Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 07:24 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine passed away back on February 28th of this year. He was only 30 years oldl gone way too soon. He was a great guy and a great friend. I've known him since I was 13, and had a lot of grieat times and great memories. We drifted apart in the last few years, only seeing each other once or twice a year if we were lucky. Not because of bad blood or anything, but we just became busy and had other things going on in our lives.

I was going to message him a week before he died, but never got around to it, because I was, "too busy." At the time I wasn't worried, because I knew we would reconnect. Until I got that phone call from both his girlfriend and another friend of his. I had learned that he suffered a massive heart attack the night before and that he didn't make it. My whole world came crashing down. As the day went on, it became more real. I didn't want to believe it. The wake and the funeral was this past weekend, and it has been an emotional roller coaster. I could barely look at him in his casket, because it wasn't how I wanted to remember him.

When his mother ran up and hugged me, I lost it. Same when I hugged his Dad and my friend's girlfriend. I have cried so much this past weekend, and I am struggling with the fact that I never messaged him before he passed. I wish I could see him one more time. I am trying not to blame myself or be hard on myself, but I can't help it. I wanted to tell him how we need to hangout more. There was so many things I wanted to say, and I'll never get that chance.

It's so hard for me to move forward with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
I am so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:06 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It's absolutely horrible to see young people die. I've seen it too many times. It's just one more scar.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Thank you. I am trying so hard to not beat myself up over not hanging out as much, but it's so hard not to.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's absolutely horrible to see young people die. I've seen it too many times. It's just one more scar.

Yes, it's so sad. He was a great guy and had a big heart. He had a great career, a passion for cars and racing, and he was with his girlfriend of 8 years. I'm pretty sure they were going to get engaged this year and buy a house. It's not fair that this happened to him.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 AM

922 posts, read 791,693 times
I am so sorry for your loss! It's hard to lose a friend, no matter what age. I am sure your friend knew how much you cared for him. Life just gets in the way sometimes, but that doesn't ever lessen the bond between true friends.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Thank you. I am trying so hard to not beat myself up over not hanging out as much, but it's so hard not to.

It's sad but unfortunately, the most effective help you'll get is time. In time the good memories will eventually replace the despair you feel now and you'll be thankful for having known him.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I am so sorry for your loss! It's hard to lose a friend, no matter what age. I am sure your friend knew how much you cared for him. Life just gets in the way sometimes, but that doesn't ever lessen the bond between true friends.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, another one of his friends told me that he always talked about me and had nothing but good things to say. I just wish he was still here with us.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's sad but unfortunately, the most effective help you'll get is time. In time the good memories will eventually replace the despair you feel now and you'll be thankful for having known him.

Thank you, I needed to be reminded of that. I just have to take it one day at a time. I know he wouldn't want me to beat myself up over this, so I need to remember that to help me move forward.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Thank you, I needed to be reminded of that. I just have to take it one day at a time. I know he wouldn't want me to beat myself up over this, so I need to remember that to help me move forward.

I lost an older sister when I was 23 and 47 years later I still miss her. I liken the loss to a crude wound in your heart, it hurts like hell, with time it scars over, the hole is still there but the pain is replaced by the happiness of having known them. Good luck to you, as I've said, time will be your greatest healer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning