovial guy who everyone liked and who saved a lot of his coworkers on 9/11 because of his knowledge of the building and how to get out when the group he was with encountered fire in the stairs.

My uncle died at the age of 81 the second week of January, and that death was expected because he was in kidney failure but still difficult because it was my mother's youngest and last surviving sibling. She was the oldest of four and now has outlived them all.

Last week I received the shocking news that a friend, who for seven years was my Girl Scout co-leader when our girls were kids, left her office, texted her teenage son that she was on her way home, got into her car and pulled into the parking lot and then started slowly hitting parked cars. She was dead of a brain aneurysm at 55.

Then last night I went to a retirement party and learned that another former coworker, age 54, had a heart attack and died at her desk the day before. Although we weren't close friends, we worked together for 25 years and were pregnant with our children at the same time.

It's like a week doesn't go by without hearing of another and another.

That happened to me around 2014-2015, like 7 people that were related to me or very good friends, had passed away. The emotions were awful, the sinking feeling, one after another. Then watching my family grieve, was the worst experience ever.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
That happened to me around 2014-2015, like 7 people that were related to me or very good friends, had passed away. The emotions were awful, the sinking feeling, one after another. Then watching my family grieve, was the worst experience ever.
Yes, it's still going on for me, though not every week anymore this month. But I just heard from my younger sister, in tears, this morning. Her husband's sister said she had a headache yesterday, then fell to the floor. Stroke. Very little brain activity and multiple strokes still occurring. Her daughters are at the hospital and so is my brother-in-law, waiting for a priest, and then they will take her off life support. She would have been 61 next month. Meanwhile her husband is home drunk, because he "just can't handle hospitals".

She was a nice woman, a tiny little thing, not quite five feet tall and less than a hundred pounds, always smiling.

Yes, it is a sinking feeling.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:05 PM

...still not removed from life support, but the day after his wife fell down with a stroke and went on life support, her husband put an ad on Facebook to sell her car.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 PM

Another death heard of today made me remember this thread. An old friend with whom I'd reconnected on Facebook just a few months ago died on Thursday. I still don't know from what. She was 56. She "Liked" one of my pictures one day last week, and she posted something on May 20 that sounded perfectly normal, then on May 21 her sister posted on her page saying she had died. I didn't know until my sister sent me an obituary this morning.

But, I last posted on February 28. Since then my own mother died in her sleep in March and two of her old friends, women I'd known since childhood, died of coronavirus. Two former coworkers are also dead of the virus, as is a friend's father.

I've become resigned to the idea that this is the way life will be.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Yes, it's still going on for me, though not every week anymore this month. But I just heard from my younger sister, in tears, this morning. Her husband's sister said she had a headache yesterday, then fell to the floor. Stroke. Very little brain activity and multiple strokes still occurring. Her daughters are at the hospital and so is my brother-in-law, waiting for a priest, and then they will take her off life support. She would have been 61 next month. Meanwhile her husband is home drunk, because he "just can't handle hospitals".

She was a nice woman, a tiny little thing, not quite five feet tall and less than a hundred pounds, always smiling.

Yes, it is a sinking feeling.
What happened with this lady, Mq?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Another death heard of today made me remember this thread. An old friend with whom I'd reconnected on Facebook just a few months ago died on Thursday. I still don't know from what. She was 56. She "Liked" one of my pictures one day last week, and she posted something on May 20 that sounded perfectly normal, then on May 21 her sister posted on her page saying she had died. I didn't know until my sister sent me an obituary this morning.

But, I last posted on February 28. Since then my own mother died in her sleep in March and two of her old friends, women I'd known since childhood, died of coronavirus. Two former coworkers are also dead of the virus, as is a friend's father.

I've become resigned to the idea that this is the way life will be.
So sorry. They do come in bunches. I think I posted this before (didn't look through the rest of the thread), but we had 4 family/friend deaths within a year: sister, father, father-in-law, longtime friend. The last one was January 2019 and nothing since then, thank goodness. I think you are due for a break.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What happened with this lady, Mq?
She died. Was removed from life support after a few days of testing to make sure there was no brain activity.

Wow. Seems a lifetime ago, but so much more death since then. My mother from heart failure. Five people I knew from COVID-19. A few more I didn't know but were connected to people I did. A friend last week who posted something funny on FB on 5/20, and then on 5/21 her sister posted that she was dead. 56. I still don't know why.

One more day before yesterday. Had asthma, went to the hospital in the morning having trouble breathing, died that night. 46 years old. Tested for CV, but haven't heard.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-29-2020 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning