Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 05:29 PM

100 posts, read 68,562 times

Advertisements

Hendndndneje

Last edited by MrsD2015; 03-10-2020 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:39 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,100 times
Have an honest conversation with her, letting her know how your husband feels about her frequent stays. She was married to your dad, so she should understand your need for privacy more often than not. I know it sounds cold, but she has to find something to do that is good for her. Maybe consider having her over one weekend per month. Your husband's mom understood. Your mom will also understand.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:55 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
I’m sorry for the loss of your father.

If you post this question in the grief and mourning forum, you may get responses from those who’ve experienced similarly.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/grief-mourning/

Old 03-10-2020, 06:12 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Have an honest conversation with her, letting her know how your husband feels about her frequent stays.
Um, no.

Have an honest conversation with her, letting her know how you and your husband feel about her frequent stays.

Don't make your husband the bad guy.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Please suggest that she join a widow/widowers grief support group lead by a professional grief counselor. She will have people who have been through the same thing that she has been through and will be able to share and lighten her grief.

My husband died over two years ago and my grief support group has become a wonderful group of friends and support for me (as well as for others). While I recently stopped attending weekly grief group I still join my new friends from group for breakfast twice a month as well as join them for other social things like seeing plays, attending local festivals and holiday parties.

Of course, everyone is different. Not everyone becomes quite as active with the group as me, but others see each other from group much more often, talk frequently on the phone, drive with each other to the senior center and doctor's appointments.

It has been less than two months since the death of her spouse. Your mom is still in very active grieving. I was married to my husband for 40 years (together almost 50). My son & BIL stayed with me for a week after his death, my sister stayed with me for six weeks, then I stayed with my son for another two weeks before I could face being by myself. So I had two full months before I was faced with living in an empty house without my husband. Everyone is different, but, IMHO, I think that you are being far too hard on her such a short time after the love of her life died. Do you think that you would be over the death of your husband, and being in an empty, lonely house by yourself that quickly? I hope that you don't have to experience that for many, many years.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-10-2020 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2015 View Post
Hendndndneje
Did I miss something?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Did I miss something?
Change of mind, I guess.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Did I miss something?
Not sure why she deleted it. This wasn't anything terribly unusual to discuss.

Sadly, her father passed away Jan. 14, and her mom has been staying with them (and their young daughter) since then because she says she doesn't want to stay alone in her house.

There have been issues with parents on both sides that are challenging to the marriage, and this situation is starting to be one of those.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:55 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Not sure why she deleted it. This wasn't anything terribly unusual to discuss.
Some people might post in a fit of emotion when not thinking clearly and then realize later they don't want such personal things on the internet (or, on this site in particular; I consider the rule here to be, "don't post anything you don't want people to tear apart, and possibly bring up on every other post you make, even months or years later."). Or, they may be afraid someone they know will read the post and realize it's them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning